a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Ethnic coaches

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13870
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Ethnic coaches

Post by MadAmster on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm

I remember a while back there was a thread on here on the lack of ethnic coaches in the game, especially considering how many of an ethnic background play the game. I offered the thought that maybe not many non white Caucasians actually take the courses and get the badges. There was all sorts of discussion about affordability etc but in the end we couldn't formulate a reasoned argument because we didn't know the stats.

That has now changed. I saw this on the BBC site today. The figures cover 3 seasons fron August 2011 to May 2014.

Level 1 - 6% of those taking the course were BAME (Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic)
    Level 2 - 9%
    Level 3 (UEFA B) - 5.6%
    UEFA A - 12.9%
    UEFA pro licence - 6.5%

In the pro leagues in England 6.5% of managers are BAME. The same % as those who have taken the pro licence (required) in the past 3 years.

Make of that what you will. I think it backs up my thoughts back then, that the % of BAME in a job is commensurate with the % of BAME qualified to do the job.

The only problem appears to be getting more BAME to do the course. That should, in theory, solve the problem.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11225
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Ethnic coaches

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:00 pm

Don't be silly Ammy, John Barnes told us just the other day that he can't get a job because he's not white.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13870
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Don't be silly Ammy, John Barnes told us just the other day that he can't get a job because he's not white.

..... and that found its way onto the internet...... so it must be true LOL roll

Johnny Barnes BAME army LOL
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2100
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:57 pm

those stats highlight where the issue really is - too many people play the race card to easily - in most places if you are good enough you are good enough regardless - John Barnes can not get a managers job as he was a complete disaster in the roles he had

Ince probably does not get very far due to his personality clashes (based on what I have seen as both a player and a manager) - they are all in the public domain so any issues are known before you draw up a shortlist - a manager with a crap record and one with a history of blow-ups (and crap performance since his early days with Macclesfield and MK Dons) would not make a shortlist if I was a chairman acting in the best interests of my club - and that has f all to do with skin colour

The stats seem to indicate that qualifications are the pre-requisite not being a white ex player - and being a star ex player does not guarantee you are a top manager - look at the premiershite - Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes are the highest profile ex players (apologies to the johhny foriegners playing careers of which I cant be bothered to wiki) I can see
    Boris

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Boris on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 4:56 pm

Interesting how some shite White Managers seem to go from job to job and fail every time...and then get another job easily. Anyway, great to see that racism no longer exists in football..about time happy What's the latest on the Chelsea fans who befriended that chap on the Metro????
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 5:55 pm

Boris wrote:Interesting how some shite White Managers seem to go from job to job and fail every time...and then get another job easily. Anyway, great to see that racism no longer exists in football..about time  happy   What's the latest on the Chelsea fans who befriended that chap on the Metro????

Don't know the Chelsea European Metro got derailed shortly after.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5369
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 6:44 pm

Boris wrote:Interesting how some shite White Managers seem to go from job to job and fail every time...and then get another job easily. Anyway, great to see that racism no longer exists in football..about time  happy   What's the latest on the Chelsea fans who befriended that chap on the Metro????

Please can you leave bigger gaps so some others can read between the lines Bozza?

On a serious note, I agree with a form of the Rooney Rule at present, but I don't want to get into a situation that Paul Ince gets a job just because of the colour of his skin. You can be non white and still be a crap manager !
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:06 pm

My only problem with the Rooney rule would be does a coach get (or not get) an interview for a job just because of the colour of his skin and not to do with past records etc
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2591
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 7:34 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:My only problem with the Rooney rule would be does a coach get (or not get) an interview for a job just because of the colour of his skin and not to do with past records etc

I wouldn't have an issue with mandatory interviews for non-white coaches but just hiring them for the sake of just having non-white coaches would be wrong.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm