New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22920
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

The top six

Post by New England Ram on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:11 am

A few weeks shy of Christmas who amongst you would have picked the top six that we currently have in our division.
    I know a good few would have picked the Rams to be amongst the top six teams but how many of the others would you have chosen.
    And other than ourselves how many of the other five would you expect to be still hanging around at the end of the season ?

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13335
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: The top six

Post by MadAmster on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm

Apart from ourselves, just Boro back in August.

Come May I think us, Boro and Bournmouth will be top 6.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7330

Post by Bedlam on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:31 pm

I expect to see to see Ipswich making up the numbers.

Top Tip...
    PEOPLE IN lifts. If Bruce Willis gets in wearing a vest and no shoes, exit the lift at the earliest opportunity.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:50 pm

Derby, Ipswich and Blackburn are the only ones I'm not too surprised about - Brentford
    are the real surprise packet.

I'm amazed at the teams that have gone backwards in a big way since last season (notably
    Wigan, Brighton and Reading) and at the erratic showing of Norwich and Fulham.

The most consistent sides so far seem to be Derby, Boro and Ipswich, so they should
    have the best chance of making the playoffs.

One or two teams which have ability but not as much consistency (such as Brentford,
    Bournemouth, Watford, Cardiff, Forest, Charlton, Norwich and Wolves) also have a chance
    of the playoffs if they can string together longer runs of good results. Of those, I fancy
    Bournemouth and Cardiff.

The January transfer window has rarely made a big difference to the top six as they stood
    at mid-season and, with FFP, the effect may well be nil.

ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3904
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Expected Derby Boro and Ipswich to be there but the others are certainly surprising.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

Interesting to see that the early pace setters Charlton have still only been beaten three times along with Ipswich..
    Of course on the flip side nobody won more than us and BRENTFORD

Mostyn

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1884
    First ever game : v Norwich City. 26th December 1987.
    Number of posts : 2782
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Post by Mostyn on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

I fancied Ipswich last season to be up there, you can never write off a McCarthy team. I didn't fancy Watford though, but thought Boro and Bournemouth would be there or thereabouts.

The dynamics of Championship football have altered in recent years, now the 'footballing' teams have learnt how to beat the grafters, it used to be t'other way around.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

Going to be a interesting few weeks.
    But after today I'm convinced it's going to be one of those season's with four or five teams in with a chance with a few weeks to go.

thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4253
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 10:14 pm

Still hate Ipswich. Physical and aggressive.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2573

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 5:44 am

I thought Boro would be abouts the top 6 and Ipswich as well. They showed signs of it last season. Fulham are bi-polar in their play and I have no idea where the hell Brentford came from this season. I thought they would struggle to adapt, yea I was wrong so far on that one.
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:20 am

McCarthy has set Ipswich up like he does all his teams, physical and hard to beat. Norwich I was convinced would be competing for top two.
    Our issue is our failure to win more than three games on the trot without then losing a game. We need to win 6 or 7 on the bounce to give us some daylight between the teams below us. If we don't Boro or/and Ipswich will and we will be in a similar position as last year not quite able to catch second spot.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

McCarthy certainly knows this division...But funny enough out of everyone I still really fear Bournemouth as the team that might make a break for it...

Charingworth Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224

Post by Charingworth Ram on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 4:23 pm

This season will go down to the wire for two reasons 1) The league is poor 2) there are no outstanding side in the division who is capable of going on a run to pull clear.

The fact the league is poor is why we currently sit on top, we have played some breathtaking stuff this term but those spells have been few and far between.

We are a decent side capable of beating anyone and everyone but we are equally capable of dropping points to the same teams.

Mostyn

Post by Mostyn on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm

it's usually about now that the strongest team pulls away and by the end of January and into Mid-February have opened up a decent gap of 8-12 points on 3rd place.

I tend to agree with Chaz in general, but also think it's too early to write a team off from making a surge, hopefully it will be us.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4253

Post by thatguyfromderby on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:13 pm

It strikes me that we're still trying to figure our best team. Until then, we probably won't settle properly and go on the run we're all hoping for. It seems that our back 4 and GK (once Keogh returns) is set in stone, as is Martin up front and, currently Russell on the wing. But that leaves the middle of the park a little inconsistent. We need to pick our best 3 and stick with them, rotating only if absolutely necessary.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13335
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 8:39 am

What is the best MF though tgfd? There isn't one IMO. Not if you discount the injured Thorne. Of the players we currently have fit, Bryson is a shoe in. In many games Mascarell will be the central player. That leaves just one spot left for Hughes/Hendrick. Personally I'd go for Hughes but I would impress upon him that he has to play to the whistle and keep getting stuck in until the ref blows.

