COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Watford manager gone

    Share
    avatar
    Cornish Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : Sheff Wed at home, 25/10/89 - Won 2-1.
    Number of posts : 1870
    Registration date : 2009-03-14
    Points : 2046
    Age : 35
    Location : Bristol

    Watford manager gone

    Post by Cornish Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 4:44 pm

    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23104
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27720
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by New England Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 4:57 pm

    Mad house.



    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 7:08 pm

    New England Ram wrote:Mad house.

    Even more nonsensical than us sacking SM and Sheff Utd sacking Clough Jnr...on a par with Brentford parting company with Warburton...the world of football has gone mad....
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:01 pm

    Boz, I remember an interview with a Middlesborough radio reporter at the start of the season and he said that their fans never took to him despite their success because he always gave the impression that he was only there until something better came along. I dismissed that because I thought that he would be loyal to us being a club he had good times at before. It seems that I may have been wrong.

    If I was Mel Morris I would have made the same decision purely based on the fact that there would be no certainty that having stregthened the squad this summer, he would not walk away for bigger and better things, and with his track record of spotting talent we would be left with a lot of players that any new manager would not want.

    Don't bother trying to say that he dismissed the links because he didn't. He tried to keep his options open and the club have to look after their own interests.

    One more question, If the club asked McLaren in private to assure them that he would see out his contract and he said that he couldn't make those assurances, would your opinion remain the same?
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:17 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:Boz, I remember an interview with a Middlesborough radio reporter at the start of the season and he said that their fans never took to him despite their success because he always gave the impression that he was only there until something better came along. I dismissed that because I thought that he would be loyal to us being a club he had good times at before. It seems that I may have been wrong.

    If I was Mel Morris I would have made the same decision purely based on the fact that there would be no certainty that having stregthened the squad this summer, he would not walk away for bigger and better things, and with his track record of spotting talent we would be left with a lot of players that any new manager would not want.

    Don't bother trying to say that he dismissed the links because he didn't. He tried to keep his options open and the club have to look after their own interests.

    One more question, If the club asked McLaren in private to assure them that he would see out his contract and he said that he couldn't make those assurances, would your opinion remain the same?

    Had a very similar conversation with Purple a few days ago and I attached a link that showed SM categorically stating he was staying at Derby etc etc etc in January when the link originally broke. I haven't seen 1 piece of factual evidence from anyone or anywhere that contradicts this..just total conjecture and hearsay. We can go around the houses and go over the same ground if you want Loughs. As things currently stand you are not going to change my mind, in my opinion I would have rather SM stayed. I am entitled to think that as quite a few others do, it is no more or less valid than you wanting him gone. I have judged SM on his 18 months in charge, not just the last 2....his record speaks for itself and only injuries wrecked another play off place at the very least. A vast improvement on what had been served up over recent years. I think my view is clear, you might disagree but at least respect it. I disagree with you but respect your view ok..finito on this Agree to disagree
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:19 pm

    And the question I asked?
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:22 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:And the question I asked?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30709282

    That's the link Loughs so stop saying he never dismissed the Newcastle link, it's there in black and white....
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:25 pm

    And the question I asked? The one at the end
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:36 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:And the question I asked? The one at the end

    Show me some factual statements to back this up, or is it more hearsay like all the rest.....a smokescreen, an excuse to get rid of him??? You and others keep saying SM didn't categorically dismiss the Newcastle link.......I have shown you and others that he did, it's here in black and white, an interview with the BBC. It's a slur and being totally disingenuous to Steve McLaren for fans to keep coming out with this rubbish. So Loughs, are you going to stop repeating something that is false?? By all means back up what you say Loughs or don't bother posting as its meaningless. But I have said my piece over and over again. It's time to move on, see what happens and get behind Clement.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:44 pm

    Sorry I didn't realise that a hypothetical question would bother you so much.

    Maybe we should do away with opinions all together Boz, and only deal in cold hard facts. Just out of interest though, what on earth makes you believe that you are in receipt of all of the facts rather than some snippets that we have been spoon fed.
    avatar
    Cornish Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : Sheff Wed at home, 25/10/89 - Won 2-1.
    Number of posts : 1870
    Registration date : 2009-03-14
    Points : 2046
    Age : 35
    Location : Bristol

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Cornish Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:52 pm

    Did we need an excuse to get rid of him after failing to get promoted to the premier league for two seasons? Pretty sure that was what the board asked him to do and he failed?

    I don't really care about Newcastle I care about what happened from Feb onwards where he showed he couldn't manage a group of players effectively enough to get promoted when the opportunity couldn't have been better, unless we bring up not seeing QPR off in the play off final.
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:56 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:Sorry I didn't realise that a hypothetical question would bother you so much.

    Maybe we should do away with opinions all together Boz, and only deal in cold hard facts. Just out of interest though, what on earth makes you believe that you are in receipt of all of the facts rather than some snippets that we have been spoon fed.

