Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Chelsea

Post by New England Ram on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm

Apparently have 33 players out on loan.
    What a joke .....talk about hoarding players.
    There should be a limit on the amount of professionals you are allowed to have on your books.

baseballer

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Coventry away 1978
    Number of posts : 702
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

Re: Chelsea

Post by baseballer on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

Should be renamed Debeers FC. Abramovich renamed Oppenheimer
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2100
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:58 am

it has worked for them though - sign them cheap and sell for a profit- they are a business and are entitled to employ as many staff as they like

I cant fault them for that - they are one of my least favourite clubs in English football though with an obnoxious git of a manager and a total see you next Tuesday of a skipper
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2355
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:47 am

90% of them 33 on loan will never make a Chelsea first 11 though, that is the problem with them hoarding these players, it's not until they approach early 20s and realise that however, as in the lad who went to Brentford recently
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:51 am

I made this point in another thread. This is the reason it is so damn difficult to find a gem in the foreign leagues now. The big clubs snatch up all the talented youngsters from such young ages. Chelsea aren't the only ones. All the big clubs in Europe do it. I guess that's why we've worked so hard to get Cat 1 status; so we can begin to do the same.
    RoytheRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Southampton-(home) 1965, lost 3-0
    Number of posts : 999
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Post by RoytheRam on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

New England Ram wrote:Apparently have 33 players out on loan.
    There should be a limit on the amount of professionals you are allowed to have on your books.

I see they've bought the lad we should have signed instead of Pearce Mr Hector and loaned him straight back to Reading! Very decent player already with potential to go all the way!
    We've just proved we could've matched what Chelsea paid for him (£4m) but for some reason we went for Pearce! Confused
    Barnstaple Ram

First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:28 pm

Ram78 wrote:90% of them 33 on loan will never make a Chelsea first 11 though, that is the problem with them hoarding these players, it's not until they approach early 20s and realise that however, as in the lad who went to Brentford recently

Victor Moses signed a new 4 year deal with them yesterday then went out on loan for the 3rd season running. Will they ever give him a chance
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:32 pm

RoytheRam wrote:

I see they've bought the lad we should have signed instead of Pearce Mr Hector and loaned him straight back to Reading! Very decent player already with potential to go all the way!
    We've just proved we could've matched what Chelsea paid for him (£4m) but for some reason we went for Pearce! Confused

But we don't know if

1 - Reading would have sold him to another championship club
    2 - He would have wanted to join us

New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:37 pm

rob wrote:it has worked for them though - sign them cheap and sell for a profit- they are a business and are entitled to employ as many staff as they like

I cant fault them for that - they are one of my least favourite clubs in English football though with an obnoxious git of a manager and a total see you next Tuesday of a skipper

And there you have it " they are a business " something I certainly never heard said about a football team prior to 1992.
    Even when clubs were close to going under I cannot remember them being described as " close to going out of business "...
    Derby County Liverpool Rochdale were football clubs.
    Rolls Royce or Aitons was a business nobody ever described their club or any other club as a business.
    I despise what football has become..

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11225
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

The reason that a lot of these clubs buy young talent is to help them comply with financial fair play. For instance if Chelsea have 33 players out on loan it is probably bringing them £20-25m in loan fees which allows them to strengthen their first eleven without transgressing ffp when added to their other income. They have no intention of many of these players commanding a regular first team place, they are purely 'rent a player' commodoties.
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2100
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 1:42 pm

Totally agree NER - but that is the reality of football now - that is why beyond the rams I rarely watch it now - gave up sky years ago and don't miss it - if I need to watch the rams on telly I go to the pub - double bonus :-)
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3739
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    RoytheRam wrote:

But we don't know if

Too late. The time to try and sign Hector was when we were negotiating for Pearce. If we'd have waved £4m at them it might have been a done deal, but the moment Chelsea showed an interest it was game over.

They've only got a squad of about 50 players so they obviously needed to add a few more, and who could resist the chance to sit on their bench join their exciting squad ?

thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    RoytheRam wrote:

But we don't know if

Too late. The time to try and sign Hector was when we were negotiating for Pearce. If we'd have waved £4m at them it might have been a done deal, but the moment Chelsea showed an interest it was game over.

They've only got a squad of about 50 players so they obviously needed to add a few more, and who could resist the chance to sit on their bench join their exciting squad ?

The lad might be good, but I dunno.. I think the situation is more comparable to Shackell than Pearce. Pearce was a free agent, yes he'll have cost us in signing on/agent fees, but otherwise, it was good business for a solid squad player, who at 26 can grow into his peak. So realistically, if anything, it would have been a choice of Hector or Shackell, and I'm glad we went for tried and tested (at Champ and Premiership level) at this point. We needed a leader in the CB position, not a youngster looking to develop.
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    RoytheRam wrote:

But we don't know if

Plus with this deal Reading have the advantage of having him back on loan for the season. Not sure we would have agreed to that

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm