COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    RIP Prince

    Share
    avatar
    Boris

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Points : 7731
    Age : 52
    Location : Shropshire

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by Boris on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 11:23 am

    MadAmster wrote:"proper Northern" track from Stevie............

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27AB043nAoc

    I don't think Prince had quite the influence on other artists that either Bowie or Lennon had...
    avatar
    Mucker1884

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10290
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Points : 11313
    Age : 55
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by Mucker1884 on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 11:38 am

    I quite fancied that Sheena Easton fella when she was on that reality thing with Esther Rantzid all those years back. Didn't she become the artist formerly known as Prince, or am I getting them mixed up?

    I have to say though... music doesn't play a big part in my life... although I do have a very rare pressing of "Steve Bloomer's Watching" which keeps the same and correct speed throughout (33rpm, seeing as you ask!), so that might be worth a few bob?

    Singers



    Must say though... they all seem to be dropping like flies so far this year... is it a generation thing? ... and is it the generation that many of us seem to be included in?
    For someone who has already surpassed his own fathers age by 4 years, this is all getting very scary!! Shocked
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23405
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28045
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by New England Ram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:18 pm

    Mucker1884 wrote:I quite fancied that Sheena Easton fella when she was on that reality thing with Esther Rantzid all those years back.  Didn't she become the artist formerly known as Prince, or am I getting them mixed up?

    I have to say though... music doesn't play a big part in my life... although I do have a very rare pressing of "Steve Bloomer's Watching" which keeps the same and correct speed throughout  (33rpm, seeing as you ask!), so that might be worth a few bob?

    Singers



    Must say though... they all seem to be dropping like flies so far this year... is it a generation thing? ... and is it the generation that many of us seem to be included in?  
    For someone who has already surpassed his own fathers age by 4 years, this is all getting very scary!!  Shocked

    Any I was at Princes testimonial Nurse



    avatar
    Barnstaple Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Points : 12098
    Age : 50
    Location : In front of my computer

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:21 pm

    If Prince did nothing else he wrote one of the more memorable songs of my musical years with Nothing Compares to U.

    This morning the Sun carried 2 head lines

    "Prince Dies on Queens Birthday " and "Purple Reign Over". This led to me having a lond discussion with my daughter about him whilst we delivered the papers
    avatar
    derbygee

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06
    Points : 840
    Location : in front of my computer

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by derbygee on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:21 pm

    New England Ram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    derbygee wrote:He was so good I couldn't tell you a single tune or song he ever played or sang.

    Didn't he once get all weird about his name?

    Sorry but he just hasn't impacted my life at all whereas Lemmy, Freddie Mercury and Bowie truly were greats
    Gee that's cos your a thick fishcake, if you can't recognise his contribution to music then I give up.


    You a fan by any chance PURPS LOL
    The only thing I know about Prince is the name thing, as far as music goes I know nothing about him, I wouldn't know if it was him singing if I heard him, I genuinely have no idea of any of his music whatsoever unlike Freddie Mercury, David Bowie and Marc Bolan who are all instantly recognisable the minute their songs are played.
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6418
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6958
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by CornwallRam on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm


    Do I do and I just called to say I love you? Really? You're holding those up as high points? Now Higher Ground was a decent song, but the majority of that list is just pretty bland and formulaic. Even My Cherie Amour was originally written about Chicken.

    Admittedly, I'm over egging it a little, Stevie Wonder was a star and has made a contribution to music, but he's one of about a thousand on that level. Prince was on a completely different one, which would include John Lennon and David Bowie - I'd still say that Prince edges it on all round talent, but I can easily understand anyone making a different judgement. It's hard to think of many more in that category - maybe Chuck Berry for actually driving this whole rock'n'roll in the first place, possibly Buddy Holly if he'd have lived longer? Bob Marley not innovative enough, Michael Jackson and Madonna didn't write enough of their own songs, although all three were/are undoubtedly superstars. Elvis was probably the biggest star, but I think that Mad Amster put my view on him perfectly - had something special, joined the army, left the army, got fat, complacent and rubbish.
    avatar
    derbygee

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06
    Points : 840
    Location : in front of my computer

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by derbygee on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:32 pm

    purpleram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    derbygee wrote:He was so good I couldn't tell you a single tune or song he ever played or sang.

    Didn't he once get all weird about his name?

    Sorry but he just hasn't impacted my life at all whereas Lemmy, Freddie Mercury and Bowie truly were greats
    Gee that's cos your a thick fishcake, if you can't recognise his contribution to music then I give up.


    You a fan by any chance PURPS LOL

    He's getting on me thrupenny bits NER to be honest. He's so negative about everything, Rage LOL

    All I said was I couldn't tell you a single song he ever sang that is how big an impact he had on me. I aint one for praising somebody I never knew, did nothing that impacted my life or that of my family just because he's shuffled off So far on this thread he's been called the greatest thing in music, Stevie Wonder, Bowie and Pressley have all been slagged off in turn.

    All I said was I couldn't tell you a single song he wrote or sang and because of that I get a fishcaking cyber kicking?

    To bring this back on topic you can RAM it!
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6418
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6958
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by CornwallRam on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm

    derbygee wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    derbygee wrote:He was so good I couldn't tell you a single tune or song he ever played or sang.

    Didn't he once get all weird about his name?

    Sorry but he just hasn't impacted my life at all whereas Lemmy, Freddie Mercury and Bowie truly were greats
    Gee that's cos your a thick fishcake, if you can't recognise his contribution to music then I give up.


    You a fan by any chance PURPS LOL

    He's getting on me thrupenny bits NER to be honest. He's so negative about everything, Rage LOL

    All I said was I couldn't tell you a single song he ever sang that is how big an impact he had on me. I aint one for praising somebody I never knew, did nothing that impacted my life or that of my family just because he's shuffled off So far on this thread he's been called the greatest thing in music, Stevie Wonder, Bowie and Pressley have all been slagged off in turn.

    All I said was I couldn't tell you a single song he wrote or sang and because of that I get a fishcaking cyber kicking?

    To bring this back on topic you can RAM it!

    You're honestly saying that you can't remember a single Prince song? Were you in a coma for the millennium? I'm a fan, and even I got sick of this.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11639
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 14122
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 1:57 pm

    Just to add, 'Songs in the key of life' written by Stevie Wonder is widely recognised as one of the best albums ever written, and a must have for music fans. I don't recall anybody other than Prince fans ever giving the equivalent accolade to any of his royal purpleness' efforts.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14822
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16619
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by MadAmster on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 3:28 pm

    Boris wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:"proper Northern" track from Stevie............

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27AB043nAoc

    I don't think Prince had quite the influence on other artists that either Bowie or Lennon had...

    Must be me but I fail to see the link between a post of mine posting a link to a Stevie Wonder classic and your subsequent comment about Prince.....
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6418
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6958
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by CornwallRam on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:11 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:Just to add, 'Songs in the key of life' written by Stevie Wonder is widely recognised as one of the best albums ever written, and a must have for music fans. I don't recall anybody other than Prince fans ever giving the equivalent accolade to any of his royal purpleness' efforts.

    I've always thought that Stevie Wonder was the 'Manchester United' option. You know, when you ask a non-football fan who they support, they often default to Man U. Stevie Wonder always seems to be the choice of people who don't actually like music very much. I ran a record shop for many years and I can honestly say that no one ever recognised any Stevie Wonder album as anything other than mass produced generic soul.

    I seem to remember Prince got an Oscar for the Purple Rain score - I'd say that was a fair accolade!
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23405
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28045
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by New England Ram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:19 pm

    CornwallRam wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Just to add, 'Songs in the key of life' written by Stevie Wonder is widely recognised as one of the best albums ever written, and a must have for music fans. I don't recall anybody other than Prince fans ever giving the equivalent accolade to any of his royal purpleness' efforts.

    I've always thought that Stevie Wonder was the 'Manchester United' option. You know, when you ask a non-football fan who they support, they often default to Man U. Stevie Wonder always seems to be the choice of people who don't actually like music very much. I ran a record shop for many years and I can honestly say that no one ever recognised any Stevie Wonder album as anything other than mass produced generic soul.

    I seem to remember Prince got an Oscar for the Purple Rain score - I'd say that was a fair accolade!

    Sam Smith won one this year as well Corny with one of the worst ever Bond tracks imo.



    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by purpleram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:39 pm

    Showing a bit of musical snobbery there Corny, nothing wrong with songs that have a wide appeal.
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6418
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6958
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by CornwallRam on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:50 pm

    New England Ram wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Just to add, 'Songs in the key of life' written by Stevie Wonder is widely recognised as one of the best albums ever written, and a must have for music fans. I don't recall anybody other than Prince fans ever giving the equivalent accolade to any of his royal purpleness' efforts.

