a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Man U

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Man U

Post by MadAmster on Sun 22 May 2016, 11:42 am

As you all know, I have a deep rooted down against them for valid reasons. I have also always held them in some regard as they always try to play football the "right" way and they have also done business the "right" way.

If the rumour mill is right and they have sacked LvG on the day he won them the FA Cup then they have joined the dregs of the game.

Sacking LvG yesterday is not the "right" way to do business, it is cheap and underhanded. Matt Busby must be turning in his grave.

If the "special one" is to be LvGs repacement then the football will follow ethics out of the window as ALL of his sides have played on the counter and that is not the MU way.

MUFC have always had these two saving graces, I hope the rumour mill is wrong on both counts.

I hope you are all as surprised to see me write something pro MU as I am to have felt the need to write it. Never saw that coming did we?
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Man U

Post by New England Ram on Sun 22 May 2016, 12:50 pm

Palace should sack Pardew for being a twa*....how embarrassing was he

Boris

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Boris on Sun 22 May 2016, 12:51 pm

MadAmster wrote:As you all know, I have a deep rooted down against them for valid reasons. I have also always held them in some regard as they always try to play football the "right" way and they have also done business the "right" way.

If the rumour mill is right and they have sacked LvG on the day he won them the FA Cup then they have joined the dregs of the game.

Sacking LvG yesterday is not the "right" way to do business, it is cheap and underhanded. Matt Busby must be turning in his grave.

If the "special one" is to be LvGs repacement then the football will follow ethics out of the window as ALL of his sides have played on the counter and that is not the MU way.

MUFC have always had these two saving graces, I hope the rumour mill is wrong on both counts.

I hope you are all as surprised to see me write something pro MU as I am to have felt the need to write it. Never saw that coming did we?

I think it is a sign of the times Mad, more and more Managers are being dispatched with for no good reason. Look at Flores at Watford, Warburton at Brentford and some might argue that both Clement and Clough were unfortunate at Derby...
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 May 2016, 6:28 am

As others have said in other threads Bozza, that Quique Flores would be a decent move for DCFC......
    Hectors House

First ever game : Burnley i think
    Number of posts : 1505
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by Hectors House on Mon 23 May 2016, 7:21 am

Just think how happy we would be finishing 5th and winning the FA cup.
    Seems all that matters now is finishing 4th or above and sod any cups except champions league and possibly europa
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Mon 23 May 2016, 8:26 am

MadAmster wrote:As you all know, I have a deep rooted down against them for valid reasons. I have also always held them in some regard as they always try to play football the "right" way and they have also done business the "right" way.

Van Gaal is retiring next season anyway so he would have been a lame duck in his last season, I think keeping a manager to the end of the season then changing if needed is a sensible way to go, Lionel Pickering did it with Roy Mac and that was one of the best choices made by DCFC I can remember.

Van Gaal came in at a difficult time, he has the ship pointed in the right direction got some good young players through, did well getting players out something DCFC need to do now but his team struggled to entertain the massive crowd.

United are now some way off the top table of European football, Mourinho has the pedigree if he can galvanise the enormous support United will soon be back where they were 5 years ago. Woodward has made them a money making machine now, Mourinho is a risk in some ways due to his volatile nature but a risk they have to take at this stage.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 May 2016, 8:54 am

Was Fergie a lame duck in HIS last season? LvG would still do his best, looking to ship players out and in to improve things and pave the way to the future.

When you look at the massive injury problems he has had this season, he has done brilliantly to finish 5th and win the Cup.

What is your opinion on the points I made about a) the lack of class in sacking LvG (if he has been sacked) right after he picked up the Cup and b) Mourinho not playing the type of football MU has always gone for and going away from the "Busby" philosophy?
    Angus

Post by Angus on Mon 23 May 2016, 9:20 am

MadAmster wrote:Was Fergie a lame duck in HIS last season? LvG would still do his best, looking to ship players out and in to improve things and pave the way to the future.

When you look at the massive injury problems he has had this season, he has done brilliantly to finish 5th and win the Cup.

What is your opinion on the points I made about a) the lack of class in sacking LvG (if he has been sacked) right after he picked up the Cup and b) Mourinho not playing the type  of football MU has always gone for and going away from the "Busby" philosophy?  

I think Fergie stayed longer than he really wanted to as a sense of duty seeing the club through the phase of under investment paying off loans before Woodward got the commercial side onto another level, in doing so though to end on a high he left an ageing side, which declined very fast.

Lacking class not sure, if it has all been done behind Van Gaal's back maybe but it may have been agreed this was his last season no journo really knows, as I can see all guesswork. As for Mourinho he hasn't evolved much from his original blueprint, his first Chelsea side was a very good side and a bit more flexible than his later effort, if United can get to that or close to it he will be a success, if he upsets the wrong people and goes into his bunker he could be a disaster.

Could go either way will be interesting for sure, can't see to many better options out there though, a risk I think United have to take.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4336
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 23 May 2016, 11:37 am

The FA Cup (which was not a cut and dry victory) masks what has been a very poor season for Man Utd. A team with their resources and the money he has spent should, Man Utd should be finishing in the top 4, no excuses. I'm not surprised to see LvG given his marching orders.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2324
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Mon 23 May 2016, 11:59 am

What would of happened if fergie got sacked many moons ago after being saved by mark robins, FA cup game if I remember right
    derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Post by derbygee on Mon 23 May 2016, 12:36 pm

I just hope that Man c untied suffer!
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4336
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 23 May 2016, 1:07 pm

Ram78 wrote:What would of happened if fergie got sacked many moons ago after being saved by mark robins, FA cup game if I remember right

Difference is, LvG has been in charge for 2 years and spent quarter of a billion pounds. Surely you'd want a bit more of a return.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 24 May 2016, 8:30 am

Angus wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Was Fergie a lame duck in HIS last season? LvG would still do his best, looking to ship players out and in to improve things and pave the way to the future.

What is your opinion on the points I made about a) the lack of class in sacking LvG (if he has been sacked) right after he picked up the Cup and b) Mourinho not playing the type  of football MU has always gone for and going away from the "Busby" philosophy?  

I think Fergie stayed longer than he really wanted to as a sense of duty seeing the club through the phase of under investment paying off loans before Woodward got the commercial side onto another level, in doing so though to end on a high he left an ageing side, which declined very fast.

Lacking class not sure, if it has all been done behind Van Gaal's back maybe but it may have been agreed this was his last season no journo really knows, as I can see all guesswork. As for Mourinho he hasn't evolved much from his original blueprint, his first Chelsea side was a very good side and a bit more flexible than his later effort, if United can get to that or close to it he will be a success, if he upsets the wrong people and goes into his bunker he could be a disaster.

Could go either way will be interesting for sure, can't see to many better options out there though, a risk I think United have to take.

Done behind van Gaal's back. He was expecting, or was it more hoping, to finish the last year of his contract. Tweak the squad in the summer and give the club/fans the type of season they want and believe they deserve.

Done behind van Gaal's back. Soon the whole world will know that MU paid Mourinho £4M some 6 months ago NOT to take a job. Sly, underhanded and totally without class.

Mourinho? If he IS the new gaffer, and I expect him to be announced officially sooner rather than later, then MU can expect a 2nd/3rd/4th place finish next season, the title the season after and a replica of Chelsea's 15/16 season in his 3rd year. That is Mourinho's history, good season, title, relative failure. He is a 3 year manager. After that time the magic has worn off.

On another point, I heard a fact this morning which, when I heard it, amazed me for about 2 seconds before I realised that, had I ever searched my memory bank on this matter, I would have already known it. The fact? MU has won more titles than any other English club but only 3 MUFC managers have won those titles, Ernest Mangnall in 1908 and 1911, Matt Busby on 5 occasions between 1952 and 1967 and Sir Alex Ferguson won the rest.

