COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Ched Evans

    Share
    avatar
    Angus

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17
    Points : 2258

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Angus on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 9:13 am

    The court of Public Opinion on Ched Evans seems to be moving out of control, look at the front page of the Mirror today, don't remember the same furore when Sheff Utd employed Marlon King last year, who is the proud holder of 18 convictions. Lee Hughes has earned contract after contract since his release from prison without this outrage.

    Funny place, South Yorkshire. A sex offender, tried, convicted, punished. They seem to want to punish twice. Sex offenders, unprosecuted, unconvicted, unpunished. They couldn't be arsed to even turn up and vote to ensure they are punished.

    And some of the people so keen to jump on the bandwagon like Nick Clegg were notable by their silence over recent revelations in Rotherham.

    My guess is the social justice warriors who would get worked up about Ched Evans would view the Rotherham girls as much less deserving of sympathy.

    Hypocrisy of the highest order, Evans will be hired on his ability to get people through the turnstiles, stopping people earning a living after release from prison is the opposite to the intentions of the criminal justice programme in the UK.
    avatar
    Mucker1884

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Points : 11259
    Age : 54
    Location : Derby

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Mucker1884 on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 9:32 am

    avatar
    Sydney Smooth

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2010-04-11
    Points : 1361
    Age : 81
    Location : Derby

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Sydney Smooth on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 12:33 pm

    Mucker1884 wrote:Good on yer, gel.  

    Unfortunately Jessica has been the target of internet trolls since her announcement, one despicable twat even suggested that he hoped that she would be raped by Ched Evans.

    Obviously these trolls didn't bother to join the queue when brain cells and decency were being handed out.


    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:38 pm

    thatguyfromderby wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    Hectors House wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:Having read a lot more of the case files since this thread was first started I have to say, his conviction is far far far away from clean cut.

    I met cara when we were 18. So I wasnt one to go out on a Saturday night, get drunk, and 'pull' a lass. But plenty of my friends were. Each time one of them did this, they were apparently raping the girl!!! That's the way the law works, if she's under the influence, she cannot consent. So how many of your friends and family are rapists? How many of YOU are rapists?

    Well i for one am absolutely no rapist i've never pulled a drunk lass..Thank you very much.

    Plus i think when you get a couple of mates to video your act from outside the window something is definately not right.

    Maybe not Hector. But I am damn sure you've slept with someone who has had a drink. Now if they were to bring charges, it would be up to a court to decide how drunk she was, months if not years after the fact. Which is impossible. So the law might as well say it's illegal to drink and bonk full stop!!!

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Ched, I don't know enough about the law or this case. But I am saying from what I've read (in independent sources) it is not clear cut. And this element of the law needs more clarity.

    The big issue here Alvo, is that she was drunk. Her friend pulled her. She consented to that (hence why he wasn't also sentenced). Evans supposedly later walked in on them during sex and joined in (which she did not consent to).

    Whilst lots of people have sex when drunk, there's still a pretty sizeable difference between meeting a person on a night out, chatting for a couple of hours and having sex whilst drunk as opposed to getting involved with an ongoing sex act with a person that is drunk that you've had little prior contact with.

    purpleram wrote:
    thatguyfromderby wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    Hectors House wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:Having read a lot more of the case files since this thread was first started I have to say, his conviction is far far far away from clean cut.

    I met cara when we were 18. So I wasnt one to go out on a Saturday night, get drunk, and 'pull' a lass. But plenty of my friends were. Each time one of them did this, they were apparently raping the girl!!! That's the way the law works, if she's under the influence, she cannot consent. So how many of your friends and family are rapists? How many of YOU are rapists?

    Well i for one am absolutely no rapist i've never pulled a drunk lass..Thank you very much.

    Plus i think when you get a couple of mates to video your act from outside the window something is definately not right.

    Maybe not Hector. But I am damn sure you've slept with someone who has had a drink. Now if they were to bring charges, it would be up to a court to decide how drunk she was, months if not years after the fact. Which is impossible. So the law might as well say it's illegal to drink and bonk full stop!!!

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Ched, I don't know enough about the law or this case. But I am saying from what I've read (in independent sources) it is not clear cut. And this element of the law needs more clarity.

    The big issue here Alvo, is that she was drunk. Her friend pulled her. She consented to that (hence why he wasn't also sentenced). Evans supposedly later walked in on them during sex and joined in (which she did not consent to).

    Whilst lots of people have sex when drunk, there's still a pretty sizeable difference between meeting a person on a night out, chatting for a couple of hours and having sex whilst drunk as opposed to getting involved with an ongoing sex act with a person that is drunk that you've had little prior contact with.

    A lot of very drunk young men have sex with a lot of very drunk women every weekend in every city in the country.
    Many of these meet up very drunk and at the end of the night.

    This is different from a sober predator taking advantage of a drunk person.

    That said, people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Alcohol changes peoples personality, that's why they take it. Everyone who likes a drink to excess has woken up and thought WTF did I do last night.

    Evans has paid for his inappropriate behaviour and should be allowed to earn his living again.
    There are degrees of rape whatever some people say, and that's a consequence of adding the ambiguity of sobriety into it.

    Hectors House wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    Hectors House wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:Having read a lot more of the case files since this thread was first started I have to say, his conviction is far far far away from clean cut.

    I met cara when we were 18. So I wasnt one to go out on a Saturday night, get drunk, and 'pull' a lass. But plenty of my friends were. Each time one of them did this, they were apparently raping the girl!!! That's the way the law works, if she's under the influence, she cannot consent. So how many of your friends and family are rapists? How many of YOU are rapists?

    Well i for one am absolutely no rapist i've never pulled a drunk lass..Thank you very much.

    Plus i think when you get a couple of mates to video your act from outside the window something is definately not right.


    Maybe not Hector. But I am damn sure you've slept with someone who has had a drink. Now if they were to bring charges, it would be up to a court to decide how drunk she was, months if not years after the fact. Which is impossible. So the law might as well say it's illegal to drink and bonk full stop!!!

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Ched, I don't know enough about the law or this case. But I am saying from what I've read (in independent sources) it is not clear cut. And this element of the law needs more clarity.

    Yes i have slept with my misses when weve had a drink......however i have NEVER gone out to try and pull a drunk woman because i know she wont say no. Sleeping with your drunk partner is a million miles away from what he did.
    Those guys planned everything, and still can't see any wrong doing

    I think many people have missed my point here. The law states that if she is intoxicated, she is unable to make clear choices, and therefore cannot consent. It doesn't matter if she's your missus, if you're drunk, sober or whatever. If she's drunk, and you have sex with her, in the eyes of the law, that is rape, and you're a rapist... me too!

    My issue with this is that it relies heavily on an assessment of how drunk she was. Which is impossible. In this case alone there are several different professional opinions as to her state, and subsequent ability to consent. So the judgement as to how drunk she was is made months later, by people who were not there, and usually based on something most people on this forum hate with a passion, averages and statistics!

    Like I said, my issue is with the lack of clarity in this part of the law, and how that may have affect Ched.

    This page is interesting. http://www.chedevans.com/key-and-undisputed-facts
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5369
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5936
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

    But I think what annoys many people (I would say most people) is that, as far as I'm aware, Ched has NOT come out and said "I detest rape in the strongest possible terms."

    This is not inconsistent with still genuinely believing that he did not commit rape.

    By implication, what he did (whether you think it is rape or not) is okay.

    I would say that most people would believe that his actions are not acceptable.
    avatar
    cmccram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Derby 0 Sunderland 1 about 96
    Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2011-03-06
    Points : 448
    Age : 30
    Location : Belper

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by cmccram on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 7:24 pm

    Sydney Smooth wrote:
    Mucker1884 wrote:Good on yer, gel.  

    Unfortunately Jessica has been the target of internet trolls since her announcement, one despicable twat even suggested that he hoped that she would be raped by Ched Evans.

    Obviously these trolls didn't bother to join the queue when brain cells and decency were being handed out.


    If so, and I have no doubt you are right in what you say that is absoluteley appalling! Whoever has said that to her is no better than Ched Evans. For me regardless of if his conviction was correct or not and what a lot of people don't seem to have taken into consideration is that he took complete advantage of the state this poor girl was in. She may have been to drunk to consent no one really knows that for sure, but to be put in that position in her drunken state, that was the point where Ched and indeed his mate seriously crossed the line and in my view why he has be convicted and why he is no kind of role model to play football in such a public place and manner.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15880
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19683

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by RRC on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

    Is it worth restating the facts?

    1. Evans was convicted by a jury that assessed all the evidence and how believable the witnesses were.

    2. Evans has not served his sentence - he is out of jail on licence and can be recalled.

    3. Evans' appeal against his conviction was rejected by the Court of Appeal two years ago.

    4. Three High Court judges upheld the decision of the Court of Appeal.

    5. Unless new evidence comes to light, that's the end of the appeal process.

    6. His media campaign, or anything else, stands no chance of success without new evidence.




    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 11:02 pm

    cmccram wrote:
    Sydney Smooth wrote:
    Mucker1884 wrote:Good on yer, gel.  

    Unfortunately Jessica has been the target of internet trolls since her announcement, one despicable twat even suggested that he hoped that she would be raped by Ched Evans.

    Obviously these trolls didn't bother to join the queue when brain cells and decency were being handed out.


    If so, and I have no doubt you are right in what you say that is absoluteley appalling! Whoever has said that to her is no better than Ched Evans. For me regardless of if his conviction was correct or not and what a lot of people don't seem to have taken into consideration is that he took complete advantage of the state this poor girl was in. She may have been to drunk to consent no one really knows that for sure, but to be put in that position in her drunken state, that was the point where Ched and indeed his mate seriously crossed the line and in my view why he has be convicted and why he is no kind of role model to play football in such a public place and manner.

    You're right not to doubt him... seems to have been reported in a few places.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2834877/Sick-trolls-threaten-rape-Jessica-Ennis-Hill-athlete-told-Sheffield-United-stand-signs-convicted-rapist-Ched-Evans.html

    Sick bastards!!!

    Funny thing is though, the mail have tried to hide the idiots twitter handle. Except in the second pic, where someone has retweeted him, they've left his handle in. I should imagine @RickieLambert07 got plenty of stick before he deleted his account. ;)


    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14564
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 16001

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by chicken on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 12:22 am

    @NeilMackay: You'll be glad to know it's being reported that rapist Ched Evans will NOT be offered a Sheffield United contract thanks to public outcry

    Not because Nigel said no then. Or the fact that Evans is a convicted rapist!

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14564
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 16001

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by chicken on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 12:34 am

    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4525
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6060
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by SawleyRam on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 1:48 am

    I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11225
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13616
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:42 am

    But that is the reason we have trial by jury. They hear ALL of the facts hear from ALL of the people involved, take into account ALL of the supplementary evidence and make a judgement based on everything. This isn't a case of two young people going out, getting p*ssed and ending the night in bed together with one person regretting it in the morning, a case like that would almost never get to the point of somebody being charged, let alone go to court.

    I have said on here many times that everybody in a rape case should remain anonymous until any court case is done, but I believe completely, in the justice system as the fairest pissible way of being tried.

    Too many people seem to believe that this isa simple case of the law believing the woman rather than Ched Evans which absolutely staggers me. I'm sure he believes that he did nothing wrong but that really is no guide at all

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14564
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 16001

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by chicken on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:50 am

    I agree Loughie. People seem to forget that a jury has heard ALL the EVIDENCE not heresay and found Evans guilty of rape, which is why he's a convicted rapist and why he went to prison.

    Would everybody be happy if he came to Derby? Would you like a rapist playing for your team?
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11225
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13616
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 9:07 am

    No

    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

    Can I just point out that like (almost) every criminal case in the UK, the entire trial, and associated evidence are a matter of public record. And are available for all to read. Now as I've said before, I haven't made my mind up. But it seems to me that more people on the anti Ched side have only read what's available in newspapers, and some even seem to have no idea the whole trial is available to them, yet the people who back ched, and question his conviction are the ones sharing links to the actual case files... Just something I've noticed.

    Wink

    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15880
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19683

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by RRC on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 1:58 pm

    AlvoRAM wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.

    I'd love to know what kind of evidence you expect in a rape case, when the offence involves
    just two people and takes place in private.

    Would there ever be a conviction without your imaginary "smoking gun"?
    This is real life not courtroom drama on tv.

    BTW 'hearsay' is speech reported by a third party - cases wouldn't get to court if they relied on that.



    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4525
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6060
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by SawleyRam on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

    RRC wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.

    I'd love to know what kind of evidence you expect in a rape case, when the offence involves
    just two people and takes place in private.