    Don't come out with that old chestnut Loughs, you are better than that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I prefer to make mine through credible sources, in black and white eg the one I attached that clearly shows that SM, at a very early stage dismissed the Newcastle rumours. I think it is preferable to 'I heard this, my friend heard that, Maud behind the burger van's second cousin knows the nephew of the son-in-law of Jake Buxton's niece'. I take those comments with a pinch of salt. Now, that's my final comment on this, I am 100% behind Clement, hope he achieves what SM failed to do and gets us up. I also thank Steve McLaren for a couple of great seasons that I really enjoyed and got DCFC back on the map. I wish him all the best with the next job he takes.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:06 pm

    F*ck me Boz, you are hard work.

    Read my original post and you will see that I clearly asked you a hypothetical question, no more no less. I didn't dress it up as anything else, I didn't state I'd heard it from a source, I just asked for your opinion. I didn't realise it would cause you to melt down.

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14562
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 15999

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by chicken on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:17 pm

    Forget it Loughie. He never answered my question either.
    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by purpleram on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:23 pm

    Everybody read the quote from January, that's the day the rumours stopped. Mac was never evasive in his answers, everyone at the club is wrong, the DET and Radio Derby are wrong, everyone who listened to his interviews misheard.

    McClarens reputation remains intact, everything else is some kind of mad mass hysteria.

    Luckily we have a resident genius to put us all right.
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:43 pm

    purpleram wrote:Everybody read the quote from January, that's the day the rumours stopped. Mac was never evasive in his answers, everyone at the club is wrong, the DET and Radio Derby are wrong, everyone who listened to his interviews misheard.

    McClarens reputation remains intact, everything else is some kind of mad mass hysteria.

    Luckily we have a resident genius to put us all right.

    Thought you were going to stop making such comments Purple, you lasted around 24 hours. Congratulations, well done. Got to laugh, you challenge me to find a credible source of SM stating categorically that he was staying at Derby and when I do, to save face and embarrassment, you move the goalposts and still claim to be right. Priceless. That's genius Respect
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:48 pm

    Well your "last comment" lasted about half an hour.
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:50 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:F*ck me Boz, you are hard work.

    Read my original post and you will see that I clearly asked you a hypothetical question, no more no less. I didn't dress it up as anything else, I didn't state I'd heard it from a source, I just asked for your opinion. I didn't realise it would cause you to melt down.

    Not in meltdown Loughs, really enjoying the discussion. In terms of the hypothetical question, SM was under contract so if Derby wanted to keep him they could so I don't see the relevance. Are your sources close to the club (you sound like a SKY Sports News reporter) saying that's what happened then??
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:54 pm

    chicken wrote:Forget it Loughie. He never answered my question either.

    What was your question again Chicken..then can you answer mine..if Steve McLaren wanted the Newcastle job so much why didn't he take it on either occasion he was offered it?? Perhaps Loughs you can answer this one as well....becoming a bit of a quiz fest Clapping
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:57 pm

    I have no sources Boz, I never claim to have any inside knowledge.

    I'm surprised how evasive you are but hey ho don't bother if you don't want to answer.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11195
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13575
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 26 May 2015, 10:03 pm

    Boris wrote:
    chicken wrote:Forget it Loughie. He never answered my question either.

    What was your question again Chicken..then can you answer mine..if Steve McLaren wanted the Newcastle job so much why didn't he take it on either occasion he was offered it?? Perhaps Loughs you can answer this one as well....becoming a bit of a quiz fest Clapping

    Not sure how you expect me to answer as you only want facts, and as none of us know why, how can we tell you.

    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 10:05 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:I have no sources Boz, I never claim to have any inside knowledge.

    I'm surprised how evasive you are but hey ho don't bother if you don't want to answer.

    What point are you trying to make Loughs..it's you that's making a big deal out of a hypothetical question not me??? Are you saying the Board wanted SM to commit to the remaining 2 years of his contract and he wouldn't?? When was this discussion held?? Where does that fit in with him not getting on with Mel Morris and Morris wanting to move the club in a different direction with Clement then???
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 51
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Boris on Tue 26 May 2015, 10:07 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:
    Boris wrote:
    chicken wrote:Forget it Loughie. He never answered my question either.

    What was your question again Chicken..then can you answer mine..if Steve McLaren wanted the Newcastle job so much why didn't he take it on either occasion he was offered it?? Perhaps Loughs you can answer this one as well....becoming a bit of a quiz fest Clapping

    Not sure how you expect me to answer as you only want facts, and as none of us know why, how can we tell you.


    And there lies the point Loughs, none of us really know...surely a good time to end the debate and talk about the future under Clement eh???

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14562
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 15999

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by chicken on Tue 26 May 2015, 10:13 pm

    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by purpleram on Tue 26 May 2015, 10:16 pm

    Stop it Chicken, surrender to a superior intellect!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Watford manager gone

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 5:03 am