Referee "Blindness"

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4357
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Referee "Blindness"

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:10 am

After the stupidity of reddog Mills the Referee asked the assistant what he saw and the came to the conclusion that the foul on Carson was not deliberate and the hands on Keogh was not a sending off offence, did neither of them see what 33,000 in the Ipro saw?

Then came Match Of The Day on TV and the Leicester vs Palace match where Huth got his shirt pulled off his back in the penalty area (literally) and not a glimmer from the assistant or referee even though a stadium full of supporters saw it.

Just two examples of referee "blindness" from this weekend that now occurs every week. Is it now time for technology to make an appearance?
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Re: Referee "Blindness"

Post by whestonram on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:21 am

Yes
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23024
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:12 am

Big resounding no from me Sawl.
    Goal line technology has been fine with the way they set it up.
    But in general I'm totally against technology in the game.
    We got one ref and two biased ( one for each side) linesman in local football and it was good enough for us.
    Should be good enough for the pro game..if there were not cameras all over the grounds it would be all hearsay in the pub after as to what happened..that was always half the fun of going to the match and incidents within it.
    Now it's all trial by camera especially for the refs..and equally I don't want the game being reffed by someone who is not even out there in the cold.

I would be up for adding two extra linesman though.

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10213
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:40 pm

Happy with goal line technology , would even accept reviewing if offence in or outside the box once the ref has decided it is a foul (though not allowed to revoke the decision on foul play)but with NER on the rest. These days TV use freeze frame and different angles to prove whether a play was a millimetre offside. How long would matches be held up for reviews

derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Post by derbygee on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

tv refs are ruining Rugby

goal line tech OK but no further. BT sport dont help by having Howard (I'm so gorgeous, if I was chocolate I'd eat myself) Webb reffing every game inslow motion
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11111
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

We don't need technology until the referees give honest decisions without consideration to who they are trying to please and the effect every decision has on their future.

Start by making sure that refs get more of the big decisions right more often, after all the two decisions you highlighted needed no technology, they were clear and extremely simple decisions that the referees involved CHOSE not to give for whatever ulterior motive they had.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4300
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:44 pm

It's strange too.. because the ref in Saturday's game was extremely card happy before our game.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23024
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 2:18 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:It's strange too.. because the ref in Saturday's game was extremely card happy before our game.

That's what my mate was worried about prior to the game.
    And I thought the ref did well generally and I actually had no issues with how he dealt with the handbags incident to be honest.
    Their lad by the letter of the law was on sticky ground when he put his hands up in Keoghs face but Keogh went down like a burnt tart.
    And deserved his yellow for awful acting imo.

Last edited by New England Ram on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

derbygee

Post by derbygee on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 4:31 pm

SawleyRam wrote:After the stupidity of reddog Mills the Referee asked the assistant what he saw and the came to the conclusion that the foul on Carson was not deliberate and the hands on Keogh was not a sending off offence, did neither of them see what 33,000 in the Ipro saw?

Then came Match Of The Day on TV and the Leicester vs Palace match where Huth got his shirt pulled off his back in the penalty area (literally) and not a glimmer from the assistant or referee even though a stadium full of supporters saw it.

Just two examples of referee "blindness" from this weekend that now occurs every week. Is it now time for technology to make an appearance?

Wonder how he'd have handled Franny and Norman Hunter? Fight
    baseballer

First ever game : Coventry away 1978
    Number of posts : 691
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

Post by baseballer on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 7:03 pm

Ref and lino on Saturday we're either cowards or just not watching the assault on Carson and Keogh.

I think that they should accept/allow shirt pulling (not my choice) or start carding. Simples
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1326
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:40 am

Smalling should have been sent off in Manchester derby...ref bottled it.
    All we want is the correct decisions...and the referees seem incapable of getting it right...so either sack them..or help them with technology...probably the 4th official with a TV screen...which would take seconds to see.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4357
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 9:12 am

valakari wrote:Smalling should have been sent off in Manchester derby...ref bottled it.
    All we want is the correct decisions...and the referees seem incapable of getting it right...so either sack them..or help them with technology...probably the 4th official with a TV screen...which would take seconds to see.

Human error has, and always will enter our national game but what should be strived for is consistency from referees to prevent what appears to be bias when they get it wrong. Your suggestion Val whilst not being the cure all because of players trying to cheat the officials would certainly be a step in the right direction. The funding for a small room, the extra equipment and the extra official could come from the gigantic moneypot of TV money. But that's too simple isn't it?
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:29 pm

Consistancy in decisions is the big bug bear of mine

Arsenal v Fester - Danny Simpson pulls Girouds arm , foul, yellow card (his second) fester down to 10 men . Arsenal come back and win

Next live game same day Villa v Liverpool . Villa defender pulls arm of Liverpool forward, free kick not even a talking to from the ref
    derbygee

Post by derbygee on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:46 pm

video reffing is ruining top flight rugby. Nearly every try goes to the video ref, games are stopped by the video ref who has benefit of umpteen angles and slow motion replays. Introducing that technology has extended the time taken to play a game by anything up to 15 minutes each half.

What is needed is more consistency, more discipline and an end to pandering to the big clubs. It would take very little time to stop players gobbing off at a referee if he sent them off in accordance with the laws, same for divers, same for shirt pullers, stop players appealing every time they lose the ball.

Managers would have to stop players cheating, the referees job would then become manageable
    rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4243
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

would help as well if players stop this "hamming it up" 

6 foot brick outhouses dont fall over with a bitch slap, Keough right to be booked IMHO

Fookin man up and stop trying to fiddle the ref and incense opposition players, bit of a wind up is fun this girls play is not

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    asotrsott

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:22 am

I like Richard Keogh, but he went down like a sack of slack jackets....come on! play fair!
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13547
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 8:55 am

In short, all of the things we fans don't like about the game are caused by players doing stuff they know they shouldn't and hoping to get away with it. Refs don't call most of it as they would be whistling every 5 seconds.......

If the players stop all the crap the refs job will be easy, as it is, it is made hard by the cheats aka players.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm

as our resident man in black Ammy do the following rules still apply as they are never seem to be punished

Goalies 6 second to release ball into play
    Encroachment at penalties
    Goalie moving at penalties
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13547
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 3:59 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:as our resident man in black Ammy do the following rules still apply as they are never seem to be punished

Goalies 6 second to release ball into play
    Encroachment at penalties
    Goalie moving at penalties

The answer to all 3 is a resounding YES!! they do apply.

However, and there always is one, they don't get applied. Explanation? Of course....

1. Some time back, refs were given an instruction to be lenient on the 6 second rule IF an opposition player was interfering in the releasing of the ball. Slowly but surely they let it slide. The Law is still there but very rarely gets enforced and some keepers keep the ball 15 to 20 seconds, even if there is no opposition player near him. One day they might start calling it "time wasting" .....

2. Encroachment is still an offence, however, if players of both sides have encroached, as happens at almost every penalty, they let it go as almost every penalty would be retaken multiple times and slow down/ruin the game. Should there be a rebound and one of the encroachees scores, it will generally be disallowed.

3. Goalie moving at penalties. He is allowed to move laterally and ON the goal line. Until the penalty taker his made contact with the ball, the keeper is not allowed to move forward of the goal line. Not always easy to judge but some keepers manage a good 2 yards forwards before the kick is taken and that greatly narrows the angle. They don't get penalised anything like often enough.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content