When is a manager not a manager?

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4359
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

When is a manager not a manager?

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm

In his post-match interview, new England boss Sam Allardyce said it was "not for me to say" where Rooney should play and said the Manchester United forward could play "wherever he wanted".

WTF! What did Big Sam mean by that remark? Is the team run by a committee or a manager? If that remark is true then we know why other managers have failed.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/wayne-rooney-should-have-retired-after-euro-2016-says-ex-derby-goalkeeper/story-29688282-detail/story.html?#D47fJZXbxEMAib5Y.99
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3634
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Re: When is a manager not a manager?

Post by bramhallram on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 2:27 pm

SawleyRam wrote:In his post-match interview, new England boss Sam Allardyce said it was "not for me to say" where Rooney should play and said the Manchester United forward could play "wherever he wanted".

WTF! What did Big Sam mean by that remark? Is the team run by a committee or a manager? If that remark is true then we know why other managers have failed.

It seems that when it comes to picking an England team Allardyce is just as star struck as some of his  predecessors, notably Eriksson with Beckham. His remarks about who should decide where Rooney plays beggar belief.

As he demonstrated against Slovakia, Rooney is NOT a midfielder and shouldn't be playing there. If in doubt ask Jose Mourinho.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13549
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 3:15 pm

Not altogether sure here that the words Sam used were the right ones, in the right order, to convey his actual meaning. If he meant that Rooney has a free role between MF and the strikers then I can just about see the why and the wherefore.

If he means anything else than that then sack him NOW!!!

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    old ewe

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 597
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

SHilts is right. There is a right time to go. He was NO captain when the team fell apart against Iceland. Because of that he should not be captain now.
    It's difficult but it needs to be done. And the team should NOT be determined by the need to fit him in and accommodate his aging .
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2005
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:56 pm

But he sells the most shirts for the FA

Every manager picks players on global reputation rather than form or fitting into a team

That is why I do not give a flying eff about Eng-er-land anymore - over rated over paid shite
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3926
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 10:09 pm

Shilton was right in the media today that Rooney should have retired after the euros. Or better still told by the England manager that he is not good enough to get picked anymore. Same old story with Emgland managers pick a team on reputation not form or picking a balanced side
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5207
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 7:02 am

ShardlowSheep wrote:Shilton was right in the media today that Rooney should have retired after the euros. Or better still told by the England manager that he is not good enough to get picked anymore. Same old story with Emgland managers pick a team on reputation not form or picking a balanced side

He's never quite been the same in an England shirt since he limped off V Portugal (IIRC?) in Euro 2004.

2004? Good God, that's nearly 13 years ago. Whilst his international goalscoring record is laudable, his ratio is nowhere near Lineker's or Greaves' - ironically since '04 he has been lucky with injuries and the lack of any real consistent alternative has enabled him to rack up appearances.

A case of what might have been, for me. He really could have been a world great if he had looked after his body in the early years like he clearly does now.
    derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Post by derbygee on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 12:00 pm

Shilts is 100% right but his timing stinks. If anybody but the guy who's record Rooney is closing in on had said it there would have been a huge shit storm in the press but I'm afraid because it is Shilton it will just fizzle out as a bad case of sour grapes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 12:11 am