Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Depressing Night

Post by New England Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Depressing night watching Bournemouth set about Bolton to take their place in the Premier League.
    So fekin pi**ed off but drawn to watching it.

Draw solace in the fact that teams will go to Bournemouth and cynically dive, waste time and cheat - that's what they do in the premier league - and I won't shed a tear for Howe, the smug git. Can't forget that cynical Burnley display from  a few years ago.

Congratulations to Bournemouth though - a decent team playing decent football.
    celebration

Not good enough to beat us though were they.

Ambulance Bang head Flogging dead horse  

Bamford and Howe in a dead heat on my dislike list.

What on earth has Howe done wrong???

As LR said "smug "and also somewhat arrogant for my liking.
    But his team are sure fun to watch...unless they are getting promoted instead of us that is.

More like sour grapes you mean.....

No Boris...cant be arsed to look for it but posted a thread " the team to watch" Big admirer of their team and their style of play...not the man....respect what he's done though.

Angus

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 2:54 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Sorry Angus but you're talking sh*t again.

Thorne suffered an acl injury on the opposite leg to his previous one. It is an injury that can happen to any player at any time, regardless of past record with injuries. They aren't even injuries like muscle injuries that you can pick up when you are putting extra stress on your opposite leg when trying to come back from a previous injury.

As has been said already, with Thorne in the side for a large part of the season I have no doubt we would have been celebrating promotion several weeks ago. The money looked well spent to those of us that prefer not to use hindsight.

No it is you who is talking sh*t, all the stats show a player who has had one serious injury is much more likely to get another. These cruciate ligament injuries are as bad as it gets for a footballer the risk was always there of more serious injury due to extra strain on other body parts.

To put all your eggs in the one basket of a player who has played so few games due to injury complete lunacy and it has back-fired badly. The original fee in the media for the player was 1 million, worth the gamble maybe a bit more but to go to 3 million, which restricts totally the ability we had to bring other good players in, appalling bad negotiating and decision making from the fat controller. Not as if anybody else was queuing up to take him either, looking at the ability of the player I wonder why.

Will we ever get anyone with decent business acumen running DCFC, we always get turned over in the player market.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6256
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

To be fair to Angus he called two things right early on, consistently, and correctly - Bournemouth as strong contenders for automatic promotion and a high fee for Thorne. The accounts indicate a very high figure paid out in fees which is simply impossible to reconcile without the Thorne fee being c£3m.

But what I don't get is the criticism of Rush. McClaren has been given some real money to play with and our losses are still comfortably inside the FFP target and the level at which the owners are happy to fund. How can you criticise a CEO for that? OK, the money might have been used better elsewhere (although I'd have spent it on Thorne at the time), but surely that is down to the manager, not the CEO?

Many of the transfers and contracts look questionable at this point - Thorne (with 20/20 hindsight, expensive and looking injury prone, but still potentially the best player in the division) Shotton (expensive donkey). Albentosa (did no one notice that he can only play in Keogh's position?), Christie (although I still think he'll be OK long-term, been a disaster since Christmas), Whitbread (makes Steve Davies look rugged), Ward (why the extra years for a player with chocolate hamstrings?), Bryson (supposedly 5 years at £22k pw), Warnock (doesn't play the full back role as McClaren envisages it). Yet signing these players was done at the manager's behest. Nigel was starved of funds and consequently, it was only fair to cut him some slack in transfer dealings and understandable that the owners/Glick came in for some stick. McClaren has not had the same handicap. He's been given the resources so he deserves the criticism for wasting money. The owners/Rush though, IMO, deserve nothing but praise for generating the money for him to waste in the first place.

Last edited by CornwallRam on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23100

Post by New England Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 3:36 pm

Christie does not strike me as a very bright player so I have my doubts as to him turning out to be a good signing.
    On the other hand I think Albentosa will end up being a cult hero for the fans as we battle in the lower regions of the championship in the next couple of years... Afraid

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11190
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 3:45 pm

Angus, tell me another footballer who is, or has been susceptible to acl injuries.

The type of injuries usually sustained while recovering for other injuries are pulls and strains, not these type of injuries. It's like saying that you shouldn't buy a player who has suffered a broken leg because he is likely to suffer another, it's total b*llocks.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

I don't agree with those calling Eddie Howe smug. I always think he comes across as fair and pretty generous with his praise of the opposition, he is generally pretty humble and always deflects praise on to others. One thing I will say is that he has an unfortunate face that looks a bit smug, so maybe thats it.

One manager who I do think comes across as arrogant and dislikeable is that fella at Norwich. I don't like him at all.
    Boris

First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Boris on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Depressing night watching Bournemouth set about Bolton to take their place in the Premier League.

Draw solace in the fact that teams will go to Bournemouth and cynically dive, waste time and cheat - that's what they do in the premier league - and I won't shed a tear for Howe, the smug git. Can't forget that cynical Burnley display from  a few years ago.

celebration

But his team are sure fun to watch...unless they are getting promoted instead of us that is.

No Boris...cant be arsed to look for it but posted a thread  " the team to watch" Big admirer of their team and their style of play...not the man....respect what he's done though.

Can't understand why you see Howe as smug..echo Loughs comments above.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

Long term contracts (although not worth the paper they are written on) are going to be interesting.
    Most ( except Chaz who questioned it) were happy when we resigned Bryson...although there were a few murmurs regards the five years.
    Not sure anyone could have predicted such a big drop off for Bryson though as he had produced over two seasons not just one...
    And I still think we would be competing in the premier league now had he started at Wembley.
    As for Ward I would have given him nowt.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14562
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm

New England Ram wrote:Christie does not strike me as a very bright player so I have my doubts as to him turning out to be a good signing.
    On the other hand I think Albentosa will end up being a cult hero for the fans as we battle in the lower regions of the championship in the next couple of years... Afraid

LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll you are joking, aren't you?
    CornwallRam

Number of posts : 6256
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:49 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I don't agree with those calling Eddie Howe smug. I always think he comes across as fair and pretty generous with his praise of the opposition, he is generally pretty humble and always deflects praise on to others. One thing I will say is that he has an unfortunate face that looks a bit smug, so maybe thats it.

One manager who I do think comes across as arrogant and dislikeable is that fella at Norwich. I don't like him at all.

Delia?
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:53 pm

chicken wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Christie does not strike me as a very bright player so I have my doubts as to him turning out to be a good signing.

LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll  you are joking, aren't you?  

Honestly no...clearly you have seen more of him than me.
    But he came into a pressure situation with a lot on his plate..injury language issues etc.
    I dont think its inconceivable that he turns out to be a good player for us given a full pre season and a better support cast with him back there.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:55 pm

Maybe Keogh will move on in the summer, leaving him free to bed in in his own position.

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:01 pm

I hope you're right. Can't see it myself.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:08 pm

chicken wrote:I hope you're right. Can't see it myself.

To be honest its little more than a hunch.
    But I'm just looking at the things that have gone against him.
    And I remember to this day the first time I saw Rob Hindmarch (bless him) take an hour to turn and another ten minutes to go from 0-5mph.
    I never thought he would or could be a player...but he turned into a rock for us.
    Like I said more a hunch regards how I think things are going to play out with certain players.

Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:26 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Angus, tell me another footballer who is, or has been susceptible to acl injuries.

The type of injuries usually sustained while recovering for other injuries are pulls and strains, not these type of injuries. It's like saying that you shouldn't buy a player who has suffered a broken leg because he is likely to suffer another, it's total b*llocks.

These injuries are totally different to broken legs, broken legs most of the time heal and there is no long term effect, once you have had a new ligament in you have a different knee, it can't be the same.

I didn't say don't buy the player, just pay a sensible fee for a player who is always likely to be an injury risk. Another one on the other knee is worst case scenario but once you have a bad knee it doesn't go away.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5305
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:28 pm

I'm with NER. Albentosa seems to know a fair bit, and more importantly knows when to use Row Z. All our other centre halves, with the exception of Buxton, are regularly bullied - he won't be.

Every team needs a Darren Moore - you just need a pacy partner.
    Boris

Post by Boris on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:40 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:I'm with NER.  Albentosa seems to know a fair bit, and more importantly knows when to use Row Z. All our other centre halves, with the exception of Buxton, are regularly bullied - he won't be.

I've seen him a couple of times live and a few times on the tv and he just looks slow and unfit. Hope he proves me wrong, perhaps he just needs a few games??

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:48 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:I'm with NER.  Albentosa seems to know a fair bit, and more importantly knows when to use Row Z. All our other centre halves, with the exception of Buxton, are regularly bullied - he won't be.

Well I'm hoping for a lot more than Darren Moore!
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

Darren Moore was fantastic, what a leader, what a colossus
    prideParkhead

First ever game : Derby 2 v 0 Liverpool 1975
    Number of posts : 518
    Registration date : 2011-01-08

Post by prideParkhead on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

Hoping we get Norwich in the Play-Offs so we can get our own back on that old hag Delia.

Charge the carrot crunchers £50 per ticket with no concessions for the game at the Ipro, then use this windfall to subsidise our travelling support for the evitable inflated prices for the return match at Carrow Road. Free travel would be the least I would expect for our fans after the capitulation and let down of the last three months by the team and coaches

Stirring the pot
    LeedsRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1352
    Registration date : 2009-07-21

Post by LeedsRam on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 11:59 pm

Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:

celebration

No Boris...cant be arsed to look for it but posted a thread  " the team to watch" Big admirer of their team and their style of play...not the man....respect what he's done though.

No, he's a slimy smug git Boris! Seemingly a good manager though.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 2:39 am

LeedsRam wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:

celebration

We all see things differently Boris.

Charingworth Ram

First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Post by Charingworth Ram on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 7:18 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:I don't agree with those calling Eddie Howe smug. I always think he comes across as fair and pretty generous with his praise of the opposition, he is generally pretty humble and always deflects praise on to others. One thing I will say is that he has an unfortunate face that looks a bit smug, so maybe thats it.

I agree with Loughie too re Howe, i do however feel Mcclaren is smug, slimey and arrogant !!
    Boris

Post by Boris on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 7:58 am

LeedsRam wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:

celebration

Crikey, one of the very few occasions we will have to agree to disagree Leeds COYR
    LeedsRam

First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1352
    Registration date : 2009-07-21

Post by LeedsRam on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

Boris wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:

celebration

Crikey, one of the very few occasions we will have to agree to disagree Leeds COYR

That's a shame - I was hoping for a long, unnecessary and protracted argument. I suppose we could always sit down, talk about it and decide I was right instead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm