a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Is the forum a little disorganised?

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Is the forum a little disorganised?

Post by MadAmster on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 3:10 pm

This site is OK in an organisational sense. I do not like the rigid sites like Popside. Joined that years ago and inadvertantly started a new thread about something. Blondie, who is Queen on the Popside, gave me both barrels, recharged her gun and shot again. I explained that I wasn't used to straightjacket style forums and that I hadn't realised I was either still at school or in the Army.......... She went absolute Ape on me. I haven't visited that site since.
    TotalTrash

Number of posts : 1081
    Registration date : 2009-06-09

Post by TotalTrash on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

A slightly more organised system might help for things which are non DCFC related a general football thread. TV, Films, IT help or whatever. The kind of things that are too frivolous for their own thread. That might help keep the forum moving in times when theres not so much DCFC related things to talk about.

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

In answer to the Original Question YES, I mean we now have 4 poster of the month threads wtf is happening.
    Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Li 150 on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

TotalTrash wrote:A slightly more organised system might help for things which are non DCFC related a general football thread. TV, Films, IT help or whatever. The kind of things that are too frivolous for their own thread. That might help keep the forum moving in times when theres not so much DCFC related things to talk about.
    ?que
    I thought we had all those already

Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7332
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by Bedlam on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

I think he means rather than having sections with loads of threads we just have several huge threads. I can't see how that would be of benefit though.
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10290
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

Bedlam wrote:I think he means rather than having sections with loads of threads we just have several huge threads. I can't see how that would be of benefit though.

Ooh no, me neither. 🇳🇴

Different threads within self explanatory sections, as it is now, is perfect, imo. As long as we put our threads in the right section, then I can't see any problem at all with the way this place is set up...... although I am rather partial to the odd cryptic title, which some don't seem too keen on Embarassed

Sorry, I'll try and cut them out in future but tough ti**ies!! ne ne ne ne ne
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:59 pm

Mucker1884 wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:I think he means rather than having sections with loads of threads we just have several huge threads. I can't see how that would be of benefit though.

Ooh no, me neither. 🇳🇴

Different threads within self explanatory sections, as it is now, is perfect, imo. As long as we put our threads in the right section, then I can't see any problem at all with the way this place is set up...... although I am rather partial to the odd cryptic title, which some don't seem too keen on Embarassed

and posting a new thread when it has been covered previously :whis:
    Mucker1884

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:03 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    Mucker1884 wrote:

Ooh no, me neither. 🇳🇴

and posting a new thread when it has been covered previously :whis:

Just apologised....... and made my excuses!! Embarassed
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:06 pm

Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

Sometimes the cryptic thread titles can be an advantage as it may get more people looking at the thread to see what it is about.

for example take Ginge's thread yesterday re his blog

If he had titled it "Ginge's Blog - Would you like it to continue" then you would know what the thread was about and maybe not read it.
    By titling it "Change of Format" people had to open it to read what it was about and Ginge may have got more comments to assist him make his mind up

Lets be honest the more obscure the thread title the more intrigued we are to read it

However I do think sometimes people start a new thread without giving any thought to look down the current list

Yesterday we had 3 new thread started to confirm Brolly man had resigned. I guess the people that started numbers 2 & 3 did not look on the right hand side to see there was already a thread. This mean that people aren't sure which of the 3 to comment on.
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

TBH I think that is always going to happen, I put it down to the 'I am the most self-important person alive' type of society we live in now days, I'm sure a good thrashing of children whenst in their formative years would correct this, but unfortunately, we have to understand the little brats, commincate with & encourage them.
    It wasn't like that in my day, but I digress.
    The only way to keep abreast of it is that the mods merge the topics when they see it happening.

Post by Guest on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:16 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:Sometimes the cryptic thread titles can be an advantage as it may get more people looking at the thread to see what it is about.

If he had titled it "Ginge's Blog - Would you like it to continue" then you would know what the thread was about and maybe not read it.
    By titling it "Change of Format" people had to open it to read what it was about and Ginge may have got more comments to assist him make his mind up

Lets be honest the more obscure the thread title the more intrigued we are to read it

However I do think sometimes people start a new thread without giving any thought to look down the current list

Yesterday we had 3 new thread started to confirm Brolly man had resigned. I guess the people that started numbers 2 & 3 did not look on the right hand side to see there was already a thread. This mean that people aren't sure which of the 3 to comment on.
    Yes but I posted mine with A cryptic title(which was the first one up about Wally btw) and got shouted at by that nasty Cornishman.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:Sometimes the cryptic thread titles can be an advantage as it may get more people looking at the thread to see what it is about.

I thought 'Change of format' was a reasonably accurate title.

My impression is that threads with cryptic titles get a lot fewer replies, so maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't always bother to read them.

Fionn

Number of posts : 829

Post by Fionn on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

I'm happy with the general progress of the forum.
    It doesn't need to change in any major way. Especially if it's only to mirror other forums that are out there, or others that have long met their demise.

Whilst I haven't been a regular poster for what seems ages now, I do look in every day and like to see that the forum is still there in a format that enables me to still feel that I can rejoin the ould craic whenever I can.

The forum is what made its creation necessary in the first place.

If it ain't broke...

I miss you guys. Roll on 'boro away.

COYR's.

Post by Guest on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

We can't have strict rules on how to name the threads, the content of the threads and the sections of the threads etc. It is always going to happen and I think it would be foolish and much less enjoyable
    Mucker1884

Post by Mucker1884 on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 7:38 pm

To be fair, you can suss a fair percentage of the cryptic titles, to a point at any rate..... just as long as they are in the correct category/section thingy.

Putting stuff on the wrong shelf is far more annoying than having the wrong label on 'em, imo!
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:11 pm

Mucker1884 wrote:To be fair, you can suss a fair percentage of the cryptic titles, to a point at any rate..... just as long as they are in the correct category/section thingy.

Putting stuff on the wrong shelf is far more annoying than having the wrong label on 'em, imo!

Now that I do agree with. When you try to look back on a thread it should be easy to work out which section it should be in

I noticed today that one of the threads about brolly man resigning was in the Rams section 🇳🇴
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    Mucker1884 wrote:To be fair, you can suss a fair percentage of the cryptic titles, to a point at any rate..... just as long as they are in the correct category/section thingy.

Now that I do agree with. When you try to look back on a thread it should be easy to work out which section it should be in

I noticed today that one of the threads about brolly man resigning was in the Rams section 🇳🇴
    Which one reason is why we get several threads on the same subject - BTW I've moved the thread that you mentioned.

robtheglostaram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post by robtheglostaram on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

I think the cryptic thread titles make it hard to search for things, though. Instead of searching 'Kris Commons Steve Gerrard Alleged' I'd have to search 'Fatty Scouse Snatcher', or such like.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 1:20 pm