    I've always thought that Stevie Wonder was the 'Manchester United' option. You know, when you ask a non-football fan who they support, they often default to Man U. Stevie Wonder always seems to be the choice of people who don't actually like music very much. I ran a record shop for many years and I can honestly say that no one ever recognised any Stevie Wonder album as anything other than mass produced generic soul.

    I seem to remember Prince got an Oscar for the Purple Rain score - I'd say that was a fair accolade!

    Sam Smith won one this year as well Corny with one of the worst ever Bond tracks imo.

    True, but in an accolade measuring contest, an Oscar is the full Ron Jeremy
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6418
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6958
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by CornwallRam on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:55 pm

    purpleram wrote:Showing a bit of musical snobbery there Corny, nothing wrong with songs that have a wide appeal.

    No, there's nothing wrong with songs that have wide appeal, but having wide appeal does not automatically make them good.

    http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19810301/7501/
    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by purpleram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 5:23 pm

    But Stevie Wonder is good, very good, I know opinions can vary but he deserves to counted as a legend.
    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by purpleram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

    Bloody hell Percy Sledge has passed away now.
    avatar
    derbygee

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06
    Points : 840
    Location : in front of my computer

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by derbygee on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 6:23 pm

    CornwallRam wrote:
    derbygee wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    derbygee wrote:He was so good I couldn't tell you a single tune or song he ever played or sang.

    Didn't he once get all weird about his name?

    Sorry but he just hasn't impacted my life at all whereas Lemmy, Freddie Mercury and Bowie truly were greats
    Gee that's cos your a thick fishcake, if you can't recognise his contribution to music then I give up.


    You a fan by any chance PURPS LOL

    He's getting on me thrupenny bits NER to be honest. He's so negative about everything, Rage LOL

    All I said was I couldn't tell you a single song he ever sang that is how big an impact he had on me. I aint one for praising somebody I never knew, did nothing that impacted my life or that of my family just because he's shuffled off So far on this thread he's been called the greatest thing in music, Stevie Wonder, Bowie and Pressley have all been slagged off in turn.

    All I said was I couldn't tell you a single song he wrote or sang and because of that I get a fishcaking cyber kicking?

    To bring this back on topic you can RAM it!

    You're honestly saying that you can't remember a single Prince song? Were you in a coma for the millennium? I'm a fan, and even I got sick of this.

    vaguely familiar tune sort of background mishmash that has proliferated since the death of vinyl , but I honestly never associated it with "symbol" formerly known as Prince
    avatar
    derbygee

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06
    Points : 840
    Location : in front of my computer

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by derbygee on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 6:27 pm

    purpleram wrote:Bloody hell Percy Sledge has passed away now.

    even worse H from steps has gone


    avatar
    Mucker1884

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10290
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Points : 11313
    Age : 55
    Location : Derby

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by Mucker1884 on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 6:46 pm

    Percy Sledge died 53 weeks ago! Oops

    Green line for the "H" from steps pic though! Brilliant! LOL roll
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23405
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28045
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by New England Ram on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 7:05 pm

    Mucker1884 wrote:Percy Sledge died 53 weeks ago!  Oops

    Green line for the  "H" from steps pic though!  Brilliant!  LOL roll

    Ha I also read that P Snow Rider died yesterday..and discovered this morning that it was in fact a year ago.
    Through the fog can I just say Percy was great.
    And I'm sorry I missed your death day Percy am about as on the ball as the COYR birthday committee !



    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by purpleram on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:42 am

    Soz popped up on my facebook today.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16277
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20383

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by RRC on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:55 am

    Also RIP these musicians, whose work is still being borrowed
    without acknowledgement by composers and musicians today -

    JS Bach (1750)
    GF Handel (1759)
    WA Mozart (1791)
    L van Beethoven (1827)
    F Chopin (1849)
    F Liszt (1886)
    G Verdi (1901)

    We won't be around to see if some of the people mentioned above
    stand the test of time as long as these musical giants, let alone
    the many composers who went before them in earlier centuries and,
    even earlier, those who invented musical notation so that music
    could be written down.

    Just trying to add a little perspective to this thread.



    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23405
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28045
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 4:33 am

    To be fair I always thought Bach was a bit rough and I could never get to grips with Handels music.

    Oops sorry Jo getting my coat




    Sponsored content

    Re: RIP Prince

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun 23 Sep 2018, 3:51 pm