Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Bowsers.....WTF is happening?????

Post by Li 150 on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

I am losing all patience with all browser providers, mozilla can't play you tube clips, or doesn't show anything because flash won't work properly, so you'd think that with google things would work, videoes work but then HTML editing disappears
    so what doesn't work on mozilla works on google ut then somethings don't work on both but work on IE

totally pissed off with them all and their constant updating and fecking up half of what you are used to using are they all just trying to shift us to tablets?

Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10292
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Re: Bowsers.....WTF is happening?????

Post by Mucker1884 on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 9:28 pm

I haven't got a scoobies bollock what you are droning on about, but I see you have added a hint of a tint to the back ground..... very nice! Thank you! Thumbs up

:fb11:
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm

well it seems that everything only works on IE, after years of not using it I now have to acclimatise myself to it once again

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16356
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:11 am

It's not the browsers' fault - it's probably Adobe's doing.

Adobe doesn't support Windows XP 64-bit or Vista 64-bit in the current version of Flash.

I installed an earlier version of Flash to get YouTube etc working again with Firefox.
    The alternative is to install the 32-bit version of the current Flash.
    You then need to avoid letting Adobe update itself automatically or it's back to square one.

Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 8:28 am

I've got 32 bit windows 7.
    How do I regress the flash player, do I do that through the add-ons?
    or
    do I need to do that through the control panel?
    and where do I find an old version & which version do I need?

Thanks Sheldon

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15002
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:05 am

I thought I had W7x32 too. Turns out I have x64 on this desktop and Vista x32 on the laptop.

I have no problems whatsoever with Flash video on either machine, nor on my Android HTC Hero phone. My lads also have no bother on their desk- and laptops (yes they both have one of each). 'Er indoors borrows mine, whichever I'm not actually using at that time.

Li, you can't blame Google or Firefox for your inadequate hard- and/or software. Know your onions as they say. BMP's are visible with IE but not other browsers, Apple doesn't do Flash, (center) doesn't work on some browsers anymore, you have to use the
    (div) tag. All manner of old commands don't work these days. For instance,"hey, you at the back, STFU" doesn't give silence anymore. It generates a response such as "but, I didn't say anything" which tends to invite the retort " that's true, but you were talking a lot". This results in the pupil being spoken to displaying a look that says "I know all the words but don't understand what he said" while his, cleverer, classmates are all laughing at him "Sir, dissed you".......

Any similarity between the scenario above and real-life is purely intentional.

Edited as the usual HTML chevrons aren't accepted in text the square [ brackets let phpbb think it's an html tag so I have now used ( and ) brackets to show what I meant. Daftest thing is, the center tag using ( and ) seems to actually work as a tag

Last edited by MadAmster on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlvoRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24

Post by AlvoRAM on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:19 am

Not sure what you've done Li, but chrome was working fine on this site, so was firefox, but now the layout in chrome is a little messed up, although I prefer the lighter colour scheme (not sure if that is deliberate or another screw up.)

I share your frustration though, when I was studying for my web design diploma, it was one of the first things we were taught, to make our sites compatible with all of the 3 major browsers, which at the time were IE, FF, and some apple piece of ****. I'm not exactly up to date on it all, but back then that meant doing things like including snippets of JS code that changed the main body of code according to which browser was detected, or using multiple CSS styles according to which browser was detected, and so on. What I'm trying to say is, it's not a new problem, it's always been the case, and is usually easily fixed with a little study and research.
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm

In answer to the aboves:
    since starting this site I have never experienced the problems that I now have
    PC doesn't show any utube videos and gives an error message
    Laptop was working fine but now is soooooo slow when viewing videos or doesn't play at all
    The html for this site doesn't work on firefox
    Html editor in chrome doesn't even show up
    Everything works in IE for some strange reason

Other example you can register with facebook on chrome but the option doesn't appear on IF or firefox

I have never experienced any of this shit and to this degree before and a quick google search shows I am not the only one
    https://www.google.com/search?q=no+you+tube+on+firefox&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a

I refute the accusation that it is something I have done, it is abode, google, firefox,apple & MS in a battle to gain browser superiority (maybe because as free-marketeers they really understand that choice is only achieved when one conglomerate dominates the market) I personally feel it is a backward step and will lead to having to use multiple browser as each offers something different whereas in the recent past there has been a more standardising approach to the whole thing.

OOOhh I love a rant, but basically what I am saying is that it is getting increasingly more & more frustarting to keep this site running.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5821
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:36 pm

Can I just point out at this juncture that I have absolutely no idea what any of you folk are talking about.

If my computer starts playing up, I usually leave an extra portion of food by the hamster wheel and wait until the morning.

It works a treat.
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:48 pm

and you can keep out of this Mr Stockport as I still haven't forgiven you for joining the GTS late. It's not the lateness of your application to join but the audacity you show by getting a correct score immediately on joining - impudence at it's highest 😢

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:10 pm

Sorry Li, my intentions were not to indicate that it was something you had done... more that it was a common thing, and usually results from something you had not done, either because you don't have full access to the code (forumotions problem) or because you don't yet know how.

Although you have changed something as far as chrome is concerned, because the site was working in chrome, as far as layout was concerned, now it isn't...
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

Right.........

