COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Referees

    Share

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14562
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 15999

    Referees

    Post by chicken on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

    There's been a lot of talk about questionable referees and their very questionable decisions both in the Premier League and Championship lately.

    My friend is a scout and he often gets to visit different grounds and their hospitality. He has been to a lot of Premier League stadiums and been in their executive boxes. On many occasions the referees have portrayed themselves as some kind of superstars, surrounding themselves with "dolly birds" as he put it!! He also said they are very arrogant and very often after the match see themselves as important or more important than the players.

    Maybe this is the problem? Dunno Dunno
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23100
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27716
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Referees

    Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

    Like I always said take TV out of the game and half this crap goes away.
    For me excessive media coverage has created a era of football where many players ex players owners even ball boys are clambering to get themselves some spotlight time.
    Every prat is made into some kind of celebrity many time just so the media can fill in the gaps between football games.
    Take the cameras out the grounds and cover two games from each division for Match of The Day.
    Kick out the hangers on and the media hogs.....some hope..oh well.
    Back to reading about what Chelsea's third team left backs brother had for breakfast.



    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6256
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6781
    Age : 49
    Location : Derby

    Re: Referees

    Post by CornwallRam on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 12:33 pm

    In nearly every case I believe that when refs get things wrong they have made an honest mistake. It's hard to spot everything when you only get to watch it once at full speed. I think refs generally get too much stick. However, the authorities need to be on their guard to weed out and punish those refs who make 'errors' for specific reasons - the most obvious being bribery. I don't wish to commit libel, so I won't say when it was - but only once have I ever been suspicious that a referee was making 'dishonest' mistakes.
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3691
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3927
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Referees

    Post by bramhallram on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

    chicken wrote:There's been a lot of talk about questionable referees and their very questionable decisions both in the Premier League and Championship lately.

    My friend is a scout and he often gets to visit different grounds and their hospitality.  He has been to a lot of Premier League stadiums and been in their executive boxes.  On many occasions the referees have portrayed themselves as some kind of superstars, surrounding themselves with "dolly birds" as he put it!!  He also said they are very arrogant and very often after the match see themselves as important or more important than the players.

    Maybe this is the problem?  Dunno Dunno

    It certainly doesn't help, Chicken. I've believed for years that referees should be made to talk to the cameras after a game, just like managers and players do, especially if there is a controversial incident to explain. Stick him in front of a video of his penalty decision yesterday and let him try to explain it.

    Instead we get situations like we had with that clown Attwater in the Forest match a few years ago, where he disallowed two perfectly good headed goals near the end of the game. Months later he finally admitted he'd got both decisions wrong. Bit late by then.

    .
    avatar
    Charingworth Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224
    Registration date : 2009-02-22
    Points : 9517
    Age : 48
    Location : Rams World

    Re: Referees

    Post by Charingworth Ram on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm

    Very difficult job being an official, almost thankless in fact so the fact they make the odd mistake is neither here or there to me !!

    Some folks get really upset in the crowd at refs but i feel they just do a job to the best of their ability and without the benefit of replays.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13740
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15364
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Referees

    Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

    This was the same ref who played 7 minutes extra in the last game of last season when Brum needed a draw to be certain of avoiding relegation against Bolton. They equalised well into added time.

    Pure coincidence of course..... Stirring the pot
    avatar
    Mucker1884

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10235
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Points : 11249
    Age : 54
    Location : Derby

    Re: Referees

    Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

    bramhallram wrote:

    It certainly doesn't help, Chicken. I've believed for years that referees should be made to talk to the cameras after a game, just like managers and players do, especially if there is a controversial incident to explain. Stick him in front of a video of his penalty decision yesterday and let him try to explain it.

    Instead we get situations like we had with that clown Attwater in the Forest match a few years ago, where he disallowed two perfectly good headed goals near the end of the game. Months later he finally admitted he'd got both decisions wrong. Bit late by then.

    .


    The problem is, it's a bit late 30 minutes after the final whistle, too.
    Even in front of live camera's, at 17:20, or whatever time it is nowadays, having been shown replay(s), he would have been praised for his honesty (having now admitted his mistake(s), get called a gentleman for holding up his hands, and be accused as being "only human"!!
    The result, however, would of course still stand... and we'd still want him hanged!!
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4453
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 5956
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Referees

    Post by SawleyRam on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 11:33 pm

    CornwallRam wrote:In nearly every case I believe that when refs get things wrong they have made an honest mistake. It's hard to spot everything when you only get to watch it once at full speed. I think refs generally get too much stick. However, the authorities need to be on their guard to weed out and punish those refs who make 'errors' for specific reasons - the most obvious being bribery. I don't wish to commit libel, so I won't say when it was - but only once have I ever been suspicious that a referee was making 'dishonest' mistakes.

    ALLEGEDLY a certain ref this Saturday just gone set himself up for criticism on the same thing Corny, not only that but both of his watches broke.

    N.B. To prevent any cases of libel I don't really know if both of his watches broke. Rage

    Sponsored content

    Re: Referees

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm