Nigel: squad still needs to be trimmed

HisLordship

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 1696
    Registration date : 2011-02-02

Nigel: squad still needs to be trimmed

Post by HisLordship on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:59 am

Listening to Nigel during his post match interview last night, he said that the squad still needed to be trimmed and they were looking to move out Maguire and Addison. ( also, they were clearly prepared for Green to go too)

Just when will the wages budget ever be hit? Nigel seems to have to work on the basis of having a first team squad of circa 20 players which is surely nowhere near enough and takes no account of injuries, suspensions or, freshening the team up due to loss of form.

Let me leave you with one further thought about the depth of squad. Barker and Shackell are injured and Buxton is drafted into centre half with Naylor. How many games in the Championship would we win with those two?
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4453
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Re: Nigel: squad still needs to be trimmed

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:41 am

HisLordship wrote:Listening to Nigel during his post match interview last night, he said that the squad still needed to be trimmed and they were looking to move out Maguire and Addison. ( also, they were clearly prepared for Green to go too)

Just when will the wages budget ever be hit? Nigel seems to have to work
    on the basis of having a first team squad of circa 20 players which is
    surely nowhere near enough and takes no account of injuries, suspensions
    or, freshening the team up due to loss of form.

Let me leave you with one further thought about the depth of squad. Barker and Shackell are injured and Buxton is drafted into centre half with Naylor. How many games in the Championship would we win with those two?

That is a totally unfair misquote of what was said HL. Nigel said that
    there had been enquiries for Maguire and Addison to go out on loan, but
    came to naught. We all know about Green's situation. Since when have
    Maguire and Addison come in to freshen up the team anyway?

Let me leave you with this one thought, how do you know about Naylor's performance HL? We've seen hardly anything of him ATM and you are casting aspersions already? At least give the lad a chance!
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6256
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:46 am

I have posted before that it is my opinion that sometime around June the investors decided that they weren't going to put any more cash into the club - previously they have been making up the losses each season. Now I think the strategy is to run the club as a profitable enterprise in the Championship. This requires the wage bill to be around £5m a year.

The hope (and the way of getting the fans onside) is that FFP will drive down wages across the Championship, thus, making £5m a reasonably competitive wage budget. It is my opinion that FFP will, if it is even implimented, will be so toothless that it will be ignored and set asside after a season. I don't believe that it is possible to run a profitable and competitive Championship club. Both Coventry and Sheffield Wednesday efectivelly ran out of money and were forced to live within their means - I fear that we will face a similar situation.

Of course, if living within your means is not an option for a competitive squad, then it leaves a funding conundrum. Where are you going to get extra funds from? Although the Plaza development offers some long term hope, it will, in itself, need significant capital to get it built and is likely to struggle to provide significant income until the economy picks up. The other alternatives are taking on debt - with obvious implications for the long term future of the club, or extra investment - why would anyone pour money into a loss making enterpise that only offers a profit from the slim chance of promotion? Sadly, I don't know the answer unless we can find an honest, benevolent and generous benefactor.

Over the last few days I have noticed the same posts appearing that have been a feature of Derby County forums in the weeks following the end of the transfer window. GSE/owners will invest in the new window. Mark my words and feel free to remind me of this in September - there will be more cost cutting in the summer and no significant investment.

Last edited by CornwallRam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Li 150 on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:55 am

it's just all sooo depressing 😢

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4453
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:02 am

CornwallRam wrote:I have posted before that it is my opinion that sometime around June the investors decided that they weren't going to put any more cash into the club - previously they have been making up the losses each season. Now I think the strategy is to run the club as a profitable enterprise in the Championship. This requires the wage bill to be around £5m a year.

The hope (and the way of getting the fans onside) is that FFP will drive down wages across the Championship, thus, making £5m a reasonably competitive wage budget. It is my opinion that FFP will, if it is even implimented, will be so toothless that it will be ignored and set asside after a season. I don't believe that it is possible to run a profitable and competitive Championship club. Both Coventry and Sheffield Wednesday efectivelly ran out of money and were forced to live within their means - I fear that we will face a similar situation.

Of course, if living within your means is not an option for a competitive squad, then it leaves a funding conundrum. Where are you going to get extra funds from? Although the Plaza development offers some long term hope, it will, in itself, need significant capital to get it built and is likely to struggle to provide significant income until the economy picks up. The other alternatives are taking on debt - with obvious implications for the long term future of the club, or extra investment - why would anyone pour money into a loss making enterpise that only offers a profit from the slim chance of promotion? Sadly, I don't know the answer unless we can find an honest, benevolent and generous benefactor.

Over the last few days I have noticed the same posts appearing that have been a feature of Derby County forums in the weeks following the end of the transfer window. GSE/owners will invest in the new window. Mark my words and feel free to remind me of this in Septemeber - there will be more cost cutting in the summer and no significant investment.

