a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

NC riddle answered.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13547
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

NC riddle answered.

Post by MadAmster on Fri 22 May 2015, 9:15 pm

A lot of Rams were unsure which pigeon hole fitted NC. Had he taken us as far as he could? Was he stuck in the war of attrition rut?

No doubt he did a lot of good but were we right to get rid in order to take the next step?

Whilst on my jollies on Kos this past week, I think the questions were answered. Talking to a Blades fan, he said

1. Kudos to NC, he has cleared out the deadwood and high earners and replaced them with nippy ball players. They are, however, all small and easily knocked off the ball. We get kicked and bullied out of games by inferior teams.

2. Too safety first minded, we'd like him to be more adventurous.....

3. Substitutions are strange at times. daft things like taking a forward or AM off with 10 minutes to go and replacing them with a defender......... when we are a goal down.

Looks like NC showed us NC. SUFC have the same guy. There was no more to come from him except more of the same.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15718
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Re: NC riddle answered.

Post by RRC on Fri 22 May 2015, 9:30 pm

I've seen the same kind of comments by Sheff Utd fans as we saw in our forums.
    Strange selections, players out of position, substitutions too late and ineffective, too cautious all round . . .
    Clough was good in some ways but he does seem too limited and set in his ways to go further.

One thing that certainly hasn't changed is his tendency to blame the officials.
    After the first leg of their playoff with Swindon, he said they were hard done by etc etc etc.
    I watched the match and it was pretty one-sided with only Swindon prepared to gamble and attack
    while Sheff Utd sat back and made a few token counter attacks for most of the game.

ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3926
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Fri 22 May 2015, 10:58 pm

Don't think Clough will ever change. Good at getting decent players in but too cautious in tactics and substitutions. Built decent foundations here though that will hopefully still bear fruit
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5205
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 22 May 2015, 11:44 pm

I have had regular contact with a Blades STH (of more than 30 years)whom I respect, and his comments mirror those above.

We needed to replace him with a better manager.

The fact remains, did we replace him with a better man?
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2579
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 23 May 2015, 3:23 am

Stockport Ram wrote:I have had regular contact with a Blades STH (of more than 30 years)whom I respect, and his comments mirror those above.

We needed to replace him with a better manager.

The fact remains, did we replace him with a better man?

IMO we replaced NC with a better manager but I am not sure about the better man part.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4300
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Sat 23 May 2015, 11:02 am

He does seem to have transformed the Blades somewhat though.. he's a good firefighter. I wonder if he could actually make a decent PL manager. A Stoke level manager. Solid, not spectacular. Always finishing between 10th-16th.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 23 May 2015, 1:38 pm

He's no longer at DCFC tgfd so, basically, I couldn't care less.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    Cornish Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : Sheff Wed at home, 25/10/89 - Won 2-1.
    Number of posts : 1869
    Registration date : 2009-03-14

Post by Cornish Ram on Sun 24 May 2015, 11:29 am

Agree with Mad Am, we look back at NC with sentiment far too often I think, 5 years of dross IMO, his record of 33% win ratio completely bloody terrible.

We never finished higher than 10th in 5 seasons! Not good enough all round to make it to the top, we were probably the upper of his level.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11111
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 24 May 2015, 11:43 am

He did a job very few other managers could have done, and it's commendable with little money to spend, and wages slashed during his time at the club, that players he brought in are still ths basis of the side that almost won promotion.

He had his limitations but the difference between his spending and McLarens is massive yet we will still be starting next season in the Championship. So was it worth it, because we will never know how Nigel would have done with money to spend.

Nigels work here should never be judged in win percentages because that is only a fraction of the story.
    Cornish Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : Sheff Wed at home, 25/10/89 - Won 2-1.
    Number of posts : 1869
    Registration date : 2009-03-14

Post by Cornish Ram on Sun 24 May 2015, 11:53 am

Disagree Loughie, I think we spent far too long hoping it would come good because his name was Nigel Clough, it was stagnation. Signed some good, signed a lot of bad. We flirted with mid table and nothing more.

How do we know other managers couldn't have done it? HE did spend money too, and didn't do much with it. A certain Mr Sammon springs to mind.

The fact some players he brought in are now flirting with promotion tells you he couldn't manage them properly or know what to do with them. He was na awful manager and if you aren't judging managers by what they've won when supposedly done a good job, what are you judging them on?

He did fantastically well to bring in players he couldn't manage or get playing and never finishing higher than 10th?

Under NC never higher than 10th, under Schteve 3rd and 8th, with the basis of the players NC brought in as you point out so what does that tell you?

As I said back then, and I am a firm believer in this, he would have been sacked much sooner due to his record as Derby County manager being nothing short of abysmal if his name was Nigel Smith.
    Boris

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Boris on Sun 24 May 2015, 12:04 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:He did a job very few other managers could have done, and it's commendable with little money to spend, and wages slashed during his time at the club, that players he brought in are still ths basis of the side that almost won promotion.

He had his limitations but the difference between his spending and McLarens is massive yet we will still be starting next season in the Championship. So was it worth it, because we will never know how Nigel would have done with money to spend.

Nigels work here should never be judged in win percentages because that is only a fraction of the story.

Was the money they had to spend that different Loughs? McLaren has paid a lot in loan fees and the Thorne and Keogh signings come to mind but NC spent a million on Shackell and Sammon and a fair bit on Barker........
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5205
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 24 May 2015, 1:20 pm

Boris wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:He did a job very few other managers could have done, and it's commendable with little money to spend, and wages slashed during his time at the club, that players he brought in are still ths basis of the side that almost won promotion.

Was the money they had to spend that different Loughs? McLaren has paid a lot in loan fees and the Thorne and Keogh signings come to mind but NC spent a million on Shackell and Sammon and a fair bit on Barker........

If he could behave himself (alledgedly) I'd have him back in a heartbeat.  Very fine centre half at Championship level IMHO. For Every Sammon and Keogh there are Brysons, Grants, Martins and Shackells, but its old ground now. NC was the right manager for the right time, but we have moved on.

Imagine what Schteeve would have done if he had taken over the mess left by Jewell ?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 25 May 2015, 11:50 am

Nigel is doing the same at SU as he did here. He did the firefighting bit very well but couldn't take us to the next level. SM has 54% win ratio and has been hit by an injury flood to key players and then failed to rejig things to get the best out of the players we had left. Add to that the rumour, and that is all it is, that he lost the dressing room due to his failure to dis the Toon rumours.

In fact, my son has just told me SU have sacked Clough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 10:46 am