Feeling sorry for referees

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4356
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Feeling sorry for referees

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

I actually feel sorry for referees as there is now an incredible 85 changes to the rules for the forthcoming season, (minor or otherwise) too many to list on here.

I have just read this official document that applies to the laws this season and have now got a headache, good luck if you read it!

http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/FootballDevelopment/Refereeing/02/79/92/44/Laws.of.the.Game.2016.2017_Neutral.pdf
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13542
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Feeling sorry for referees

Post by MadAmster on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 12:45 pm

Hard enough job anyway but, every season, we get this list of changes, which is usually quite a lot. What you don't see is that there are also a myriad of interpretations and guidelines which are also annually changed.

Any player can access the Law changes online but I would estimate 99.9% don't. This causes problems at the start of the season when refs implement the new Laws and the players think..... WTF??

As far as I know, players don't get access to the interpretation changes.......

Why do we bother? I will not be reffing on a regular basis this season as the knees won't permit me to keep up with play. If they are short of refs and out of options I will do a job for the club but will ensure that everybody knows I will not be venturing more than about 15 yards from the halfway line. I was aware of the changes and I don't even own an anorak :)

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 844
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 10:38 pm

MadAmster wrote: Any player can access the Law changes online but I would estimate 99.9% don't. This causes problems at the start of the season when refs implement the new Laws and the players think..... WTF??

They often think WTF when refs implement the old/unchanged rules as well! Whistle

Posted from my Android passion for Derby County.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:07 am

DavesaRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote: Any player can access the Law changes online but I would estimate 99.9% don't. This causes problems at the start of the season when refs implement the new Laws and the players think..... WTF??

They often think WTF when refs implement the old/unchanged rules as well! Whistle

How right you are Dave. Maybe my original post should have read WT Fin F LOL

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    DavesaRam

Post by DavesaRam on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:42 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

Given that swearing at the ref is a red card offence this season, how many "in F's" do players have at their disposal? And will this have any bearing on Fin Fin P?

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5205
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:48 pm

DavesaRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

Given that swearing at the ref is a red card offence this season, how many "in F's" do players have at their disposal? And will this have any bearing on Fin Fin P?

They should have an F-in swear box attached to their shorts.

An F-in swear box? that's an F-in good idea !
    DavesaRam

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm

This makes interesting reading: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209436326957974&set=gm.834225466706361&type=3&theater

Thoughts, anyone?

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 6:39 am

DavesaRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

In one instance where a player delivered a tirade of expletive deletives in my direction which basically boiled down to him saying I was a right old fishcake, I astounded him by agreeing with him. I then said "..... and to prove how big a fishcake I am......" at which point I produced a yellow card, his second. He could wander off and take an early shower. Players, trainers and the few spectators all smiled or laughed. The player in question walked off still chuntering about how big a fishcake I was.

Straight red is, IMO, over the top as footballers seem unable to control their emotions and often let rip without really meaning (all of??) it. Conversely, rugby players seem very able to control their tongues as the questioning of a decision leads to a penalty and a possible 3 points.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 10:25 am