Will Nigel welcome him back?
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15712
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Re: Ched Evans

Post by RRC on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 4:36 pm

It will be difficult for the club to welcome Evans back with the petition and all the publicity.

If he's done the decent thing by admitting what he did and apologizing for putting that poor lass
    through the ordeal of a trial, fair enough - he's served his time such as it was.

TBH I wouldn't be pleased if Derby welcomed back rapists or other criminals.
    We soon got shot of that Scottish drunk driver, but he was hardly an asset to the club anyway.

purpleram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 4:44 pm

I agree I would find it hard to support the club that played a rapist, other types of crime in certain circumstances I could be a little more forgiving, especially if they show genuine contrition.

It would test the mettle of any club to throw away a valuable asset, even Barca have shown they are no better than the rest.

AlvoRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24

Post by AlvoRAM on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 4:44 pm

This will be difficult though, because the consensus amongst united fans seems to be that he has served his time, and is welcome back. It seems the petition, and the names on it, are not representative of that club, instead it represents the broader opinions of the whole country. This is a quality player, who they paid a lot of money for, and who could probably get into most championship teams if they do not resign him. If they don't sign him, they lose £3M and somebody else gains a player. It's not like every team will make a stand, so it will make little difference to his rehabilitation if united do. Can't see Nigel being too happy about it, although he probably has no say.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 844
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 9:52 pm

Nigel-s favourite way of showing his displeasure at a player was to put said player on the naughty step. He used it a lot at Derby, so I hope he took it with him when he went to Sheffield. It would be ideal for young Ched.

Posted from my Android passion for Derby County.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13542
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:51 pm

Difficult one this. Would I want a convicted rapist playing for Derby? Not really. However, how valid is my thinking. Why shouldn't a footballer, after serving his time go back to his former trade?

Is it also wrong for a road sweeper who has been convicted of rape to go back road sweeping after his release from his sentence?

Part of our heritage is that, after you have served a sentence, you can go back to your old life. there are exceptions. Pedos aren't allowed to come into contact with kids for obvious reasons. However, in most crimes, you are allowed to return to your old career. Why should footballers be treated differently to those from other "professions"?

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm

Good point Ammy. Still not sure about sex offenders?

This Nigels naughty step bollocks appears to me to be just that, Jay Maceverley? just signed for united, a player supposedly once on the step, Porter signed for them, supposedly on the step. The internet has turned gossip and froth into fact.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11111
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:33 pm

It should be self policing. If the other players refused to play alongside a convicted rapist as most of us surely would, the club would have no choice but to get rid.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:17 pm

Serious question here. If a convicted sex offender was "blackballed" out of football by one or more clubs, or players or the FA or the Premier or Football League, would it be reasonable for the player concerned to go to court claiming unreasonable restraint of trade and claim millions in damages?

In Law it, would and he could. We might all think otherwise (or not) but our opinions wouldn't count.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm

I would not want to play alongside a convicted rapist. I understand the position from a legal perspective but from a team spirit point of view, having Ched Evans in the dressing room can onlybe divisive.

The answer to this quandry is not mine to find.........thankfully
    Hectors House

First ever game : Burnley i think
    Number of posts : 1505
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by Hectors House on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:32 pm

MadAmster wrote:Serious question here. If a convicted sex offender was "blackballed" out of football by one or more clubs, or players or the FA or the Premier or Football League, would it be reasonable for the player concerned to go to court claiming unreasonable restraint of trade and claim millions in damages?

In Law it, would and he could. We might all think otherwise (or not) but our opinions wouldn't count.

What if you had a 15/16 year old breaking into the first team, would a sex offender be allowed to play with a minor in the side??
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:36 pm

As long as he had a light on his helmet. Embarassed 
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15712
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm

MA is probably right about the legal position.

I can give an example that refusing to work with a criminal may have no effect.

A very senior manager was caught stealing cash from our organization and it was clear
    that he'd been doing it for some time. At no time did he show any remorse or shame.

Unfortunately another employee, a lass with mental health problems, had been caught stealing
    a few weeks earlier, had been prosecuted and the tabloids had a field day with the story.

The organization, not wanting any more bad publicity, decided not to prosecute, instead
    transferring the senior manager to a lowly post in a different location but on full salary.

His new colleagues were incensed at the double standards. They refused to have anything
    to do with the manager and told the boss as much. The boss ignored their views. The senior
    manager was safe and he was really arrogant about what he'd done and getting away with it,
    sneering at his colleagues views.

Last edited by RRC on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Li 150 on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm

:roflmao: 

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm

MadAmster wrote:Serious question here. If a convicted sex offender was "blackballed" out of football by one or more clubs, or players or the FA or the Premier or Football League, would it be reasonable for the player concerned to go to court claiming unreasonable restraint of trade and claim millions in damages?

Odd that, as I am extremely surprised that they are even able to legally consider allowing him back, considering there is usually a youth academy, and he would, I imagine, be on the register. There is legislation to prevent convicted sex offenders from working in schools and other similar organisations. Given that an academy is a place of education, how can he be allowed to step foot in one whilst on the payroll?

I can only use Moore farm as an example, as many of you will know through your own dealings with the place, that it is definitely set up as a place of part time education, with class rooms, coaching courses and children coming and going. How on earth would it be legal for someone on the sex offenders register to be employed within those facilities?
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14507

Post by chicken on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:42 pm

A footballer who is a convicted sex offender surely would not be able to claim millions in damages. His job dictates that he is around children or minors both within the club and the fanbase, that is part of his job. As he would be unable to fulfill that part of his job then surely he cannot sue.
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14507

Post by chicken on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

It would be rather hypocritical of Nigel if he agreed to this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2829831/Convicted-rapist-Ched-Evans-training-Sheffield-United-week-just-month-release-prison.html
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5205
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 7:05 am

chicken wrote:It would be rather hypocritical of Nigel if he agreed to this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2829831/Convicted-rapist-Ched-Evans-training-Sheffield-United-week-just-month-release-prison.html

Whilst my gut tends to agree with you on this Chicken, in all probability, the only option he may have to stand by his principles is to resign.

If the club offer him a contract, it would not surprise me one iota if he did.
    Hectors House

Post by Hectors House on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

Could you imagine the crowds reaction to Evans if he set foot on a football pitch. I would actually give my season ticket up if we signed a convicted rapist, especially one who doesn't see what he did was wrong.

Actually thinking about Evans, what i find most amazing is that he can't, or won't, see that he actually raped the girl.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 8:43 am

Having read a lot more of the case files since this thread was first started I have to say, his conviction is far far far away from clean cut.

I met cara when we were 18. So I wasnt one to go out on a Saturday night, get drunk, and 'pull' a lass. But plenty of my friends were. Each time one of them did this, they were apparently raping the girl!!! That's the way the law works, if she's under the influence, she cannot consent. So how many of your friends and family are rapists? How many of YOU are rapists?
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 8:53 am

Difficult one for the layman to decide regarding Evans, I feel a bit sorry for Nigel Clough getting dragged into it.

In simple terms it would be better for Evans to get out of the spotlight and go and do something else, however footballers who have been given longer sentences than Evans have come back and been given contracts in the game, which as we all know are huge compared to most peoples earnings. No Club has to give him a contract but in football money is king and Evans if he hadn't been convicted would have been sold by Sheff Utd for several million.

I don't really subscribe to this been around kids in the academy and Evans been a danger, if he was a danger he would still be in prison. The reality is for the next 2 and a half years he is still serving the rest of his sentence under license under strict supervision, one false move and he will be back inside.

On balance I think he should be allowed the chance to make his living again but he will be in for a rough ride.
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:01 am

AlvoRAM wrote:Having read a lot more of the case files since this thread was first started I have to say, his conviction is far far far away from clean cut.

I met cara when we were 18. So I wasnt one to go out on a Saturday night, get drunk, and 'pull' a lass. But plenty of my friends were. Each time one of them did this, they were apparently raping the girl!!! That's the way the law works, if she's under the influence, she cannot consent. So how many of your friends and family are rapists? How many of YOU are rapists?

Evans and his family have mounted a concerted campaign to get him off the conviction, with plenty of money behind them.

Without a Legal background there does seem to be an area of grey how drunk this girl was, however you have to respect the judge and jury's decision, who heard the whole case and the right to appeal was thrown out by the sounds of it swiftly.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:09 am

Angus wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:Having read a lot more of the case files since this thread was first started I have to say, his conviction is far far far away from clean cut.

Evans and his family have mounted a concerted campaign to get him off the conviction, with plenty of money behind them.

Without a Legal background there does seem to be an area of grey how drunk this girl was, however you have to respect the judge and jury's decision, who heard the whole case and the right to appeal was thrown out by the sounds of it swiftly.

My point is that all this backwards and forwards over how drunk she was is irrelevant. Officially, in the eyes of law, it is my understanding that if she is under the influence, she cannot consent... full stop. There's no drink drive like 'legal limit.' How could there be? Without an actual breathalyser involved, a person's level of intoxication is a matter of opinion. So in the eyes of the law, she cannot consent if she's under the influence.
    Hectors House

Post by Hectors House on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:18 am

Well i for one am absolutely no rapist i've never pulled a drunk lass..Thank you very much.

Plus i think when you get a couple of mates to video your act from outside the window something is definately not right.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:18 am

The plot thickens. Now 3 SUFC sponsors have said they will end their sponsorship if Evans gets a contract. Now that may well hold more sway than a petition of however many thousand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 10:23 am