Being forever the optimist Cornwall I do disagree with your thinking. I believe the decks are being cleared for a "significant" investment in the summer in order to push on to the playoffs. The waiting game is the hardest game to play.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6256

Post by CornwallRam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:09 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:I have posted before that it is my opinion that sometime around June the investors decided that they weren't going to put any more cash into the club - previously they have been making up the losses each season. Now I think the strategy is to run the club as a profitable enterprise in the Championship. This requires the wage bill to be around £5m a year.

Over the last few days I have noticed the same posts appearing that have been a feature of Derby County forums in the weeks following the end of the transfer window. GSE/owners will invest in the new window. Mark my words and feel free to remind me of this in Septemeber - there will be more cost cutting in the summer and no significant investment.

Being forever the optimist Cornwall I do disagree with your thinking. I believe the decks are being cleared for a "significant" investment in the summer in order to push on to the playoffs. The waiting game is the hardest game to play.

I believe the decks are being cleared because we have absolutely no money - only time will tell who is right.
    Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7332
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by Bedlam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:28 am

Over the last few days I have noticed the same posts appearing that have been a feature of Derby County forums in the weeks following the end of the transfer window. GSE/owners will invest in the new window. Mark my words and feel free to remind me of this in September - there will be more cost cutting in the summer and no significant investment.
    There are going to be a awful lot of bust clubs around in the next few years if as you say it isn't possible to run a profitable and competative Championship club and no one is going to be willing to pour money into a loss making enterprise.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4345
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:55 am

I said this in a previous thread and think it runs even truer here.

This club is not ready to buy lots of new superstar players. It doesn't work. Look at the likes of Leicester and Ipswich. They've splashed the cash and brought in a lot of 'proven' Championship quality players and are falling pretty flat at the moment. Now look at the likes of Southampton and Swansea who have had a steady team that have developed together and had new better quality players added to them over time.

QPR took years of midtable obscurity before splashing cash worked and made them a formidable team and even Man City are proving that a bottomless pit of money does not buy you success.. in stark contrast Man Utd still remain very much in the race (y'know, the team that has been developed a squad and added to it over years and years of stability without throwing stupid money around for a few years).

We've currently developed the squad from relegation certainties to relegation battlers and then into a midtable outfit (as was promised for this season). Next season will probably be the next round of investment in creating a playoff chasing team. I don't know.. it just seems like common sense to me. Football has become far too much of a quick fix business - fans are too impatient.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13741

Post by MadAmster on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:08 am

I think that the rich guys who back GSE came here knowing that, on top of the initial purchase price, that they would have to fund losses for a few years before the club was self financing and in a position to promote.

Their major reason was the Plaza. That offers a development possibility that has a known cost and a perennial profit once built. DCFC own the land. Without DCFC nobody can build a Plaza or similar.

They saw a profit opportunity, to take that opportunity they need DCFC and all that goes with it.

Cynical? Definitely, but that is my opinion. GSE's backers are hard nosed businessmen with a track record of success and you don't get that by being charitable.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11190
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:13 am

Fair enough if that's the hand we've been dealt but, if Glick fills the late part of this season and the early part of the summer with his usual bullsh*t and lies in order to sell season tickets, then he should be hounded out of his job by disgruntled fans.
    Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly

Post by Bedlam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:

Fair enough if that's the hand we've been dealt but, if Glick fills the late part of this season and the early part of the summer with his usual bullsh*t and lies in order to sell season tickets, then he should be hounded out of his job by disgruntled fans.
    Isn't that his job, to get as much money in as possible? Surely no one buys a season ticket just because Tom Glick says we are going to sign a striker.
    swadieram

Number of posts : 1232
    Registration date : 2009-04-22

Post by swadieram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

SawleyRam wrote:

I'm with you SR, the way the club has prepaired itself for the FFP should put us in a strong position
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

Behave Bedders, you can't claim that it is ok for Glick to lie to sell tickets, and then claim that his lies don't sell tickets.

If season ticket holders are faced with the club telling us that they are going to invest in a forward, a midfielder and a left back OR they say that they will sell a couple of players to trim the wages and have no plans to bring anybody in. Which do you think would sell the most tickets? If there is no difference then there would be no need for Glick to lie would there?
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23100

Post by New England Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:

I agree i can deal with the truth i hate the spin.
    In fact given the state of football i have less and less problems with the way the club seems to be being run...but i hate the summer pantomime which is Tom Tom perched next to the Clough and Taylor statue talking about the up coming investment to pad the squad with quality established players.

HisLordship

Number of posts : 1696
    Registration date : 2011-02-02

Post by HisLordship on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:

In fact given the state of football i have less and less problems with the way the club seems to be being run...but i hate the summer pantomime which is Tom Tom perched next to the Clough and Taylor statue talking about the up coming investment to pad the squad with quality established players.

