Educational Help

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10178
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Educational Help

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Sun 18 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm

My daughter has just started in year 10 so is starting the hard work towards her GCSE's

Over the summer the school has bought n a new Maths teacher who is actually going to be my daughters teacher. This teacher comes with a great record of pupil success at previous schools

Currently my daughter is being predicted a high grade pass in maths.

This new teacher brings with them some new techniques and ways of teaching that my daughter thinks she may struggle to get used to

My question is should I ask the school to move my daughter to another teacher who she knows or maybe insist the new teacher uses the old methods

What are your thoughts?
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Re: Educational Help

Post by mcsilks on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 1:20 am

I would tell you daughter to adapt.

At the end of the day, 2 + 2 = 4 in whatever technique or method you choose to go about teaching that.

If this teacher has such a good record with student grades, surely your daughter can benefit by adapting.

If I were Head Teacher at the school (and I am a Head teacher), I wouldn't appreciate parents asking me to cater for their child and move their classes simply because we had brought in a replacement teacher. They would get a very firm 'no'.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13333
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 6:35 am

I'm with mcsilks on this. The teacher is highly recommended so is good at what he does. Whatever the Maths is, from simple arithmetic to applied Mathematics, successful teachers are successful because of HOW they teach regardless of WHAT they teach.

You seem to be worried about the method. From your post it seems that fear of the unknown is the root of your worries. You shouldn't worry. If your daughter's marks and expectations go down because she can't handle either the method and/or the teacher, then by all means approach the teacher and ask for advice. If you are still not happy, approach the Head and ask him/her to look at the situation and come up with a solution. A far better idea than going in with demands.

I hope this advice from a former teacher helps.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 7:51 am

Is this thread a Nigel Pearson allegory?
    Angus

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 2155
    Registration date : 2012-07-17

Post by Angus on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 8:03 am

Barnstaple Ram wrote:My daughter has just started in year 10 so is starting the hard work towards her GCSE's

Over the summer the school has bought n a new Maths teacher who is actually going to be my daughters teacher. This teacher comes with a great record of pupil success at previous schools

Currently my daughter is being predicted a high grade pass in maths.

This new teacher brings with them some new techniques and ways of teaching that my daughter thinks she may struggle to get used to

My question is should I ask the school to move my daughter to another teacher who she knows or maybe insist the new teacher uses the old methods

What are your thoughts?

With Maths Barney the key is your daughter gaining all the skills at GCSE to take onto A Level, any holes in her game will be ruthlessly exposed at A Level standard, any teacher with a good track record should be welcomed in the tough subjects as Maths is especially.

My son was always strong at Maths got an A at GCSE Level but didn't even get a grade at AS Level, simply because there were areas of understanding missing at GCSE Level, which he never got to grips with, when they were fully challenged at AS Level.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4221
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 8:09 am

Barney

I think the needs of the pupil are first and last and everything.

I was a "victim" of this back in the day, so I have very strong views. I was always top of the class at secondary school in Maths 90%+ on every exam.
    I qualified for Grammar school and they taught NEW maths which instantly reduced me to virtually bottom throughout highest mark ever was 14%

Nobody cared to find out what had caused this it was just accepted I was a duffer.
    I remember thinking well if no one else is bothered what difference will it make, it undermined my whole attitude at school because a subject I was totally confident with, and I was hoping to impress with, suddenly was the one other kids were laughing at me for.
    The frustration grew, as my parents could not help as we were not rich enough for private tuition, and I was so demoralised for a period that I became angry and sullen, my grades suffered and I ended up being a piss poor student.

I would recommend giving it a try with your lass for an agreed period, it is usually too demoralising to think of no end in sight if it goes wrong.
    Also even though it will probably be quite onerous, try to give all the support and praise you can.

Involve everyone school/ teachers etc from the start work to an agreed plan and make the girl feel she has somewhere to go if things are not going well.

Good luck hope all turns out well

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm

Spot on Wheston it is!!

Actually posted this to see if peoples opinions on things chnaged when it was real life not football

The main views here appear to be that the pupil should learn to adapt, however at the start of the season many on here said that Pearson (the teacher in my scenario) should change his ways to suit what he has in front of him

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 12:29 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:Spot on Wheston it is!!

Actually posted this to see if peoples opinions on things chnaged when it was real life not football

The main views here appear to be that the pupil should learn to adapt, however at the start of the season many on here said that Pearson (the teacher in my scenario) should change his ways to suit what he has in front of him

So you really are Paul Ince then Barney!

Anyone who has watched over the last couple of seasons should have no difficulty in believing that Tom Ince is, in fact, a fourteen year old schoolgirl.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 1:42 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:Spot on Wheston it is!!

Actually posted this to see if peoples opinions on things changed when it was real life not football

Crafty owd git Barney. I still believe that, prior to the window banging shut, it should have been 1-4-3-3 simply to accommodate the players and their particular skill sets. The last day business gave us half a chance of getting away with 1-4-4-whatever. Things have improved but only thanks to those two players. Given the same squad, as this is a results based business, I would still go for 1-4-3-3 until we have a 1442 squad. NP now has time to build on what he has started, however, if we lose Vydra and Anya to injury then we will be back to the level of performance seen in the first 5 league games...... and that dunt add up.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 4:22 pm

Sorry about that Ammy and I respect your opinion and the fact that this hasn't changed from what you said at the time

However I think it is interesting though that we all view football as different to other walks of life.

In any business a new boss comes in with the news ideas and staff have to get on with it and get used to it

Footballers and fans can and do hide behind the "Not comfortable in a different formation" excuse

In local football players even have to get used to completely different positions and just have to get on with it (my lad used to play up front until one day we had only 11 players and only 3 of our defenders. He played at the back that day , did a great job and from then on played as a DM for the last couple of seaosns he played)
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:44 am

Football is a strange beast Barney. It is, first and foremost, a results based business. However, it is also part of the entertainment business. Sooner or later, the one without the other will turn the punters off. I was one of those last season saying that Clement was providing the results but not the entertainment and that gates would, eventually, suffer if some of the entertainment didn't return.

I said pre season that NP would stick to 1-4-4-whatever and that it would see the exit of Coldplay as a result. Not something I wanted but I knew NP would do what NP does. I still say he should have played a system that the players we have can play. We now have Anya and Vydra in and, despite the results, we are improving and if we keep on doing that, the results will come. My greatest fear is that we lose those two to injury and we are back to 1-4-3-3 players and we will see a return to the poor performances of the opening 5 games.

Limp up to midtable by Christmas, some more ins and outs and then watch us roll.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 7:56 am