Bitter Mr Clough?

Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2287
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Bitter Mr Clough?

Post by Ram78 on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-burton-albion-boss-nigel-clough-regrets-leaving-brewers-for-rams/story-29413007-detail/story.html

Can understand the regrets now there in the championship, but why say it now after 3 years?  Dunno

Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Bitter Mr Clough?

Post by New England Ram on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:01 pm

Chip off the old block it's a comment his dad would have made.
    Won't be surprised if we lose at least one game to Burton this year although that will just be because it's the Derby way as opposed to Nigel's ability as a manager.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 12:13 am

I don't blame him one bit.

In his position, despite the common belief that he had taken us as far as he could, I still think Rush shafted him.

I hope we win 44 games this season.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13322
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:11 am

Stockport Ram wrote:I don't blame him one bit.

In his position, despite the common belief that he had taken us as far as he could, I still think Rush shafted him.

Draw the other two?

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 10:29 am

MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:I don't blame him one bit.

Draw the other two?

As a Rams fan, I want us to win all our games.

As far as I'm concerned, Burton are no different from any other opponents - no quarter given.

I hope this forum isn't going to turn into a Burton/Clough fan club - we are Rams first and always.
    Clough is long gone from Derby - we and he should let it go.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

Yup with the greatest respect screw Burton...come on you Rams

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:09 pm

Who gives a flying about Burton? The minute this forum becomes a Burton love in is the time we shut it down. Clough is bitter, he thinks far too much of himself, he thinks he is better than what he is, he spent 2 years chasing Conor Sammon, I rest my case!!
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10981
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

He did a brilliant job for us, the perfect man at the right time, he gave us stability when we could have nosedived into oblivion. If he's bitter he possibly has a point because he performed miracles on a shoe string only to be shown the door when money to spend arrived.

I want us to beat them twice next season though
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:19 am

I agree he totally stabilized a wobbly possibly sinking ship.
    But in doing what he did and how he did it it was inevitable that his time would run out..crowds were starting to drift and personally I think the time of the separation was the right time.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:46 am

Oh, it was definitely the right time NER, but nobody could blame Nigel for disagreeing.
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:09 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:He did a brilliant job for us, the perfect man at the right time, he gave us stability when we could have nosedived into oblivion. If he's bitter he possibly has a point because he performed miracles on a shoe string only to be shown the door when money to spend arrived.

I want us to beat them twice next season though

Brilliant is overstating it a bit, we were in a bad way when he came in after the diabolical Jewell and he managed just to avoid going down a level which was good. He had though enough resources and time to make us better than we were under him.

Since he left most of the many players he brought in have struggled to make impact in lower leagues, his recruitment of players was of limited dimension and vision and ultimately that cost him his job at Sheffield as well, despite the odd gem too many of his players were not good enough. The one time Rush got right at Derby was changing manager at this point and getting the board of the time to change direction.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:20 am

Nobody can question his record when it comes to signings. Concievably two and half years on our team could still have 8 of his players in the starting eleven. In Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Russell and Martin he spent about £3.1m on over two thirds or our current team. How much would we have liked our last two or three managers to show that kind of buying ability?

As I said, the time was right for him to go because I'm not sure whether he could have taken us any further forward but when you look at the way money has been p*ssed away since, he deserves great credit for what he did, rather than criticism for his failings.
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Nobody can question his record when it comes to signings. Concievably two and half years on our team could still have 8 of his players in the starting eleven. In Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Russell and Martin he spent about £3.1m on over two thirds or our current team. How much would we have liked our last two or three managers to show that kind of buying ability?

As I said, the time was right for him to go because I'm not sure whether he could have taken us any further forward but when you look at the way money has been p*ssed away since, he deserves great credit for what he did, rather than criticism for his failings.

I can't concieve some of those players and promotion proven surely now Mr Pearson will have to make some changes. Clough had some major plusses in the market but his hit rate wasn't good enough for success, most were fails whose quality was at a lower level and some of the worst Bailey, Sammon have failed even there.

Clough had total control he was the last Manager to have that, agree on the money pissed away since but that was more Rush's fault than the coaches.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:49 am

The fail rate will always be higher when a manager is forced to buy players from a lower level than they are being bought to play in. Because of his budget he was rarely able to bring in players from other Championship clubs let alone higher, whereas since he laft our managers have rarely been forced to buy a player from clubs lower than ourselves let alone one or two rungs lower, yet I would suggest that with only four or five players in the starting eleven two and a half seasons later, the fail rate now is worse despite the multiple millions that have been spent.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 6:42 pm

So many teams have come down from the top division in far less dramatic circumstances than ours and have continued to drop like a stone.
    Clough clearly stabilized us and took away the possibility of that happening to us.
    The problem became him not being able to find forward gear..recognizing we were no longer in danger of sinking and finding somewhere good for us to head.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:46 am