a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

The next lamb to the slaughter?

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

The next lamb to the slaughter?

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:07 pm

Who do you think should take over as the next England manager.

I think that for once this is a job with prospects, I think that there is something to work with and with an astute manager who strikes a balance between tactical nouse and enough freedom to get the best out of our players there is a decent team in there somewhere.

I would first of all try and get Alex Ferguson to do it for two years, but failing that I would go for Poccetino(?) or Bilic. All this talk about Pardew or Southgate leaves me so cold.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4298
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Re: The next lamb to the slaughter?

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:14 pm

Nigel Pearson? With Chris Powell as his assistant?

Just sayin' that's all. Stirring the pot
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22920
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:16 pm

Fergy a decent call Loughie.
    There is some decent talent coming along I believe.
    Question is though..who the fu** actually wants it.

thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4253
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:04 pm

We arguably have a very good squad in the making. Rashford, Alli, Dier, Stones (under the right coach), Butland, and Kane especially.

Lets hope this new "golden" generation can actually achieve something
    Angus

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Who do you think should take over as the next England manager.

I think that for once this is a job with prospects, I think that there is something to work with and with an astute manager who strikes a balance between tactical nouse and enough freedom to get the best out of our players there is a decent team in there somewhere.

I would first of all try and get Alex Ferguson to do it for two years, but failing that I would go for Poccetino(?) or Bilic. All this talk about Pardew or Southgate leaves me so cold.

I would hope the FA would go for Ferguson or Wenger, expect though they would be too astute to go near this job.

England do lack top quality players at present especially defenders, so a pragmatist who can get the team organised and motivated who is strong enough not to favour players no matter how feted they are in the cosy media.

Allardyce perhaps is the man to turn the ship round in the short term, or maybe Hiddink, Southgate looks nailed on though.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13335
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm

With the candidates that are being bandied about, it's official, the FA don't WANT to win trophies!

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

Will be sooooo depressing if Southgate gets it. We need a motivator, someone who can get the players fired up, Venables was the last manager to actually carry the players with him.

fishcake knows what Woy said at half time but it scared the poor soldiers to death!
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:38 pm

If Southgate get's it I doubt Wembley will be even half full for the next home game.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:40 pm

Simeone, despisable as he is, would fire em up. So would Bilic. Klopp too. Where are the English Managers with a touch of the Cloughie, TBE, Venables or even good old 'Arry. Characters. We need one of that type of character to fire up this lot.

Closest I can think of is Big Sam but I would hate to have to watch his lump it football from Ingerlund.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 5:26 pm

Sam knows how to win a game, Klopp a great shout, double whammy of pissing off the scousers too.
    thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:34 pm

I think we need someone young and tactically astute. Most international managers are forward thinking now.. not blood and thunder. The hair dryer approach has had its day and harking back to that would be just another mistake to avoid.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:47 pm

I see the tabloids out in force today slating players from using umbrellas in rain to Rooney's hair , even woy had to do another interview in front of cameras. Felt sorry for him, he didn't want to be there. The british press love to humiliate when the team fail.

You wonder who be daft enough to take the job.

On irish radio station they suggest Benitez would be ideal, not bad shout but unlikely
    dcfcgaz

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2010-08-30

Post by dcfcgaz on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:04 pm

Angus wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Who do you think should take over as the next England manager.

I would hope the FA would go for Ferguson or Wenger, expect though they would be too astute to go near this job.

England do lack top quality players at present especially defenders, so a pragmatist who can get the team organised and motivated who is strong enough not to favour players no matter how feted they are in the cosy media.

Allardyce perhaps is the man to turn the ship round in the short term, or maybe Hiddink, Southgate looks nailed on though.
    Only if the next manager insists on only looking at the overpaid wasters in the prem, if they look a bit further like Martin o Neal they may find some hidden talent!
    Whoever it is should get Beckham in to show them how to kick the ball.
    Shearer in to show them how to bang the goals in.
    Roy Keane to show them how to kick arse and scare the shit out of anyone and everyone,
    and Derren Brown to stop the feckin goal keeper from going to sleep!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22920
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 1:31 am

Here's one that's a little out the box.
    Struggling a little over here now with the USA but what about Klinsman ?
    Started Germany on the road back and with style.
    Better suited to the English style of things rather than what he's dealing with over here.
    I would take him.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 6:31 am

I'd take anybody who promises not to pick Sterling.

thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:37 am

It will probably be Southgate, and he will be the wrong choice. More of the same. Not enough backbone to not get sucked into the media circus whims.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3587
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:19 am

If it's Southgate we may as well give up. He has all the charisma of a tennis racket, no track record as a successful club manager and that penalty miss will always be around to haunt him. I can't see PL players showing him much respect.

Appointing a group of hugely respected recent ex-players seems to work for Germany. Maybe we should try something similar, with a partnership led by Shearer and Ferdinand.

thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:44 am

A lot of talk about Southgate taking over as interim until they can get a big manager in. Apparently the FA really want Wenger.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

Some of the names bandied around on here for the top managerial job in England are an insult to the greats of the past who had worked hard to achieve the pinnacle of management.

Alf Ramsey, Joe Mercer, Don Revie (Like him or hate him), Ron Greenwood, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables all made England the team to beat in any competition with varying degrees of success. All had one thing in common; they had won trophies of all descriptions as manager of their respective clubs. They knew how to win when the going got tough.

What have the nominees this time round got to offer?

Gareth Southgate: Best achievement as manager in league 8th place in premiership (Middlesbrough) and losing finalist U21 European Championships 2015.

Alan Shearer: Manager at Newcastle for a whole 8 games that ended in relegation and now he has put himself forward for the job? I suppose he thinks his punditry on Match of the Day now qualifies him.

Rio Ferdinand: What a joke, zilch management experience. The only thing he can offer is to teach the players how to avoid drug tests.

Gary Neville: Lasted four months as Valencia manager before being sacked, ‘nuff said.

We have only 3 English managers in the Premiership in Alan Pardew, Big Sam and Eddie Howe.

It all amounts to there are no viable English candidates for the England managers job.

Pursuit of greed has been put before our national team by the powers that be in the Premiership, shame on them all.
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10178
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:38 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:A lot of talk about Southgate taking over as interim until they can get a big manager in. Apparently the FA really want Wenger.

That was on the back page of the Daily Fail today saying Southgate for 1 year until Wenger became free
    Angus

Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

SawleyRam wrote:Some of the names bandied around on here for the top managerial job in England are an insult to the greats of the past who had worked hard to achieve the pinnacle of management.

Alf Ramsey, Joe Mercer, Don Revie (Like him or hate him), Ron Greenwood, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables all made England the team to beat in any competition with varying degrees of success. All had one thing in common; they had won trophies of all descriptions as manager of their respective clubs. They knew how to win when the going got tough.

Gareth Southgate: Best achievement as manager in league 8th place in premiership (Middlesbrough) and losing finalist U21 European Championships 2015.

Alan Shearer: Manager at Newcastle for a whole 8 games that ended in relegation and now he has put himself forward for the job? I suppose he thinks his punditry on Match of the Day now qualifies him.

Rio Ferdinand: What a joke, zilch management experience. The only thing he can offer is to teach the players how to avoid drug tests.

Gary Neville: Lasted four months as Valencia manager before being sacked, ‘nuff said.

We have only 3 English managers in the Premiership in Alan Pardew, Big Sam and Eddie Howe.

It all amounts to there are no viable English candidates for the England managers job.

Pursuit of greed has been put before our national team by the powers that be in the Premiership, shame on them all.

England have never been the team to beat in my lifetime, all those managers you list failed and so did football a football great in Capello.

The Premier League greed hasn't helped the pool of players available to England but in times before that we even struggled to qualify for tournaments.

Consistent failing goes deeper than England manager's and the culpability has to lie with the FA who despite their wealth have failed to provide a framework which produces enough quality footballers.
    thatguyfromderby

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 1:26 pm

Angus wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:Some of the names bandied around on here for the top managerial job in England are an insult to the greats of the past who had worked hard to achieve the pinnacle of management.

England have never been the team to beat in my lifetime, all those managers you list failed and so did football a football great in Capello.

The Premier League greed hasn't helped the pool of players available to England but in times before that we even struggled to qualify for tournaments.

Consistent failing goes deeper than England manager's and the culpability has to lie with the FA who despite their wealth have failed to provide a framework which produces enough quality footballers.

Our players have been left behind by the FA. They're not taught tactics, they're taught strength or speed. The talented youngsters we do have with potential (the likes of Alli and Rashford) grew up watching Ronaldo and Messi and have learnt their trade by wanting to emulate them. The FA is failing our youngsters and need to sort it out ASAP. It's starting to look more and more likely that Euro 96 and WC 98 are the best I will personally ever see England do in my lifetime.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:06 pm

If a Brexit ever actually happens (which I seriously doubt), will the FA try to put a blanket limit on non UK players of, say 5 per squad and 3 on the pitch at any one time?

The next question is would Sky let them?

Would such a move enhance England's chances?

Last edited by MadAmster on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:16 pm

Angus wrote:

You said "all those managers you list failed".

Well Angus if perfection is your yardstick I suppose any manager who does not win everything they enter are failures then.

The Alf Ramsey led England team won the World Cup in 1966. Was that a failure?

Bobby Robson got us to the quarter finals for the World Cup in 1986 only to be cheated out of the semi finals by the "Hand Of God" in Mexico. On to Italy in 1990 and defeat in the semi final after the game went to penalties courtesy of misses by Pearce & Waddle.

The rest of your post I cannot fault, but If you are calling Sir Alf & Sir Bobby failures I despair of any reasoned debate with you Angus.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3904
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:50 pm

We need a manager who picks players on form rather than reputation and isn't scared to stand up to the media, is tactically astute and pick a style and formation and stick to it. Who fits the bill I do not know

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 8:03 am