a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

DJ Big Boss Man

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13873
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

DJ Big Boss Man

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 7:15 pm

After half a dozen gigs at 3 different venues I have decided to come out of DJ retirement. I stopped gigging in 1982 or 1983. 90% of my record collection disappeared when I divorced. The remnants have disappeared in the several moves since then.

Discovered a soul scene in the Dam 2 years ago, started buying records again and had my first gig a year ago. Thursday sees me do a showcase gig at a B2B networking event. Hopefully some work either DJing or acting as MC at events will come from that. Another gig planned for the end of the month and if that is a success it will become a monthly residency.

A fellow soulie over here who organised 2 of the gigs I played came up with the name which led to the obvious signature tune and the logo is all my own work. Life begins at 62? Who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvm9L4f1fXg

http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/13/81/51/81/receiv10.jpg

derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Re: DJ Big Boss Man

Post by derbygee on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 7:49 pm

MadAmster wrote:After half a dozen gigs at 3 different venues I have decided to come out of DJ retirement. I stopped gigging in 1982 or 1983. 90% of my record collection disappeared when I divorced. The remnants have disappeared in the several moves since then.

Discovered a soul scene in the Dam 2 years ago, started buying records again and had my first gig a year ago. Thursday sees me do a showcase gig at a B2B networking event. Hopefully some work either DJing or acting as MC at events will come from that. Another gig planned for the end of the month and if that is a success it will become a monthly residency.

A fellow soulie over here who organised 2 of the gigs I played came up with the name which led to the obvious signature tune and the logo is all my own work. Life begins at 62? Who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvm9L4f1fXg

http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/13/81/51/81/receiv10.jpg

When are you doing the Ilson Co=op?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 9:58 pm

derbygee wrote:When are you doing the Ilson Co=op?

Any time they invite me and pay the travel as well as my fee.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 02 May 2017, 4:24 pm

The story continues. Did 2 half hour sets in Amsterdam last Sunday and recorded the first set live via my phone's camera. Converted the file to MP3 and uploaded it to Mixcloud. The opener, Chills and Fever isn't to everybody's taste but, with any luck, the rest will be.

If anybody would like to hear it you can listen via https://www.mixcloud.com/howard-boss/my-1st-set-at-akhnaton-amsterdam-30042017/ ...... not sure if you have to register to listen, if you do the only "spam" is the newsletter and you can unsubscribe to that.

I didn't record the 2nd set, which was more of a "youth club" soul, the sort of tunes that got played everywhere, every week in the late 60s and early and mid 70s. I will try to reconstruct that set in the week, record it and post that one as well.

Enjoy.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 07 Jul 2017, 3:46 pm

The next step.....

Last night I was the studio guest on the weekly FingerPoppin' Soul show. Broadcast live on FB, Amsterdam area both on cable and via the ether, also live worldwide via Salto. Hans and Harry have been doing the show for almost 25 years and I was guest #1235.

Fancy a listen.... it's a 2 hour show. I get introduced at around 59 minutes in. Available via https://www.mixcloud.com/fingerpoppinsoulsoulradiofroma/fingerpoppin-soul-1235-06-07-2017-ft-howard-boss/
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:36 am

The story continues. November 2nd and 3rd I will be playing on a Soul Cruise on a DFDS boat from Ijmuiden to Newcastle and back. The cruise then does a 3rd leg back to Newcastle. I am on the first two legs of the cruise.

On the 1st leg the entertainment consists of a band, Wicked Jazz Sounds, who play Jazz, funk, hip-hop and soul and yours truly playing 2 hours of Northern Soul.

The return leg sees one of the Wicked Jazz band doing a funk and hip-hop DJ set, a Gospel choir, Nige Brown (a UK Northern Soul DJ), Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and me. On this leg I will be doing mainly Motown and the old "youth club" favourites from the 60s and early 70s.

The 3rd leg is similar to the 2nd without Wicked jazz and me.

If anybody fancies legs 2 and 3 for a weekend away, check the detail out on the DFDS website, dfdsseaways.co.uk

When you land in Ijmuiden there will be buses to take you to the city of your choice, Amsterdam or Rotterdam and, of course, back in time for the return to Newcastle

Early bird tickets are, I believe £69. The price includes the boat, a cabin on board, the entertainment and the coach to Rotterdam/Amsterdam and back. Food and drink is extra.

I am also doing a UK gig in December. Friday December 1st I will be DJing at the Engineers in Henlow, Bedfordshire from 20:00 to 01:00. On the Saturday I will be "back home" for the Derby v Burton game and then back for an evening out in Henlow. If Sky move the game to the Friday then the gig will be on the Saturday.

Shameless advertising, I realise, but it would be great to see you, either on the boat or in Henlow..... or both.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 3:09 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 12:41 am