Changes

AlvoRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24

Changes

Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 17 Aug 2014, 6:51 pm

Master, since you're busy doing changes, that look pretty funky btw, new year new site and all... How about a like button, obviously there is the like text, but it doesnt stand out, and I for one forget to use it when I see a post I like, how about an actual button image there?

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Re: Changes

Post by chicken on Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm

Changes all thanks to RRC's hard work. Doesn't it look good?

Anybody with any more requests regarding the site, feel free to post your suggestions here.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:28 pm

chicken wrote:Changes all thanks to RRC's hard work. Doesn't it look good?  

Anybody with any more requests regarding the site,  feel free to post your suggestions here.

I apologise RRC I didn't realise you were busy under the hood... Just assumed it was Li tinkering.

It does look great.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

New button looks great RRC  Thumbs up

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:24 pm

AlvoRAM wrote:New button looks great RRC  Thumbs up

Which button?
    Charingworth Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Post by Charingworth Ram on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm

It all looks fantastic, I would like to see the banner wider though it looks a little lost  Dunno 

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:52 pm

Charingworth Ram wrote:It all looks fantastic, I would like to see the banner wider though it looks a little lost  Dunno 

Think it's done for those still using 800 x 600, the last time I checked that was still the standard resolution that websites should be created for, although that was a couple of years ago.

I could be wrong though, she may not have done it for that reason.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:59 pm

chicken wrote:
    AlvoRAM wrote:New button looks great RRC  Thumbs up

Which button?

Only seems to appear on your posts, and only in this thread. I guess somebody is tinkering. 

Scratch the first part, it's appearing on chazs post too, but only in this thread it seems.

It was not faded until I pressed it btw.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16148
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:15 pm

If I was writing the code and css myself, I would use the responsive method which resizes the
    page dimensions, graphics etc. to suit the equipment and browser employed by each user.

Unfortunately the Forumotion software and the third party skin that we use makes it difficult
    to do that without convoluted ramifications and tiresome knock on effects. We used to use
    our own custom stylesheet but frankly it was more trouble than it was worth.

I chose the narrow width of the banner to suit people usimg smaller laptops etc. after testing
    with an old Toshiba 13-inch laptop. It would be unfair to assume that everyone has the latest
    or the biggest kit and some people don't use browsers in full screen mode anyway.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:19 pm

RRC wrote:and some people don't use browsers in full screen mode.
     That must be increasingly true with windows 8, I often use the 2 windows in side by side mode and think it's great.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:23 pm

It's a shame it doesn't set the image as a background image within it's containing div (it doesn't I've checked) if it did you could make a wider image, but keep the important parts, i.e the name and slogan inside 800px, that way any extra length would disappear at the edges on smaller monitors, but would appear on larger ones. Many content management systems use this simple method to allow for dynamic headers of sorts.
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm

AlvoRAM wrote:It's a shame it doesn't set the image as a background image within it's containing div (it doesn't I've checked) if it did you could make a wider image, but keep the important parts, i.e the name and slogan inside 800px, that way any extra length would disappear at the edges on smaller monitors, but would appear on larger ones. Many content management systems use this simple method to allow for dynamic headers of sorts.

Thanks, Alvo, I did know that.

The software is designed mainly for people with no IT experience so they can run websites
    as easily and with as little effort as possible, without any need to think about the code etc.

A very sensible approach, I feel.

RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:51 pm

Re the LIKE button.

There isn't any such thing - never has been in our version of the software + skin.
    I changed the THANKS button to LIKE, because that does work in a very limited way.

It's long been a subject of discussion amongst those who run Forumotion sites.
    The LIKE, THANKS and other features work perfectly on some sites (allegedly),
    not at all on others, and partially to a very limited degree on others (like ours).

I think we've tried every combination of settings and permissions without success.
    Unless and until Forumotion sort out this issue (they've been asked more than once),
    we're stuck.

Sorry but that's it.

BTW the button is meant to change (to faded) to show you've already liked the post.

AlvoRAM

Post by AlvoRAM on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:59 pm

RRC wrote:Re the LIKE button.

There isn't any such thing - never has been in our version of the software + skin.
    I changed the THANKS button to LIKE, because that does work in a very limited way.

It's long been a subject of discussion amongst those who run Forumotion sites.
    The LIKE, THANKS and other features work perfectly on some sites (allegedly),
    not at all on others, and partially to a very limited degree on others (like ours).

I think we've tried every combination of settings and permissions without success.
    Unless and until Forumotion sort out this issue (they've been asked more than once),
    we're stuck.

Sorry but that's it.

BTW the button is meant to change (to faded) to show you've already liked the post.

No worries at all, thank you very much for trying again.

BTW by far my favourite addition is coloured quotes in the topic reply field. That should really help people not to mix up quotes.
    mace

Number of posts : 5865
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by mace on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 6:52 am

If I was writing the code and css myself, I would use the responsive method which resizes the
    page dimensions, graphics etc. to suit the equipment and browser employed by each user.

Unfortunately the Forumotion software and the third party skin that we use makes it difficult
    to do that without convoluted ramifications and tiresome knock on effects. We used to use

I chose the narrow width of the banner to suit people usimg smaller laptops etc. after testing
    with an old Toshiba 13-inch laptop. It would be unfair to assume that everyone has the latest
    or the biggest kit and some people don't use browsers in full screen mode anyway.

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:41 am

mace wrote:

LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:42 am