    Would there ever be a conviction without your imaginary "smoking gun"?
    This is real life not courtroom drama on tv.

    BTW 'hearsay' is speech reported by a third party - cases wouldn't get to court if they relied on that.

    Like the night porter listening at the door?
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15880
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19683

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by RRC on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 2:26 pm

    SawleyRam wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.

    I'd love to know what kind of evidence you expect in a rape case, when the offence involves
    just two people and takes place in private.

    Would there ever be a conviction without your imaginary "smoking gun"?
    This is real life not courtroom drama on tv.

    BTW 'hearsay' is speech reported by a third party - cases wouldn't get to court if they relied on that.

    Like the night porter listening at the door?

    Yes, that could be 'hearsay'. But the case wouldn't have relied on it.

    As far as I can tell - and like you I haven't heard all the evidence - the jury didn't
    think that Evans' story fitted the facts that were known and didn't believe him.

    The Court of Appeal rejected Evans' appeal two years ago and the High Court upheld
    that decision, so his story has been heard three times and the guilty verdict stands.

    That's good enough for me and I don't understand why people keep questioning it.




    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

    RRC wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.

    I'd love to know what kind of evidence you expect in a rape case, when the offence involves
    just two people and takes place in private.

    Would there ever be a conviction without your imaginary "smoking gun"?
    This is real life not courtroom drama on tv.

    BTW 'hearsay' is speech reported by a third party - cases wouldn't get to court if they relied on that.

    So you are saying it is acceptable to convict someone of one of the worst crimes imaginable, and ruin their lives, without sufficient evidence? I'm sure you're not saying that, but that's how it reads.

    There is usually DNA evidence, or physical signs of struggle in rape cases RRC. As this was not a case of the girl being forced into anything, there was no such evidence.

    As Sawley says, what evidence there was, that was undeniable, seems to have been ignored, such as the night porter listening at the door because he knew the room was over occupied.

    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

    RRC wrote:The Court of Appeal rejected Evans' appeal two years ago and the High Court upheld
    that decision, so his story has been heard three times and the guilty verdict stands.

    It's my understanding his appeal was never fully heard RRC, A panel of 3 high court judges denied him 'leave to appeal' on the 6th November 2012 because they didn't feel there was sufficient enough 'new' evidence. The problem is, the old evidence was enough to call the conviction into question.

    Now I could be wrong, But I thought that was the stage before the actual appeal???
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15880
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19683

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by RRC on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

    AlvoRAM wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.

    I'd love to know what kind of evidence you expect in a rape case, when the offence involves
    just two people and takes place in private.

    Would there ever be a conviction without your imaginary "smoking gun"?
    This is real life not courtroom drama on tv.

    BTW 'hearsay' is speech reported by a third party - cases wouldn't get to court if they relied on that.

    So you are saying it is acceptable to convict someone of one of the worst crimes imaginable, and ruin their lives, without sufficient evidence? I'm sure you're not saying that, but that's how it reads.

    There is usually DNA evidence, or physical signs of struggle in rape cases RRC. As this was not a case of the girl being forced into anything, there was no such evidence.

    As Sawley says, what evidence there was, that was undeniable, seems to have been ignored, such as the night porter listening at the door because he knew the room was over occupied.

    There is rarely much physical evidence in rape cases, except for violent assaults which are not the commonest forms of rape. In many cases the victim was too frightened, too weak or too inebriated to struggle much. DNA proves that intercourse took place and who was involved, nothing else - it says nothing about the circumstances.

    Three courts, the Crown Court, the Appeal Court and the High Court, have heard the case - ALL the evidence - and the verdict stands. Many criminals continue to protest their innocence. If all the possible steps in our legal system have been tried without the verdict being overturned or a new trial ordered, I don't see how the verdict can be questioned unless new evidence comes to light. That's how our legal system works and has worked well for centuries. What is different about this case? I just don't see it.




    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14564
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 16001

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by chicken on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

    AlvoRAM wrote:Can I just point out that like (almost) every criminal case in the UK, the entire trial, and associated evidence are a matter of public record. And are available for all to read. Now as I've said before, I haven't made my mind up. But it seems to me that more people on the anti Ched side have only read what's available in newspapers, and some even seem to have no idea the whole trial is available to them, yet the people who back ched, and question his conviction are the ones sharing links to the actual case files... Just something I've noticed.

