a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Will Roy bottle it

thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4250
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Will Roy bottle it

Post by thatguyfromderby on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm

It's too early to say about any of the teams. We look just as good as anyone else currently.

Germany looked pretty poor against Poland, France have stuttered in both their games, Spain didn't really set the world on fire.. Italy are the only team that have really turned it on so far.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 3:36 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:It's too early to say about any of the teams. We look just as good as anyone else currently.

Germany looked pretty poor against Poland, France have stuttered in both their games, Spain didn't really set the world on fire.. Italy are the only team that have really turned it on so far.

Very much agree with you.

The difference between European teams seems far smaller than in the World Cup, where we usually
    see quite a few teams there just to make up the numbers.

I've been struck by the efficiency with which the weaker teams have defended and frustrated the
    those we assume to be the stronger ones. We won't really be able to tell much until the knockout
    stage starts, when defending to the death for 90 minutes should be less in evidence.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm

Is it just the few matches that I've caught, or is the officiating really good at the Euro's?

And is the security really bad, or are dick-heads getting better at avoiding it?
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10981
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm

The refereeing is pretty good although I do find it a bit frustrating when they almost ref by numbers - man falls down, man gets free kick - no big decisions because they give so many little ones.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13320

Post by MadAmster on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

To bottle it he'd have to know what it was...... LOL roll

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 1:55 am

It's reported that JORDAN HENDERSON will play instead of Rooney against Slovakia.

Here's what Mr Hodgson had to say about it -
    “It wouldn’t be a problem if I wanted to keep the same side but there are players who would
    like to play and have been knocking on the door to play,” said the manager. “I have the option
    because everyone is anxious to show what they want to do. It’s a question of what we’d like
    to do, rather than what is necessary.”

This looks like replacing an attacker with a more defensive player because he's afraid we'll lose.
    Winning the game and the group would give us a favourable draw in the next round, and build
    momentum. Of course, if Slovakia and Wales win, we'll be out of the tournament anyway.

Trying to avoid losing is all very well, but attack has usually been the best form of defence for
    England - we're not very good when we're on the defensive even for short periods.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22912
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 2:24 am

I hope this is only stupid paper talk .
    How daft could you get...na don't answer that.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 6:40 am

RRC wrote:Of course, if Slovakia and Wales win, we'll be out of the tournament anyway.

With 4 points already we are almost certain of one of the 4 best 3rd place tickets to the last 16 so I don't understand that particular sentence.

A win to top the group will give us an "easier" last 16 game than finishing 2nd or 3rd. You have to play the top sides sooner or later but later is possibly a better option if only to prolong our interest in the tournament.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:59 am

MadAmster wrote:
    RRC wrote:Of course, if Slovakia and Wales win, we'll be out of the tournament anyway.

With  4 points already we are almost certain of one of the 4 best 3rd place tickets to the last 16 so I don't understand that particular sentence.

A win to top the group will give us an "easier" last 16 game than finishing 2nd or 3rd. You have to play the top sides sooner or later but later is possibly a better option if only to prolong our interest in the tournament.

Goes back to that not changing a winning team and killing momentum thing for me.
    Next game not till Saturday I believe if we win the group....plenty of chance to rest up.
    Far better to go far the easier route by winning the group ( which they may well yet do) than try and box clever and cop one.

Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:39 am

New England Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

With  4 points already we are almost certain of one of the 4 best 3rd place tickets to the last 16 so I don't understand that particular sentence.

Goes back to that not changing a winning team and killing momentum thing for me.
    Next game not till Saturday I believe if we win the group....plenty of chance to rest up.
    Far better to go far the easier route by winning the group ( which they may well yet do) than try and box clever and cop one.

Six changes are talked about in the media, very risky not sure England are good enough to do that and Hodgson shouldn't be under estimating Slovakia. One area that could be improved with a change is goalkeeper but that isn't talked about in the media.

Has more 'uncharacteristic mistakes' than actual world class saves every year yet still the media blow smoke up his backside. I always say keepers are defined by the mistakes they make. All keepers make great saves now and again, from Internationals down to Sunday league but if you continually drop clangers you're no good, and this guy is no good.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm

That's right pick a team to break down a bus with Henderson in it.
    How fekin stupid can you get...all those millionaire along with all of those coaches and nobody good enough or loud enough to get the message or issue the message to get the ball wide.
    Awful team selection awful tempo....
    Started off nice and slow and got slower....just what the opposition needed to fulfill their game plan.

Rubbish

derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Post by derbygee on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:49 pm

WTF was Hodgson doing? It isn't a schoolboy squad where you have to give everybody a game FFS
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:05 pm

It's just like watching Derby, play well, dominate the game and fail to take our chances when we're on top leaving us to get more and more desperate as time runs out.

I thought we played well over all but just couldn't find a way through against a ten man defence. It's been the same in all three games, us trying to win and the opposition trying not to lose. All is not lost though, we may well do better in the knock out rounds, when teams have to try and attack against us.

I always said that Hodgson would be our major problem and he's not doimg anything to prove me wrong.
    thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:44 pm

I'm just not sure what you can do when you're trying to play against a bus depot.
    LeedsRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-07-21

Post by LeedsRam on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:48 pm

Manager is an idiot - you don't change a winning team when everything is in the balance. Think he just lost himself a job tonight with that team selction. It's OK if you have already guaranteed top spot but now the momentum is gone and there are major question marks hanging over us. That was the most Derbyesque performance I think I could have imagined - dominate possession but ultimately do nothing with it.

The players that were out there, I don't care what level of football it is but the corners we took today were nothing short of disgraceful. we had about 7 or 8 and only once I think did we put any sort of ball into the box. I know they're busy shopping and stuff but wtf do these people do all week. Pay me 100k a week and I'll put a bloody corner in for you. It drives me mad. At least now I know it isn't just Derby players who don't know what to do with them.

As for the goalkeeper Angus, I agree with you. There was a lengthy article on the BBC website about him and how he is seemingly undroppable with plenty of criticism aimed at him from some top former keepers. You should read it, I think you'd like it. However I could have played in goal tonight Slovakia were that uninterested in trying to score.

Oh well. We aren't going to win it anyway so it doesn't ultimately matter but that game should have been won first before giving players a rest. A rest for God's sake. I know nurses who work 12 hour shifts in A&E with only a 15 minute break, which they have to use for sending bloods and this lot are tired after 2 games of football. Cahill said it was difficult because of the heat - what was it 17 degrees? Sometimes these players should man up and admit that they didn't have a clue how to breakdown a resolute 10 man defence and simply weren't god enough, or classy enough on the night.

We don't half make things difficult for ourselves do we.

Onwards and upwards. I have a sneaky suspicion that Slovakia won't win the tournament either!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:04 am

thatguyfromderby wrote:I'm just not sure what you can do when you're trying to play against a bus depot.

Drive around the outside of it and come in the wrong way.
    Except our best winger who is Walker our right back was on the fekin bench.
    I will never understand how we revert to walking pace.
    Slow slow quick quick slow is just not in our DNA.
    Get the **** into em as fast as possible and keep doing it over and over again .
    Commenters were talking about how many shots they blocked.
    Of course they were blocking them...everything was being played in front of their defenders with shots that averaged about a five minute pull back of the leg each time.

Now I have to listen to more of that horse faced Bale spouting off.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:08 am

Angus wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Six changes are talked about in the media, very risky not sure England are good enough to do that and Hodgson shouldn't be under estimating Slovakia. One area that could be improved with a change is goalkeeper but that isn't talked about in the media.

Has more 'uncharacteristic mistakes' than actual world class saves every year yet still the media blow smoke up his backside. I always say keepers are defined by the mistakes they make. All keepers make great saves now and again, from Internationals down to Sunday league but if you continually drop clangers you're no good, and this guy is no good.

I completely agree.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:41 am

So, the tactical genius that is Woy Hodgson played a weakened team without the nous to solve the bus park conundrum.

The upside of finishing 2nd in the group is that we don't play again until next Monday.

The downside is that we may well be playing the Portuguese powder puff and his mates and, no matter how poor their finishing has been so far, you just know that they won't repeat that against us.....

Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:27 am

MadAmster wrote:So, the tactical genius that is Woy Hodgson played a weakened team without the nous to solve the bus park conundrum.

The upside of finishing 2nd in the group is that we don't play again until next Monday.

The downside is that we may well be playing the Portuguese powder puff and his mates and, no matter how poor their finishing has been so far, you just know that they won't repeat that against us.....

Probably won't be Portugal looking at the group, if it is then exactly what Hodgson deserves after last night. It is getting hotter now in France and Portugal in hot weather England would be second favourites in my opinion, powder puff don't think so the guy is a powerhouse, fantastic footballer one of the very best in the last 30 years.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:42 pm

Angus wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:So, the tactical genius that is Woy Hodgson played a weakened team without the nous to solve the bus park conundrum.

Probably won't be Portugal looking at the group, if it is then exactly what Hodgson deserves after last night. It is getting hotter now in France and Portugal in hot weather England would be second favourites in my opinion, powder puff don't think so the guy is a powerhouse, fantastic footballer one of the very best in the last 30 years.

To a great extent, I agree with you Angus. He is a class player and puts lots of work into getting better. However, the histrionics (although he is not as bad on that score as he used to be) put me off for a start. A shot deflected just wide was sufficient to almost bring him to tears. Plus he is a mard arsed diving cheat of a git (allegedly :) ). Look at him too hard and he will fall over demanding a foul be given. He dives for next to nothing and I will never forgive him for his 93rd minute dive at Old Trafford in THAT season. Cheating, diving git! Top of the League playing the bottom side and 3-1 up with about 40 seconds of 2nd half injury time left. The game was won. What did the lad do? Ran into the box and was faced by two defenders, he turned 90 degrees right, pushed the ball about 4 yards in front of him and dived forwards and when in mid air, hooked his left leg behind that of a defender. The cheat got the penalty he wanted and took it himself, scoring it as well. Why the hell did he feel it necessary to cheat? Is it merely because he can get away with it? Poor model for the kids with the dives, the almost crying ........ Great player but not for me, the histrionics, dives and feigned injuries take all the shine off him.

RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

Mr Hodgson made his own problems with his selections. When the squad was announced, I said
    that the midfield looked weak and so it's turned out, because they aren't creating any clear cut
    chances, even against poor sides like Russia and Slovakia. Our strikers aren't brilliant by
    international standards - at their clubs they're helped a lot by having better foreign players
    around them. Hoping they can feed off the scraps supplied by our midfield is very optimistic.

Our right back, Kyle Walker, is the nearest we have to a winger and Hodgson has had to play
    Rooney in midfield, because we're so lacking in quality and creativity there. I understand that
    he's trying to build a new young team but is the European Cup the place for experiments?

RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm

Today's results may mean that Germany, Italy , Spain, France and England
    will be together in the same half of the pool of games leading to the final.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:39 pm

Great news though, we don't have to beat all of them to win the competition.

Personally I don't think that anybody has looked convincing enough to scare the other teams. Italy played well against Belgium then less so against Sweden, Spain have been Spain, Germany looked good today but less convincing in their other games, and France will probably grow into the tournament. If you ask me I think that we will improve in the knockout phase when the opposition are forced to try and win against us.

Of Course our manager will do his best to make sure that we don't win but if we can get on a roll we have as much chance as any other team at this stage.

Croatia were great tonight though, outplayed Spain in my opinion.
    thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm

We've dominated all 3 fixtures so far against ultra defensive teams. I think winning the group and facing up against a 3rd placed team guaranteed more of the same, with the added risk of a gauling counter-attack winner knocking us out.

We MIGHT actually get to play some proper football in the next game. Couple of our bogey teams in there with Sweden and Portugal though!
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:We've dominated all 3 fixtures so far against ultra defensive teams. I think winning the group and facing up against a 3rd placed team guaranteed more of the same, with the added risk of a gauling counter-attack winner knocking us out.

We MIGHT actually get to play some proper football in the next game. Couple of our bogey teams in there with Sweden and Portugal though!

It's fairly easy to have the lion's share of possession when poor teams sit back and don't challenge
    us in midfield. We've moved the ball around rather slowly and unimaginatively in midfield with almost
    zero penetration, which is why we struggle to score.

Can we can rise to the challenges posed by sides with better quality players and good organization?
    I hope we can but I rather doubt it. There's less of a margin between the teams than I expected but
    I'm afraid we have too little quality and variety in our squad to beat the leading teams.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:03 am