Falling out of love with football

derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Falling out of love with football

Post by derbygee on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:20 pm

I reckon I am falling out of love with football totally!

Every where you look the game is changing and not for the better. Despite the fluke last year nobody outside the top half a dozen clubs are going to win anything other than perhaps a flukey FA cup or league cup once a flood.

The top teams stockpile the best players so half the time the best players don't even get a kick depriving fans all over the chance to watch them. 3 and eve 4 subs a game from 7 or 8 on the bench yet the poor little over tired lambs need a winter break. (which of course the top clubs will use to increase their global footprint by playing friendlies In far off whogivesafukistan)

A million live games a week on TV, until an International break when everything suddenly stops and Ilkeston reserves get to play on Sky against Heanor town.

Our own traditional trophies have been sacrificed in the quest for the Premier league dollar, no replays, manipulated draws so the big boys can play in overblown money making leagues in the Champions league and Europa cup. The draws for which competitions are manipulated to make sure as many of the really big boys play as long as possible to maximise the revenue stream.

All this before you get down to the cheating, play acting pampered under performing disloyal twats who are actually playing the game. It is a game played by mardy arsed wimps who dive, cry and whine at the referee all game instead of just getting on with it.

I'll leave agents, referees, the FA chairmen and ripoff prices till my blood pressure returns to normal.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13542
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Falling out of love with football

Post by MadAmster on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 2:44 pm

Don't know who redded this post from DG but they are wrong. I see and hear from quite a few who have the same idea. Li150 concluded the same a year ago, NER has expressed disgruntledness and there are more out there.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23022
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 2:55 pm

Totally agree with DG .
    Bottom line if DCFC was not in my blood and part of me.
    I would have moved on from taking more than just a passing interest in football a long time ago.
    It's like the crossroads motel..a fictitious place full of actors and overnight guests who turn up for a few weeks then disappear believing in their own publicity that they created not by what they do on the pitch but by what they are wearing on Tuesday or by where they shop for biscuits.

Media has totally butchered football...

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11111
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

I absolutely agree but the modern football fan knows no different. My son is 13 and just doesn't understand my frustrations with modern football because to him, it is just normal. He knows every footballer on the planet because he plays FIFA on his x-box, and he loves all of the over hyped b*llocks that comes with wall to wall coverage these days.

One thing that really winds me up, and sums up modern football for me is players having christian names on the back of their shirts, the way that they miss the point of this being for the fans to recognise them, not for it to be another preening accessory for them. I couldn't believe it when Deli Ali had Deli on his shirt in the recent international game.

Personally I fuc*in hate footballers.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4300
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 4:49 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I absolutely agree but the modern football fan knows no different. My son is 13 and just doesn't understand my frustrations with modern football because to him, it is just normal. He knows every footballer on the planet because he plays FIFA on his x-box, and he loves all of the over hyped b*llocks that comes with wall to wall coverage these days.

One thing that really winds me up, and sums up modern football for me is players having christian names on the back of their shirts, the way that they miss the point of this being for the fans to recognise them, not for it to be another preening accessory for them. I couldn't believe it when Deli Ali had Deli on his shirt in the recent international game.

Personally I fuc*in hate footballers.

To Alli's credit, he changed the name on his shirt due to personal issues with his estranged father. Seems he wants to distance himself from his surname somewhat.

As for the OP.. I grew up in the Premier League era.. at 31 years old, it's pretty much all I know (I don't really remember much of the old division 1, etc). But I definitely understand the frustration. The imbalance in the sport is becoming so vast that we're essentially cheering for a chance of our team becoming an established 10th-16th team in the top tier.

That being said, watching some of the PL goals of the weekend reminds me just why I love this game. When it's good.. it's very good.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 5:22 pm

I'm not buying that Deli Ali stuff, does his mum not have a maiden name?

If it's true I guess he'll officially change his surname soon and turn up with a new version of his England shirt? Oh no, hang on, I guess that might affect his naming rights and intellectual property rights which I'm sure suppliments his derisory income to a level that allows him to continue as a proffesional footballer.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5205
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:10 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I'm not buying that Deli Ali stuff, does his mum not have a maiden name?

If it's true I guess he'll officially change his surname soon and turn up with a new version of his England shirt? Oh no, hang on, I guess that might affect his naming rights and intellectual property rights which I'm sure suppliments his derisory income to a level that allows him to continue as a proffesional footballer.

Perhaps he just likes unusual food?
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:34 pm

You joke but it wouldn't be a total surprise to hear that he picked up half a mlion from the local deli for doi,g it.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4242
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 8:04 pm

DG

I think a great deal of fans go through this 7 yr itch with football.

It is awful because all you can see are the negatives, there are also many positives.
    EG
    My son and I  before he went off to NZ went religiously, and now he has gone the bond that created has lived on and we still Skype to have a good moan after the game. My grandson is now a proud wearer of the black and white also. I look forward to his views when he can join in as well.

Footballers I agree sometimes test the patience, but even when I had my wilderness days I still came back because it is part of who I am.

I liken it to being a junkie, football is my drug of choice and I cannot do with out it.
    I remember Loughie and I saying on here that we cant just walk past a game, if I am walking the dog on the park.
    I am rapt the moment I see the ball.

The enforced summer break just leaves me wanting more and once the season is under way, I love to read all the comments on here and elsewhere regarding DCFC and football in general.

I hope you get through DG and try focus on the positive aspects as well its not all doom and gloom

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    derbygee

Post by derbygee on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:28 pm

rjrules71 wrote:DG

It is awful because all you can see are the negatives, there are also many positives.
    EG
    My son and I  before he went off to NZ went religiously, and now he has gone the bond that created has lived on and we still Skype to have a good moan after the game. My grandson is now a proud wearer of the black and white also. I look forward to his views when he can join in as well.

Footballers I agree sometimes test the patience, but even when I had my wilderness days I still came back because it is part of who I am.

I liken it to being a junkie, football is my drug of choice and I cannot do with out it.
    I remember Loughie and I saying on here that we cant just walk past a game, if I am walking the dog on the park.

The enforced summer break just leaves me wanting more and once the season is under way, I love to read all the comments on here and elsewhere regarding DCFC and football in general.

I hope you get through DG and try focus on the positive aspects as well its not all doom and gloom

I think I've gone beyond that. I walk past a game on the park and see pub footballers with beer bellies doing swan dives. I've stopped watching my grandkids even.

I used to love the game but even the kids cheat now as a routine part of playing.

I've always watched the Rams right from being 4 year old in 1959 but I doubt unless things change I'll ever go again.

It just ain't football any more.

It is in my DNA to care, and I'll probably watch the TV games, read all the reports and keep up to date more out habit that anything I think. As I said earlier if we hired Pulis I could stop caring about my team.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:22 am

derbygee wrote:
    rjrules71 wrote:DG

EG

I think I've gone beyond that. I walk past a game on the park and see pub footballers with beer bellies doing swan dives. I've stopped watching my grandkids even.

I used to love the game but even the kids cheat now as a routine part of playing.

I've always watched the Rams right from being 4 year old in 1959 but I doubt unless things change I'll ever go again.

It just ain't football any more.

It is in my DNA to care, and I'll probably watch the TV games, read all the reports and keep up to date more out habit that anything I think. As I said earlier if we hired Pulis I could stop caring about my team.

You said it DG. You don't just marry your football team - you can't get a divorce and move on. Its in your blood.

There's a really good article on Ramzone this week, and if only I knew how to put a link up, I would. Basically, it said that too many in the black and white simply didn't show that they cared on Saturday - and if they didn't, why should we?

The answer is because the club will be there long after the Inces, Shckells, Johnsons and Blackmans have gone, and long after we've gone too. We will be back, and when we are, the mind numbingly depressing sight of watching Roy Greenwood, Mick Brolly, Con Blastis et al will all be part of the joy.

Fall out of love with football DG, but never fall out of love with Derby County.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:26 am

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/news/43791/what-i.saw-for-the-first-time-i-didnt-really-care-anymore
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:46 am

MadAmster wrote:Don't know who redded this post from DG but they are wrong. I see and hear from quite a few who have the same idea. Li150 concluded the same a year ago, NER has expressed disgruntledness and there are more out there.

It was me that redded it, and I'm not wrong, I have a different opinion. The fact you and your mates agree on something doesn't make you all right and me wrong, it just means we disagree. Unless of course your opinion is more valuable than mine and you're always right.