I noticed the other day that Swansea lost around £8m in their promotion season. Indeed, from everything I have read it seems almost impossible to gain promotion back to the Premiership without significant investment and an operating loss. Given the increased levels of parachute payments these days then, it probably makes it even harder to compete for promotion without the additional costs being underwritten by investors. ( possibly Blackpool excepted)
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

HisLordship wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:

I noticed the other day that Swansea lost around £8m in their promotion season. Indeed, from everything I have read it seems almost impossible to gain promotion back to the Premiership without significant investment and an operating loss. Given the increased levels of parachute payments these days then, it probably makes it even harder to compete for promotion without the additional costs being underwritten by investors. ( possibly Blackpool excepted)

Yeah i doubt we will get promoted under or current set up regard funding. It is possible but i believe you need that kind of character like the little cu** we used to have or a Holloway who will come in with their smoke and mirrors and motivational powers and pull off a over achieving season with a team that is nothing more than just above average.

While recognizing that Nigel is doing a fair job while working under restrictions I am not convinced (and never have been) that he is that kind of character and i am not sure the long term building plan which seems to be the way (on paper at least) we are going..will not see us fall further and further from the pack as the rich seem to be continuing to get richer and richer despite everything sensible pointing the opposite way.

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Behave Bedders, you can't claim that it is ok for Glick to lie to sell tickets, and then claim that his lies don't sell tickets.

If season ticket holders are faced with the club telling us that they are going to invest in a forward, a midfielder and a left back OR they say that they will sell a couple of players to trim the wages and have no plans to bring anybody in. Which do you think would sell the most tickets? If there is no difference then there would be no need for Glick to lie would there?

First thing is he doesn't actually tell any lies. Saying we hope to get players in and then not getting them isn't lying. . I personally don't believe that telling supporters of a clubs hopes makes a blind bit of difference to the season ticket sales in the long run.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

There's a multi million (maybe even billion) pound advertising industry that disagrees with you mate.

In the last close season he never once said that he "hoped" to bring in a centre forward and a midfield general, he said it would happen but that it might take until later in the transfer window, as these deals were more complex. I think it's clear from most of what Nigel said that he also expected Glick to deliverrather than hoped that he would.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:26 pm

If its not lying its just plain bullshit...failing that he is just incompetent at what he is supposed to be doing regards giving Nigel the players he needs.

Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Li 150 on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    Yeah i doubt we will get promoted under or current set up regard funding. It is possible but i believe you need that kind of character like the little cu** we used to have or a Holloway who will come in with their smoke and mirrors and motivational powers and pull off a over achieving season with a team that is nothing more than just above average.

While recognizing that Nigel is doing a fair job while working under restrictions I am not convinced (and never have been) that he is that kind of character and i am not sure the long term building plan which seems to be the way (on paper at least) we are going..will not see us fall further and further from the pack as the rich seem to be continuing to get richer and richer despite everything sensible pointing the opposite way.

Spot on there NER.

Hoe the feck do steal my post before I've even written them????

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:14 pm

New England Ram wrote:If its not lying its just plain bullshit...failing that he is just incompetent at what he is supposed to be doing regards giving Nigel the players he needs.
    I would assume that we just cannot afford to buy the players we really need and have to make do with the ones we can afford.
    Bedlam

Post by Bedlam on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:18 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:There's a multi million (maybe even billion) pound advertising industry that disagrees with you mate.

In the last close season he never once said that he "hoped" to bring in a centre forward and a midfield general, he said it would happen but that it might take until later in the transfer window, as these deals were more complex. I think it's clear from most of what Nigel said that he also expected Glick to deliverrather than hoped that he would.

Must be just me then.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

No mate it isn't, but there are more that are influenced than those who aren't in my opinion, which is why people lie/stretch the truth/bullsh*t
    ianm

Number of posts : 724
    Registration date : 2011-08-24

Post by ianm on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

I agree with all that other than that the wage budget can be a bit higher than 5m, more likely 8m. I expect a couple of new players to come in the summer with the aim of selling Season Tickets. FFP is a red herring used by Glick as it will be phased in allowing plenty of time to comply. 2017 is the earliest it will be fully operational.

Why can't Glick just come out and say the owners are not willing to put any money in and all the cost cutting is to make the club sustain itself. My guess it is seen as bad PR to admit there is no money and it is preferable to string the fans along with half truths and promises.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3691
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

Maybe we should have a competition to see who can predict some of the phrases Mr Glick will include in his rallying speech around season ticket renewal time.

My prediction is that the following will all feature:

"Nigel is our guy" (a popular phrase last year)

"Year on year improvement has been achieved"

"Push for promotion next season"

"GSE has no intention of investing in new players, so get used to it"

Well, maybe not that last one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm