a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

What's left?

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11225
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

What's left?

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 2:51 pm

With Newcastle and Villa seemingly hovering up every available player, you have to wonder who is left to buy.

It used to be that teams coming out of the Premiersh*t were looking to trim their staff and reduce their wage bill for difficult times ahead but the new TV deal has completely blown that apart. Both Villa and Newcastle have spent multiple millions since being relegated and you can be certain that their wage bills at best, will have stayed the same, or more likely increased.

I said many years ago that it was time for the football league to stop feeding off crumbs from the Premiersh*t table and go it alone, effectively leaving the 'Greed is good league' as a floating iceberg that would eventually sink. There would be a few hard years before the realisation became clear, that football is about competition and the ability of anybody to make it to the top. Despite the ultimate example of this when Leicester had a freak season, the rich just keep getting richer and the rest of us are slowly withering away.

The pressure is being put on the Championship to compete with clubs coming down as prices go through the roof. Jonathan Kodja went from Bristol City to Villa for £15m for f*cks sake, and when you have the advantage of untold millions, the need to 'get it right' when you buy players is less important.

This brings me back to my original point, when you have a situation where Newcastle and Villa can sweep up talent without a care, whilst the majority of clubs in the Championship are counting pennies, it cannot be good for the game or the future of many smaller clubs.

Football is f*cked I tell you, it may look like the opposite is true to some, but to real true fans of every club below the elite few, it is a plain as the nose on your face.
    Angus

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Re: What's left?

Post by Angus on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 3:37 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:With Newcastle and Villa seemingly hovering up every available player, you have to wonder who is left to buy.

It used to be that teams coming out of the Premiersh*t were looking to trim their staff and reduce their wage bill for difficult times ahead but the new TV deal has completely blown that apart. Both Villa and Newcastle have spent multiple millions since being relegated and you can be certain that their wage bills at best, will have stayed the same, or more likely increased.

I said many years ago that it was time for the football league to stop feeding off crumbs from the Premiersh*t table and go it alone, effectively leaving the 'Greed is good league' as a floating iceberg that would eventually sink. There would be a few hard years before the realisation became clear, that football is about competition and the ability of anybody to make it to the top. Despite the ultimate example of this when Leicester had a freak season, the rich just keep getting richer and the rest of us are slowly withering away.

The pressure is being put on the Championship to compete with clubs coming down as prices go through the roof. Jonathan Kodja went from Bristol City to Villa for £15m for f*cks sake, and when you have the advantage of untold millions, the need to 'get it right' when you buy players is less important.

This brings me back to my original point, when you have a situation where Newcastle and Villa can sweep up talent without a care, whilst the majority of clubs in the Championship are counting pennies, it cannot be good for the game or the future of many smaller clubs.

Football is f*cked I tell you, it may look like the opposite is true to some, but to real true fans of every club below the elite few, it is a plain as the nose on your face.

Both have sold a load as well, Newcastle especially have got big money in as well actually one of the better run clubs in the country who run at a profit.

Predictable though all this windfall is getting blown on new players at stupid prices mainly nurtured abroad, no thought of investing in the grass roots, that is why England will never be a top team again.

How many clubs produce their own players very few, including Derby.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 4:26 pm

Just have to hope that both Villa and Newcastle can't blend em all together.
    It's happened before to bigger teams with better signings.

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15877
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 4:33 pm

Newcastle seem to be desperate to sell Sissoko.
    They're now saying they'll accept 5 payments of £6m.
    No takers so far.

Have they counted their chickens too soon and overspent?

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 4:34 pm

He'll go to Tottenham before midnight tonight, I'd put money on it
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 5:13 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:He'll go to Tottenham before midnight tonight, I'd put money on it

Erm . . . how much?

Apparently Everton are interested after denying it earlier

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 5:24 pm

Still think it will be Tottenham
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 8:07 pm

You may be right RRC, Sissoko has agreed a deal with Everton and they have agreed a fee with Newcastle
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

Jamie Ward has joined Burton on a season long loan. Good move for them
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:You may be right RRC, Sissoko has agreed a deal with Everton and they have agreed a fee with Newcastle

Nope, you were right - Spurs matched Everton's £30m bid and they've signed him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 6:12 pm