I redded it as an immediate emotional reaction to the negativity in the post. I recognise all the changes dg lists, and some of them are for the worse, but we get better quality football, especially in the premier league, than we ever used to. I think we're kidding ourselves if we think footballers haven't always tried to gain advantage illicitly. I think probably a bit of diving is less bad than the leg breaking tackles we used to see. I don't think there's cause to be so negative and depressive.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:09 am

Not sure about better quality football to be honest. Is watching Aguero, Costa or Ibrahimovich actually better than watching, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh, Charlie George or Franny Lee?

Football is faster and stronger but I disagree that it's better.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:51 am

whestonram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Don't know who redded this post from DG but they are wrong. I see and hear from quite a few who have the same idea. Li150 concluded the same a year ago, NER has expressed disgruntledness and there are more out there.

It was me that redded it, and I'm not wrong, I have a different opinion. The fact you and your mates agree on something doesn't make you all right and me wrong, it just means we disagree. Unless of course your opinion is more valuable than mine and you're always right.

I redded it as an immediate emotional reaction to the negativity in the post. I recognise all the changes dg lists, and some of them are for the worse, but we get better quality football, especially in the premier league, than we ever used to. I think we're kidding ourselves if we think footballers haven't always tried to gain advantage illicitly. I think probably a bit of diving is less bad than the leg breaking tackles we used to see. I don't think there's cause to be so negative and depressive.

Emotions. Don't you just love them? My reaction was also an emotional one. Giving a thumbs down to someone pouring their heart out hit me as just the wrong thing to do, hence my reaction.

The problem with MBs is that, unless you put an emoticon or an IMO or similar then the intended meaning can be missed. In this case a thumbs down was given without further explanation and that seemed wrong to me. I got the impression that someone was hiding their disagreement in anonymity without letting the rest of us know why they disagreed. That goes against my sense of fair play.

Seems we could both have been clearer in our meaning. Sorry if I caused offence.

BTW - my opinion is more valuable than yours and I am always right. Digging Embarassed Wink (shame the diving behind the sofa emoticon isn't available any more)

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6223

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:00 am

MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:

Emotions. Don't you just love them? My reaction was also an emotional one. Giving a thumbs down to someone pouring their heart out hit me as just the wrong thing to do, hence my reaction.

The problem with MBs is that, unless you put an emoticon or an IMO or similar then the intended meaning can be missed. In this case a thumbs down was given without further explanation and that seemed wrong to me. I got the impression that someone was hiding their disagreement in anonymity without letting the rest of us know why they disagreed. That goes against my sense of fair play.

Seems we could both have been clearer in our meaning. Sorry if I caused offence.

BTW - my opinion is more valuable than yours and I am always right. Digging   Embarassed   Wink  (shame the diving behind the sofa emoticon isn't available any more)

When did you have the gender reassignment surgery MA?
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4355
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

I feel for derbygee but do not agree with him about falling out of love with football.

I along with one or two others have been supporting the Rams for 60 years starting in the '50's when the Rams were in the 3rd division north. Area divided leagues! That changed as football became more professional.

The Clough story started in the late '60's, heady times indeed, but later marred by the violence of the football mobs which left you fearing for your own safety. That changed as football cooperated with police.

Fans were being caged in like animals, depressing indeed! That changed as football incorporated improved Health & Safety.

Throughout it all Derby County reached the heights of European football and then plunged to the depths of the 3rd division. All those changes!

Since then we've had fraudsters take our club to the brink of oblivion (twice) and we've had that season.

I'm dammed sure I'm not going to let a handful of under performing prima donnas spoil my helter skelter ride!
    whestonram

Post by whestonram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:54 am

MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:

BTW - my opinion is more valuable than yours and I am always right. Digging   Embarassed   Wink  (shame the diving behind the sofa emoticon isn't available any more)

Yes, that's fair enough, I should have explained myself, and probably shouldn't react immediately if something prompts a strong reaction
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 10:07 am

whestonram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:

Yes, that's fair enough, I should have explained myself, and probably shouldn't react immediately if something prompts a strong reaction

You and me both Wheston Thumbs up

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23022
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:08 am

MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:

Do we get more quality football though Wheston.
    My side of the argument would be no.
    Supposedly today's game is faster the players are fitter and stronger.
    But for me it's so slow and tedious.
    Yes I'm a dinosaur I recognize that but I preferred my football when it was all about getting the ball up to your tricky winger who would roast the fullback and provide quality service at speed for a big marauding center forward to get on the end of.
    That usually happened right after your team had won the ball back and not 35 cool calm poncy passes across the back four later.
    All this probing around looking for a opening with possession for possessions sake sends me to sleep.
    Like I said I'm a dinosaur but I will always miss the muddy pitches and raw boned football that I grew up with.
    They say you need to change with the times and whilst my tv is way better than our first colour tv way back when...football for me isn't.
    It's like the cars they make today...full of plastic and no character.
    But as you said that's just my opinion and that's right for me but maybe not others .

derbygee

Post by derbygee on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:22 am

New England Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:

Yes I'm a dinosaur I recognize that but I preferred my football when it was all about getting the ball up to your tricky winger who would roast the fullback and provide quality service at speed for a big marauding center forward to get on the end of.
    That usually happened right after your team had won the ball back and not 35 cool calm poncy passes across the back four later.
    All this probing around looking for a opening with possession for possessions sake sends me to sleep.
    Like I said I'm a dinosaur but I will always miss the muddy pitches and raw boned football that I grew up with.
    They say you need to change with the times and whilst my tv is way better than our first colour tv way back when...football for me isn't.
    But as you said that's just my opinion and that's right for me but maybe not others .

Well said NER

It used to be about the football not any more though.
    Manchester Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 307
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by Manchester Ram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:25 pm

Valid arguments and the negative ones exacerbated no doubt by the lack lustre start to the season. Please don't see this as a suggestion of being fare weather but results of the team will certainly magnify negative feelings in general.

derbygee

Post by derbygee on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:51 pm

SawleyRam wrote:I feel for derbygee but do not agree with him about falling out of love with football.

I along with one or two others have been supporting the Rams for 60 years starting in the '50's when the Rams were in the 3rd division north. Area divided leagues! That changed as football became more professional.

The Clough story started in the late '60's, heady times indeed, but later marred by the violence of the football mobs which left you fearing for your own safety. That changed as football cooperated with police.

Fans were being caged in like animals, depressing indeed! That changed as football incorporated improved Health & Safety.

Throughout it all Derby County reached the heights of European football and then plunged to the depths of the 3rd division. All those changes!

Since then we've had fraudsters take our club to the brink of oblivion (twice) and we've had that season.

I'm dammed sure I'm not going to let a handful of under performing prima donnas spoil my helter skelter ride!

I used to love the atmosphere in the "bad old good old days" of course the BBG helped but money hadn't ruined the game then. All clubs had a couple of stars in the teams, players weren't content to sit on the bench week in week out never playing. Grounds were full of working class folk enjoying a bit of rampant tribalism, now it is all middle class families and polite clapping, where has the edge gone? We are left with a system that cant be unbroken now. Half a dozen clubs own the quality and the rest of us make do with the dross and pay heavily to see it.

There isn't one player in our current squad who can get the entire ground out of it's seat on a regular basis, sad indictment on our times.

It is true the team you support is definitely a drug, impossible to kick even during THAT season. I don't particularly like watching the game any more even the so called best teams bore me but it is the way money has corrupted the game and stole the clubs from the fans which I really hate.

The passion has gone, Man Utd and city players referring to the Manc Derby as just 3 points sums it up.

Come on Mel sign Pulis as boss so I can kick my Derby habit.

purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 3:54 pm

It's hardly a new phenomenon. Most of the male population of Derby have had a season ticket at some time in their life, most stop going for a period, or forever for loads of reasons.

Yea it's all about the money, most players are hateful twats and it's tough to be a Ram, we do appear cursed, but whatcha gonna do
    whestonram

Post by whestonram on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 5:26 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    whestonram wrote:

We do get better football, from some of the teams. The way Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City play - even Leicester last season, is better, I think, than what we got in the 70s, 80, 90s. As was much of what we got from Derby for a whle under McLaren, But I agree if teams try to play "good" football without pace its just boring

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:19 am