That wouldn't be my MF for every game though. In the SBC there are a few sides whose game is based on, to be kind to them, "physicality". In those games we need Eustace at CM rather than Mascarell. You might also consider Hendrick in for Hughes in those games. The opponents would be clubs such as Ipswich, DYS, Wigan, Millwall etc.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2287
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 10:18 am

Borough this Saturday and Norwich and Ipswich will define our stance and the shake up in the top six

Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 11:30 am

Ram78 wrote:Borough this Saturday and Norwich and Ipswich will define our stance and the shake up in the top six

The proverbial '6 pointers' that's for sure!
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 4:01 pm

Charingworth Ram wrote:This season will go down to the wire for two reasons 1) The league is poor 2) there are no outstanding side in the division who is capable of going on a run to pull clear.

The fact the league is poor is why we currently sit on top, we have played some breathtaking stuff this term but those spells have been few and far between.

We are a decent side capable of beating anyone and everyone but we are equally capable of dropping points to the same teams.

Chaz, apart from the fact that we are top, what makes you repeatedly state that this league is any weaker than previous years?
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 6:57 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:
    Charingworth Ram wrote:This season will go down to the wire for two reasons 1) The league is poor 2) there are no outstanding side in the division who is capable of going on a run to pull clear.

Chaz, apart from the fact that we are top, what makes you repeatedly state that this league is any weaker than previous years?

I think the league is stronger than it has been for a few years, I expect a bumpy ride with plenty of ups and downs. It could go right to the last game, very very tight at present and it could come down to keeping key players fit. If we lost Martin or Hughes for a long period top 2 would be very difficult, if those 2 stay fit we should do it.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 7:00 pm

My thoughts exactly Angus
    Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7330

Post by Bedlam on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:

He states it every year.

Top Tip...
    PEOPLE IN lifts. If Bruce Willis gets in wearing a vest and no shoes, exit the lift at the earliest opportunity.
    Charingworth Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224

Post by Charingworth Ram on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:59 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:

Its weaker for a few reasons in my opinion.

clubs are having to abide by FFP so its become more of a level playing field, in addition clubs like Bolton,Blackburn and others have had to sell the best players and financial restrictions mean those relegated dont necessarily go straight back up.

Plus many more clubs are playing young players because they cost less which means inexperience and therefore inconsistency.

Plus managers getting sacked more in FLC than any other division thus meaning many teams struggling to establish themselves.

Plus not too many top strikers in division so each season the same teams dont stand out.

Most of the above applies to DCFC too, we have young inexperience players who are inconsistent that is why we drop so many points and the fact that we are top when we still have not hit top form suggest the league is weak and not that we are top because we are an outstanding side.

Mostyn

Post by Mostyn on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 1:05 am

Charingworth Ram wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:

Its weaker for a few reasons in my opinion.

clubs are having to abide by FFP so its become more of a level playing field, in addition clubs like Bolton,Blackburn and others have had to sell the best players and financial restrictions mean those relegated dont necessarily go straight back up.

Plus many more clubs are playing young players because they cost less which means inexperience and therefore inconsistency.

Plus managers getting sacked more in FLC than any other division thus meaning many teams struggling to establish themselves.

Plus not too many top strikers in division so each season the same teams dont stand out.

Most of the above applies to DCFC too, we have young inexperience players who are inconsistent that is why we drop so many points and the fact that we are top when we still have not hit top form suggest the league is weak and not that we are top because we are an outstanding side.  

That to me sounds like the league is actually stronger collectively, just that the extremes are less, ie the best teams this year are not as good as previous.

You say players are being sold, but I think most have been sold within the same division and not so many have been picked off by the Premier League clubs. A few seasons ago, players like Hughes and Hendrick would be on the bench somewhere in the Prem.

I also think a lot could be said for players who have previously thrived at this level now struggling. Are the teams those players are facing now better? The likes of McCormack etc...
    mace

Number of posts : 5865
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by mace on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

would have been more intresting to have started this thread in Aug would doubt anyone would have tipped bouremouth hey ho now in dec and we can all give our expert opinions

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 8:02 am