    Wink

    I haven't read any of evidence nor have I been privy to any of the court case. He was found guilty by a jury of my peers as is the way of the legal system in this country, like every other criminal in our prisons. I just don't get why People are continually questioning this case.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13870
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15516
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by MadAmster on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

    IMO, from what I have read of the facts, there is no doubt that there was full sexual contact between the two. Both parties agree on that. The only question is whether there was consent or not.

    Evans, obviously, believes that the girl "was up for it". That is why he thinks he is innocent.

    The girl claims to have, willingly, had sex with Evans' friend but sex with a 2nd party, Evans, was not, as far as she is concerned, part of the equation.

    To me the whole case rests on how drunk the girl was. If she was too far gone to think rationally about it, then Evans raped her. That is what the Law says on the matter.

    It gets more complicated when you look at the first sexual encounter, with Evans' friend. If she was incapable of consenting to sex with Evans, surely she was also incapable of consenting to sex with the friend as the two instances took place very close, timewise.

    As things are, Evans' best way forward is to make a public statement. That should cover the harassment the girl has had to endure from "supporters" of Evans, for a start. Further, he should state that, even if rape wasn't his intention, the Law states that, due to the girl's intoxicated state, it was rape. Statutory rape, as it is in the case of sex with anybody under 16. Accept the decision, admit to Statutory rape, be properly sorry for what happened to the girl in the act itself and the hounding she has had since. He should also, as the article suggests, ensure that the girl is no longer hounded by his supporters.

    Do that, and do it properly, and there is a chance the campaign to stop him following his chosen career might end.

    AlvoRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24
    Points : 6650
    Age : 34
    Location : Alvaston

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 3:07 pm

    RRC wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I have no opinion one way or another about Mr Evans or indeed Ms Complainant but what is the most obvious fact to come out of this is if one of the participants wake up the next morning regretting the actions of the night before serious charges can be appointed. For those poor people who do find themselves in a serious rape situation this type of ambiguity from the Ched Evans case is a total insult to the aggrieved. Rape is a heinous crime but the evidence should not be based on hearsay.

    Sawley... you hit it on the head. Exactly what is dangerous with this case, and the publicity surrounding it.

    I'd love to know what kind of evidence you expect in a rape case, when the offence involves
    just two people and takes place in private.

    Would there ever be a conviction without your imaginary "smoking gun"?
    This is real life not courtroom drama on tv.

    BTW 'hearsay' is speech reported by a third party - cases wouldn't get to court if they relied on that.

    So you are saying it is acceptable to convict someone of one of the worst crimes imaginable, and ruin their lives, without sufficient evidence? I'm sure you're not saying that, but that's how it reads.

    There is usually DNA evidence, or physical signs of struggle in rape cases RRC. As this was not a case of the girl being forced into anything, there was no such evidence.

    As Sawley says, what evidence there was, that was undeniable, seems to have been ignored, such as the night porter listening at the door because he knew the room was over occupied.

    There is rarely much physical evidence in rape cases, except for violent assaults which are not the commonest forms of rape. In many cases the victim was too frightened, too weak or too inebriated to struggle much. DNA proves that intercourse took place and who was involved, nothing else - it says nothing about the circumstances.

    Three courts, the Crown Court, the Appeal Court and the High Court, have heard the
    case - ALL the evidence - and the verdict stands. Many criminals continue to protest their innocence. If all the possible steps in our legal system have been tried without the verdict being overturned or a new trial ordered, I don't see how the verdict can be questioned unless new evidence comes to light. That's how our legal system works and has worked well for centuries. What is different about this case? I just don't see it.

    There wasn't even any DNA in this case RRC. He was charged and subsequently found guilty on the basis that he openly admitted intercourse with her whilst she was drunk. Even though no rape allegation had originally been made.

    Where have you heard that the case was taken before the high court? It's my understanding that it was not. His leave to appeal was heard at the Court of Appeal, Royal Courts of Justice (the same place that houses the high court) by a panel of 3 judges, where he was denied leave to appeal.

    And if his conviction was so strong, and confirmed by 3 different courts, his case would not be in the processes of being fast tracked through the Criminal Cases Review Commission, the watchdog responsible for investigating possible miscarriages of justice. There is still a very real chance that his conviction will be quashed within weeks/months.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ched Evans

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 6:30 pm