First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Re: The top six

Post by Angus on Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:44 pm

chicken wrote:
    Angus wrote:
    chicken wrote:We're nicely placed.

Are we? Everton linked to Mac and have lost again today. Doesn't surprise me it was bound to happen at some point, Martinez has to be one of the biggest bluffers in football as well.

So what?

If you think we're in a poor position that's up to you, although I would suggest a visit to the head doctors quickly.  Also if you think we're a poor team I would suggest two visits to the doctors.

You seem to want things to go badly which is quite strange for someone claiming to be a fan.

Complete piffle at no point did I say we are in a poor position or a poor team, with Mac we have a great chance of top 2 and if he sees a long term future here a massive opportunity of maximising the potential of this club as a solid, middling but self-sufficient PL club. Without him I don't see that potential anywhere near as likely to be realised.

There was always the time going to come that Mac and some PL jobs were going to get linked in the Public domain, how he sees his future probably only he will know but the threat is there and panic season on the managerial merry go round is upon us. Warnock is the first but won't be the last PL manager to lose his job.

I was at Brum in the snow and Leeds, my claims as a fan are not in question. What I don't believe is top 2 is certain or we will walk the league. Bournemouth are a good team, so are Boro, Ipswich as well, realism is sensible and Mac is the total key to us moving forward, if Everton or any big city club did approach him it would be very hard to turn down, after all he has never managed a big city club. Sooner or later it will happen he is a man highly rated in the game.
    purpleram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:58 pm

Piffle? One step from poppy cock and we all know where that shite came from.
    purpleram

Post by purpleram on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 12:06 am

Wins on the trot.
    Wolves aren't far behind us even after their nightmare run, we need tio win 5 or 6 on the trot to cement top two.
    Even that might only just keep our beaks in front.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 1:55 am

purpleram wrote:Wins on the trot.
    Wolves aren't far behind us even after their nightmare run, we need tio win 5 or 6 on the trot to cement top two.
    Even that might only just keep our beaks in front.

Cant see us doing that though..much the same as I can't see Bournemouth losing one right now..They play Norwich the day we play Ipswich...might be the best chance of them losing one.

Charingworth Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Post by Charingworth Ram on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 9:56 am

We will all have to wait and see ! some of us think we are nicely placed and not worried some think we have an ordinary squad which blows hot and cold ! Too hard to call.

Personally i dont see us top two but we will be in play offs and that would be a failure.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15877
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

Charingworth Ram wrote:We will all have to wait and see ! some of us think we are nicely placed and not worried some think we have an ordinary squad which blows hot and cold ! Too hard to call.

Personally i dont see us top two but we will be in play offs and that would be a failure.

We need to be a lot more consistent and grind out results when things don't go smoothly.

We certainly won't get automatic promotion if we go on dropping points against teams like
    Wigan (22nd), Millwall (21st) and Leeds (20th). We're already relying on Ipswich and/or
    Bournemouth dropping more points than we do.

The away game against Ipswich on 10th Jan is looking like a 6-pointer.

Hectors House

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Burnley i think
    Number of posts : 1505
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by Hectors House on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:32 am

If we win tomorrow we will only be 3 points behind a team that have taken 35 of the last 42 points. The big test for Bournemouth, and to a slightly lesser extent Ipswich, will be how do they react when their perspective runs come to an end. Bournemouth are in a run that is probably quite unusual for them.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm

Hectors House wrote:If we win tomorrow we will only be 3 points behind a team that have taken 35 of the last 42 points. The big test for Bournemouth, and to a slightly lesser extent Ipswich, will be how do they react when their perspective runs come to an end. Bournemouth are in a run that is probably quite unusual for them.

Spot on. All it takes for a complete loss of confidence is a single loss. Like when we destroyed Forests winning run a few years back or when we went through a blip last winter where we couldn't score for toffee. If the goals dry up.. the rot sets in. I'd like to think we're a bit more robust and bounce back - we have no idea how Boro, Ipswich or Bournemouth will react to 1 or 2 bad results.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15877
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 6:13 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:
    Hectors House wrote:If we win tomorrow we will only be 3 points behind a team that have taken 35 of the last 42 points. The big test for Bournemouth, and to a slightly lesser extent Ipswich, will be how do they react when their perspective runs come to an end. Bournemouth are in a run that is probably quite unusual for them.

Spot on. All it takes for a complete loss of confidence is a single loss. Like when we destroyed Forests winning run a few years back or when we went through a blip last winter where we couldn't score for toffee. If the goals dry up.. the rot sets in. I'd like to think we're a bit more robust and bounce back - we have no idea how Boro, Ipswich or Bournemouth will react to 1 or 2 bad results.

I really hope you're right but this season's results show that we're the side that can't put
    a run of wins together. So far we've managed one run of three consecutive wins.

Since we beat Bournemouth at the iPro on 30th September, they've been unbeaten.
    In the same period, Ipswich and Boro have each lost one game, and we've lost four.
    Last season we lost five games from 1st January. I doubt we can afford to do that again.