1. Stockers will be reported to the RSPCA for animal cruelty
    2. I never knew Alvo was a Web designer
    3. Sorry if Li took my innocent post as a dig. I was attempting, in what was intended to be (and obviously wasn't) a humorous way to portray exactly what he said in post #8. Things change. We don't always know they have changed. We never know why........ We simply suffer the consequences.

I have handy software I used to use, up to and including on XP. With Vista, 7 and 8, the computer doesn't even recognise the CD/DVD the software is on. Handy little things that do useful bits like creating .doc(x) files and/or pdf's when you scan something in. Software that turns a pdf into a docx or vice versa. Software I actually paid for and can no longer use. Not my fault.

Just as it isn't Li's fault that the MB software doesn't seem compatible with new versions of web browsers. We simply don't get forewarned of these changes folk make.

For example. Iforumer is responsible for the demise of the SSA. Several weeks ago they updated the phpbb software. The SSA site gave virtually nothing but errors. Poor old Rystar has been working his rocks off to get it back to how it was. That is taking time. Posting began to drop off to the extent that there have been half a dozen posts in the past 5 weeks, mainly from me :) It got so bad that I even used my Popside a/c for the first time in years (wont last long though). Still don't like the way it's set up, 1 huge thread for a broad spectrum of things rather than 1 thread per item. The folk on there are used to it so it's me not them. I just don't seem able to get used to it. Each thread has 10000's of posts and you are expected to trawl through them all just in case somebody has posted that which you wish to post, previously...... Had a discussion about it donkeys years ago with Blondie....... she runs it her way, her right too, it just doesn't work for me. No criticism of her or the site intended.

Li, could it be that, like iforumer, forumotion has changed something and what you are experiencing is down to that?
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

the reply was also written with humour in mind but meant to read as someone who is having a rant and whose head is exploding and feeling that the world was against him, maybe it was too close to the truth to be funny - but that's satire for you.

And alvo, I haven't touched a feckin thing in chrome, I have no access to codes, therefore I still say it is not me it's those bastards without girlfriends that are feckin the world up

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

Li, that's my feeling too, that this is a forumotion problem, as you have little to no access to the base code for the site, report it to forumotion, see what they say.

Ammy, I'm not, I studied back in 2002 - 2003, built a few sites for local businesses and organisations, carried on self-studying things like php, built a few more sites, and then haven't done anything with it since... technology moves fast. That being said, I could have helped SSA update without ever being offline, it's a simple concept really, backup the database, create a brand new folder on the server for a brand new install of the latest phpbb, with a brand new database, that you input your backup to.... if and when that is all working you just redirect your main domain to the new install, if it doesn't work, you still have the original install up and running, why people update any other way, such us update patches, or automated updates is beyond me, too much risk.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:03 pm

The problem at SSA was that the provider, iforumer, updated all their S/w and SSA just didn't work any more.
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

feckin geeks, they're even worse than plebs :roll:

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14703

Post by chicken on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:24 pm

All I can say is that I use Firefox on here and can see all videos and photos etc. However, that white is still far too bright!!!! :lol!:

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

MadAmster wrote:The problem at SSA was that the provider, iforumer, updated all their S/w and SSA just didn't work any more.

Similar situation to here then it seems... I've never ran a forum from one of these free providers, it's so cheap to get a small hosting package with php and MySQL that I've always just rented the space, installed my own phpbb or other script, and had full, complete, godlike control...
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 7:01 pm

AlvoRAM wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:The problem at SSA was that the provider, iforumer, updated all their S/w and SSA just didn't work any more.

Similar situation to here then it seems... I've never ran a forum from one of these free providers, it's so cheap to get a small hosting package with php and MySQL that I've always just rented the space, installed my own phpbb or other script, and had full, complete, godlike control...

As did I with the emcforum.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4444
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:11 pm

*********WARNING**********

This thread may contain GEEKS :affraid:
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:29 pm

BTW Li...... I just checked the title.............. what the hell are Bowsers?

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

RJ had it right ammy, Li is a geek, hes been at the classic Mario again!
    Li 150
    Admin

Post by Li 150 on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 9:57 pm

MadAmster wrote:BTW Li...... I just checked the title.............. what the hell are Bowsers?

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5010
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

AlvoRAM wrote:Li, that's my feeling too, that this is a forumotion problem, as you have little to no access to the base code for the site, report it to forumotion, see what they say.

Ammy, I'm not, I studied back in 2002 - 2003, built a few sites for local businesses and organisations, carried on self-studying things like php, built a few more sites, and then haven't done anything with it since... technology moves fast. That being said, I could have helped SSA update without ever being offline, it's a simple concept really, backup the database, create a brand new folder on the server for a brand new install of the latest phpbb, with a brand new database, that you input your backup to.... if and when that is all working you just redirect your main domain to the new install, if it doesn't work, you still have the original install up and running, why people update any other way, such us update patches, or automated updates is beyond me, too much risk.

I just restart my computer that usually cures it.......

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:Li, that's my feeling too, that this is a forumotion problem, as you have little to no access to the base code for the site, report it to forumotion, see what they say.

I just restart my computer that usually cures it.......

And if it doesn't then throwing the computer out of the top floor window is the best last resort fix I can think of.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:51 am