old grounds

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 886
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

old grounds

Post by outsider on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 5:40 am

Came across this in mail on line, few memories of old grounds, old dell was first game when I started going regular with my lad over 25 years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3322493/Football-grounds-Highbury-Roker-Park-look-memorable-stadiums-used-today.html
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: old grounds

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 6:55 am

Good spot.

For those of you on facespace, bookworm, mytwat, or whatever its called, there's a fabulous closed group entitled "Lost football grounds of England, Wales and Scotland".

I have wasted many a happy nostalgic hour on there.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 7:39 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Good spot.

For those of you on facespace, bookworm, mytwat, or whatever its called, there's a fabulous closed group entitled "Lost football grounds of England, Wales and Scotland".

I have wasted many a happy nostalgic hour on there.

Is this it ?

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/old-british-football-grounds-and-stands.html

When I was a pup used to go to Somerton park Newport. Great watching derby visit there in 70s I think and then see derby crowd chanting.... Memories
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 6:49 am

I was at Somerton Park on New Years Day c 1985 when our game was abandoned after half an hour.

Its a facebook group, but I love both of your links.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 7:29 am

Was there to in Newport end, soaked, losing 1 nil as well as far as I can remember
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 7:34 am

outsider wrote:Was there to in Newport end, soaked, losing 1 nil as well as far as I can remember

The ironic thing was that my mate's car broke down about 5 minutes from our house in Stockport, and we were sweating on the AA getting there quickly to get us to the game on time !  It only started raining when we got to Wales, too....

I still have this image of Gary Micklewhite punting the ball ahead of himself and taking on the full back, only to be nutmegged by his own pass as the ball landed in front of him and sank in a small pond - he promptly ran past it as it went straight through his legs !

You are right - I think we went behind to a penalty.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 7:42 am

Maybe its my age but I like looking at all grounds, I can remember the travelling all goes with football in them days but can never remember results :o

There was some shit holes but atmosphere was alot better, terracing made football bitd.
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 4:47 am

I've been on most of those grounds with my old man.

The two matches at which I remember being the coldest I've ever been were at Ayresome Park and the Victoria Ground; both occasions ended in utterly uninspiring draws. The way the wind would blow right off the North Sea and directly into away fans' faces at Sunderland was brutal. At Elm Park I remember the bogs just being roofless breeze-block walls around a tile trough in the ground with weeds growing out of the cracks. Perhaps the non-communist world's most deservedly demolished stadium. I remember the wooden floor of the upper deck at the Dell. The place seemed like a giant fire hazard, but it made fantastic noise when everyone stamped their feet. Saw a nice away win there not long before they moved out. And I remember getting soaked at the Vetch because I wanted to stand near the pitch for an F.A. Cup fourth round tie.

Probably just being sentimental, but I think I'd rather stand on any one of those grounds than visit the modern space ships they've all been replaced with. Especially the one just off the Normanton Road in DE1.

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 9:07 am

Mitten State Ram wrote:I've been on most of those grounds with my old man.

The two matches at which I remember being the coldest I've ever been were at Ayresome Park and the Victoria Ground; both occasions ended in utterly uninspiring draws. The way the wind would blow right off the North Sea and directly into away fans' faces at Sunderland was brutal. At Elm Park I remember the bogs just being roofless breeze-block walls around a tile trough in the ground with weeds growing out of the cracks. Perhaps the non-communist world's most deservedly demolished stadium. I remember the wooden floor of the upper deck at the Dell. The place seemed like a giant fire hazard, but it made fantastic noise when everyone stamped their feet. Saw a nice away win there not long before they moved out. And I remember getting soaked at the Vetch because I wanted to stand near the pitch for an F.A. Cup fourth round tie.

Probably just being sentimental, but I think I'd rather stand on any one of those grounds than visit the modern space ships they've all been replaced with. Especially the one just off the Normanton Road in DE1.

I couldn't agree more.
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 541
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sat 05 Dec 2015, 5:47 pm

I think the coldest match I went to was against Donny Rovers at Belle Vue in the league cup (Billy Davies ere).Tuesday night around November/December? I think we were 3-0 down at halftime but came back to take it to penalties. We lost them about 13-12 I think.

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:03 am