Even if our rivals slip up, we still need to be a lot more consistent than we've been so far.

purpleram

Post by purpleram on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

RRC wrote:
    thatguyfromderby wrote:

I really hope you're right but this season's results show that we're the side that can't put
    a run of wins together. So far we've managed one run of three consecutive wins.

Since we beat Bournemouth at the iPro on 30th September, they've been unbeaten.
    In the same period, Ipswich and Boro have each lost one game, and we've lost four.
    Last season we lost five games from 1st January. I doubt we can afford to do that again.

Even if our rivals slip up, we still need to be a lot more consistent than we've been so far.

I'm reasonably sure/hopeful that Boro, Ipswich, Bournmouth will hit a dodgy patch, but RRC is right we need a string of 7 or 8 wins, you have to, or it's play offs.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4296
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm

All this statto stuff is so ridiculous when applied to the football world.

There are so many unknowns and intangibles, like the Thorne injury, that can be major turning points.

Most of which wont be known until after the event.

Thorne may come back and be the talisman to take us top, or the next Ferre Bodde(sp).

It is this which keeps us all coming back even when the going is hard, because that next player/manager/whatever could just be the key.

I am happy for now that we are in with a good chance of auto's, with a fall back of the play offs, a position we could only wish for 2 seasons back.

At least the season isnt finished already like the reddogs Wink

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

You would like to think Bournemouth have a small squad and that it may get found out over 46 games.
    But they have quality and it seems much like Burnley last season they are having the luck with injuries.
    And looking below they certainly spread the goals out amongst each other.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30566310

thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:04 pm

But what are the odds of Bournemouth having no injuries? Small squads can be massively disrupted with a single injury. I know there's a lot of ifs and buts on both side of this fence.. but the fact we can finish tonight 2nd, even without a solid run of wins is impressive. That's why I question whether Bournemouth, Boro and Ipswich will have the same bounce-back ability. Because they're all on a decent run right now.. who knows what a string of 1 or 2 losses or games without scoring will do. I'd like to think we're the Man City of this league - we regularly faulted but keep pace with our greater squad depth and overall quality ready to take hold as the season draws and teams tire out.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

We kept saying that Burnley would fall short due to their lack of a squad but it never happened and they relied on two players to score their goals....Bournemouth get em from everywhere.
    Hope your right and I'm very wrong.....but this Bournemouth run started last season only just missing the playoffs...they have been very consistent.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 4:57 am

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14564
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 10:25 am

@OwenBradley: Steve McClaren also told me that the backing is there for him to keep hold of & improve his squad. Could be an interesting month. #dcfcfans
    Charingworth Ram

Post by Charingworth Ram on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 11:21 am

chicken wrote:@OwenBradley: Steve McClaren also told me that the backing is there for him to keep hold of & improve his squad. Could be an interesting month. #dcfcfans

Its always in the wording with DCFC " he has the backing" is the same as " we signed a proven goalscorer in Nathan Tyson" to me Bang head

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:50 pm

Charingworth Ram wrote:
    chicken wrote:@OwenBradley: Steve McClaren also told me that the backing is there for him to keep hold of & improve his squad. Could be an interesting month. #dcfcfans

Its always in the wording with DCFC " he has the backing" is the same as " we signed a proven goalscorer in Nathan Tyson" to me Bang head
    Well it doesn't to me. I think they will back him .
    Boris

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Boris on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

chicken wrote:
    Charingworth Ram wrote:

Agree Chicken, I think we will see 3 or 4 decent signings made this window.
    Charingworth Ram

Post by Charingworth Ram on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

Boris wrote:
    chicken wrote:
    Charingworth Ram wrote:

Hopefully your right , a good start in Bent IMHO COYR

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 4:46 pm

Charingworth Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    chicken wrote:
    Charingworth Ram wrote:

Hopefully your right , a good start in Bent IMHO COYR

Are you ok? Do you need an Ambulance or a Nurse?

Was that a positive comment you made??

LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll Wink
    purpleram

Post by purpleram on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 5:17 pm

Chaz has made a new year resolution to only see the positives, can't see it lasting TBH Fingers crossed Drink
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:19 pm

Figured on the back of their performance against us....Norwich playing Bournemouth this weekend was our best hope of somebody halting their run....not sure that will happen now though.
    Unless temporary manager syndrome really kicks in.

thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 05 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm

I think the odds of 2 teams (Burnley and now Bournemouth) with small squads going the entire season in such form with no injuries/suspensions is unlikely. I still think the most telling thing will be how they adapt mentally to losing. It will happen eventually, and they're not used to it. Perhaps the goals will dry up. It might turn into a slump. I think this run has come too early for them and I'm hopefully we'll see a decline in their form over the next 2-3 months.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5369
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:02 pm

The problem is, TGFD, that Bournemouth still looked competitive against Liverpool with six reserves playing, and I understand that they didn't play their first choice XI on Saturday but still managed to stick five past a team in the same league.

They have an excellent manager, a system which the entire squad believes in, two centre halves who can PLAY (i.e: have a good first touch, can bring the ball out of defence with comfort, and easily find a colleague with a pass on a regular basis, as well as defend), and more than enough replacements.

They are far more well equipped than the unbelieveably lucky Burnley were.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 6:12 pm