Last ever Python gig

Boris

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Last ever Python gig

Post by Boris on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:51 am

was shown live last night on UK Gold. Anyone see it? Not sure what to make of it. I am a big fan but got the impression they were going through the motions and a bit too much of a 'Musical' feel to it all. Some of the classics were there, liked the 'Argument' sketch and 'Four Yorkshireman' but it was almost like going back to an old favourite hotel where you hadn't been for 30 years and it wasn't quite as good as you remembered......
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14612
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Last ever Python gig

Post by MadAmster on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 9:26 am

I was gutted a while back. Heard that it was a sellout and didn't even know the concerts were on. Then, yesterday afternoon, a colleague of my wife put up on FB that, due to unforeseen circumstances they were unable to go to the live screening at a cinema in Haarlem, 30 minutes drive from here. They were e-tickets and the first to claim the two could have them for free. I also didn't know the concert was going to be broadcast live in the cinema....... we claimed, and got, the tickets and they were free!!

8:00 start was a half hour film of background stories and trailer bits. Amusing and slightly interesting. Then the show in two halves with a 30 minute pause. I didn't get the same "freewheeling" feeling as Boris but one thing was obvious, the Pythons were relaxed and appeared to be enjoying themselves. I understand the "musical" reference but also understand why. With a combined age of something like 358 they were going to need some rest and changing costumes would take a little longer than normal. I, too, would have preferred a few more sketches but I can live with the fact that there weren't. this was my 2nd Python live show, the previous one being at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane way back in the early 70's. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, quite possibly due to it bringing back so many wonderful memories. The sellout audience in the cinema loved it. I sang along to the songs, much to the chagrin of the guy sat on my right :lol!: and laughed heartily throughout. The odd line had been changed and the changes fitted in. The first new line was in the opening 4 yorkshiremen sketch. Chateau de Chassille became "still doing Monty Python". The nuance changes were lost on many of the Dutch audience but Python fanatics like me will have spotted them and enjoyed them. I liked the way the Dead Parrot sketch rolled seamlessly int the cheese shop routine. Two sketches rolled int one. The irreverence of Python came to the fore. Cleese lost the plot and had to be prompted by Palin, more than once which led to improv wherein they had a go at the Daily Mail and led them to say that this would not have a good effect on the reviews..... I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and went home happy as a Ram with a Thorne in his side.

Two different viewpoints....... but that is Python. I am glad I was there.

Whilst at the cinema we discovered that the show will be reshown in 5 Dutch cinemas on August the 6th. If my wife's colleague can go on that date, she will get two tickets from us.

bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3883
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 1:36 pm

I saw the Pythons live on stage in Manchester in 1973 and it was an excellent show, with John Cleese selling albatross from a tray to the audience.

I'd never have believed they'd be doing the same routines over 40 years later.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm

It wasn't funny first time around, never mind now!
    Boris

Post by Boris on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm

chicken wrote:It wasn't funny first time around, never mind now!

A lot of people would disagree with that sweeping statement Chicken  :shock: 
    Hectors House

First ever game : Burnley i think
    Number of posts : 1505
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by Hectors House on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm

Comedy is a personal thing Boris. What one finds funny another doesnt. I remember crying with laughter at laurel & hardy and my girlfriend saying it just isnt funny. I know many people who didnt find Monty Python the least bit funny

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

Boris wrote:
    chicken wrote:It wasn't funny first time around, never mind now!

A lot of people would disagree with that sweeping statement Chicken  :shock: 

Yes a lot of people would disagree. I don't care. It was crap then and it's crap now!!

AlvoRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:52 pm

Didn't see it the first time around (obviously) but having seen it since, I'm very grateful it all ended in the year I was born (reunions aside.)

I've always put my dislike of it down to the possibility of it being one of those 'you had to be there at the time' things.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14612
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 8:46 am

One comment I made during the showing was that the sketches could not be written and performed by today's artists. Not because today's writers/performers are any less skilled but because of Laws and that awful thing called Political Correctness.

All manner of stereotypes were dealt with equally disrespectfully. Chinese, foreigners, Catholics, protestants, Jews, the Posh, Yorkshiremen and so many more.

Chicken is not alone in not liking Python and not finding it funny. There are many who don't. In the circles I move in I know more who like it than those who don't. Comedy is very personal. You like something or you don't. I'd argue with Chicken's assertion of it not being funny. It isn't funny to her but it is to many. Something isn't funny when (almost?) nobody finds it so. My wife and 2 lads find Graham Norton funny. I don't. That doesn't mean he isn't funny, he just doesn't appeal to me.
    Boris

Post by Boris on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 2:34 pm

MadAmster wrote:One comment I made during the showing was that the sketches could not be written and performed by today's artists. Not because today's writers/performers are any less skilled but because of Laws and that awful thing called Political Correctness.

All manner of stereotypes were dealt with equally disrespectfully. Chinese, foreigners, Catholics, protestants, Jews, the Posh, Yorkshiremen and so many more.

Chicken is not alone in not liking Python and not finding it funny. There are many who don't. In the circles I move in I know more who like it than those who don't. Comedy is very personal. You like something or you don't. I'd argue with Chicken's assertion of it not being funny. It isn't funny to her but it is to many. Something isn't funny when (almost?) nobody finds it so. My wife and 2 lads find Graham Norton funny. I don't. That doesn't mean he isn't funny, he just doesn't appeal to me.

Agree with that, comedy is a personal thing as you say. Many like 'Mrs Brown's Boys'..I hate it with a passion and have to walk out the room if its on. I think what makes Python stand out is how totally new and different it was..they have been called 'The Beatles of Comedy' which I think is a good comparison. So many comedians of today have been influenced by them and so their impact is ongoing......anyway, is this the right forum for an argument  :whis: 
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10290
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:00 pm

Boris wrote:
    ... Many like 'Mrs Brown's Boys'..I hate it with a passion and have to walk out the room if its on....  

BORIS!!  We do have something in common afterall.  And very much so!

I feel like I've found the brother I never had!   ;) Thumbs up :D:
    Boris

Post by Boris on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:06 pm

Mucker1884 wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    ... Many like 'Mrs Brown's Boys'..I hate it with a passion and have to walk out the room if its on....  

BORIS!!  We do have something in common afterall.  And very much so!

I feel like I've found the brother I never had!   ;) Thumbs up :D:

:woo: :f_hug10.gif: 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm