back then 1...............the headlines

rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4270
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

back then 1...............the headlines

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 5:33 pm

My daughter bought us this magnificent present for Xmas which has all the DCFC headlines from 1912 onwards (see below).

This night was the proudest moment of my supporting life. Tonking the then 'mighty, Real Madrid.

Were you there?

I have copied some below just to get you thinking.

Gordon Cowans remember him?

How about

one for the old boys
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13750
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: back then 1...............the headlines

Post by MadAmster on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

Just the Georgeous one for me. Jackie Stamps was before my time although I played dominoes with him on many an occasion in the Sump when he was still alive. The others were after my emigration.
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10235
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 9:31 am

Wasn't a regular BBG-goer at the time, so missed out on that glorious night v Madrid.

I remember being a fan of Cowans, particularly whilst at Villa/at his peak. Past his prime before he got here, obviously, but always rated him highly. Didn't he do a decent stint in Serie A too, at one stage?

Great prezzie, RJ, but you're still left with them manky old slippers for another year!! :affraid:

Thumbs up
    robtheglostaram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post by robtheglostaram on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 11:40 am

Cracking present! I remember the United one, think that was my first ever game.
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10241
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 12:04 pm

MadAmster wrote:Just the Georgeous one for me. Jackie Stamps was before my time although I played dominoes with him on many an occasion in the Sump when he was still alive. The others were after my emigration.

Bet RJ was at the Stamps one :whis:
    rayebb1

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1960
    First ever game : derby 2 liverpool 0 - 21/10/1961
    Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by rayebb1 on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

Real Madrid - I was there..

Benfica was also a great night.

Nearly as good as beating Leeds & WHU!!!!!

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 865
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

I was there for all the European games at the BBG, but the Real Madrid night was something special! There was a really special atmosphere which I don't think I've known anyother time! And what about that goal? Goal
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4457
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Just the Georgeous one for me. Jackie Stamps was before my time although I played dominoes with him on many an occasion in the Sump when he was still alive. The others were after my emigration.

Even at 64 I was still not born when The Rams won the FA Cup but my dad (who died 22 years ago) was a personal friend of Peter Doherty. Together with my mother they went on Honeymoon to Wembley with tickets supplied by Peter Doherty. As soon as I could understand he oft retold the story of how his "best mate" scored a goal in the final. But his real hero (as of many of that time) was Jack Stamps. Apparently a "true" gentleman.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4457
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm

DavesaRam wrote:I was there for all the European games at the BBG, but the Real Madrid night was something special! There was a really special atmosphere which I don't think I've known anyother time! And what about that goal? Goal

What about that Benfica game where Colin Todd marked the then "best player in the world" Eusabio out of the game and went on to win 4-1. A truly remarkable and emotional event that has stayed well and truly in my mind.
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 865
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 1:09 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:I was there for all the European games at the BBG, but the Real Madrid night was something special! There was a really special atmosphere which I don't think I've known anyother time! And what about that goal? Goal

What about that Benfica game where Colin Todd marked the then "best player in the world" Eusabio out of the game and went on to win 4-1. A truly remarkable and emotional event that has stayed well and truly in my mind.

Now you've gone and done it, Sawley! That was a fantastic night as well! I was just a schoolkid then, and seeing such bigname stars from exotic, far-away places was absolutely magic! we didn't have the blanket TV coverage that we get now! And to have a team that could play these megastars off the pitch was awseome.

But having gone on about the Real Madrid game,you mentioning Benfica has started all the others to seem just as good!

What a period of my life, probably never to be repeated! Thank you Brian and the boys! Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23104
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

SawleyRam wrote:

3-0 Sawl..the Benfica game....and the best European night by far for me as that was the first time we played a real big name team....atmosphere was unreal that first half.

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10241
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 2:36 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:

Even at 64 I was still not born when The Rams won the FA Cup but my dad (who died 22 years ago) was a personal friend of Peter Doherty. Together with my mother they went on Honeymoon to Wembley with tickets supplied by Peter Doherty. As soon as I could understand he oft retold the story of how his "best mate" scored a goal in the final. But his real hero (as of many of that time) was Jack Stamps. Apparently a "true" gentleman.

My grandad always told me that despite going to all the home games he couldn't get a ticket for the final
    Thankfully he made it for the charity shield years later so can at least say he saw us at wembley

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 6:54 am