Angus

Post by Angus on Tue 24 May 2016, 9:04 am

MadAmster wrote:
    Angus wrote:

Done behind van Gaal's back. He was expecting, or was it more hoping, to finish the last year of his contract. Tweak the squad in the summer and give the club/fans the type of season they want and believe they deserve.

Done behind van Gaal's back. Soon the whole world will know that MU paid Mourinho £4M some 6 months ago NOT to take a job. Sly, underhanded and totally without class.

Mourinho? If he IS the new  gaffer, and I expect him to be announced officially sooner rather than later, then MU can expect a 2nd/3rd/4th place finish next season, the title the season after and a replica of Chelsea's 15/16 season in his 3rd year. That is Mourinho's history, good season, title, relative failure. He is a 3 year manager. After that time the magic has worn off.

On another point, I heard a fact this morning which, when I heard it, amazed me for about 2 seconds before I realised that, had I ever searched my memory bank on this matter, I would have already known it. The fact? MU has won more titles than any other English club but only 3 MUFC managers have won those titles, Ernest Mangnall in 1908 and 1911, Matt Busby on 5 occasions between 1952 and 1967 and Sir Alex Ferguson won the rest.

If Van Gaal was expecting to carry on next season he was deluded, performance was a long way off expectation, quality and results and no great sign of improvement to come, really he could justifiably have been pushed earlier, most clubs would have done.

You quote a story from yesterday's Mail, whose football coverage is pretty off the mark most of the time. Most of these hacks are stealing a living they don't have the inside track at United or most clubs these days, nor do they have much basic football knowledge, most of them tipped Leicester to go down.

Most of Van Gaal's best moments were reminding the Fat Man and his mates how clueless they really are in press conferences, anything half decent they produce on United is regurgitated off Red Issue, they really are stealing a living.
    Boris

First ever game : Ipswich 2 Rams 6 1976
    Number of posts : 6707
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Boris on Tue 24 May 2016, 9:29 am

Angus wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Angus wrote:

Mourinho? If he IS the new  gaffer, and I expect him to be announced officially sooner rather than later, then MU can expect a 2nd/3rd/4th place finish next season, the title the season after and a replica of Chelsea's 15/16 season in his 3rd year. That is Mourinho's history, good season, title, relative failure. He is a 3 year manager. After that time the magic has worn off.

If Van Gaal was expecting to carry on next season he was deluded, performance was a long way off expectation, quality and results and no great sign of improvement to come, really he could justifiably have been pushed earlier, most clubs would have done.

You quote a story from yesterday's Mail, whose football coverage is pretty off the mark most of the time. Most of these hacks are stealing a living they don't have the inside track at United or most clubs these days, nor do they have much basic football knowledge, most of them tipped Leicester to go down.

Most of Van Gaal's best moments were reminding the Fat Man and his mates how clueless they really are in press conferences, anything half decent they produce on United is regurgitated off Red Issue, they really are stealing a living.

Unlike the 'in the know' footballing genius that is our Angus happy
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 24 May 2016, 10:37 am

Angus wrote:1. If Van Gaal was expecting to carry on next season he was deluded, performance was a long way off expectation, quality and results and no great sign of improvement to come, really he could justifiably have been pushed earlier, most clubs would have done.

2. You quote a story from yesterday's Mail, whose football coverage is pretty off the mark most of the time. Most of these hacks are stealing a living they don't have the inside track at United or most clubs these days, nor do they have much basic football knowledge, most of them tipped Leicester to go down.

1. Van Gaal says he is surprised and disappointed at his sacking in an interview with a Dutch journalist. He was expecting the Cup win and the huge injury list to give him another shot at it.

2. No Angus, I did not quote the Daily Mail, or any other English rag either as I don't read them. That the story may have been in yesterday's Mail is pure coincidence and irrelevant. The €5M story was first seen/heard in Holland months ago, put out by Johan Derksen, former professional player, founder and former (had to retire at 65) editor of Voetbal International and still does three shows a week on TV on football and he has immense background knowledge in international football and most weeks he has a scoop which turns out to be true. I also know the man personally and he is hardly ever wide of the mark.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:27 am