I think this is absolutely fantastic.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37402716
    purpleram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Re: The Brownlee Brothers

Post by purpleram on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 9:03 pm

They are both amazing athletes, and if this is anything to go by great guys too
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4047
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm

This was amazing sportsmanship and brotherly love, what a pair of fantastic athletes showing what sport should be all about
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5697
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 11:56 pm

To even take part in a triathlon is beyond my comprehension, and that's from someone who ran his first marathon on his sixteenth birthday (The Birmingham Interplas Marathon, Sept 20th, 1981).

No one would have guessed it now, as my similarity to the michelin man is rather uncanny.

Alistair Brownlee is right though - there are times when everything is still working perfectly well upstairs, but it feels like the rest of your body is in a bowl of soup.

Just have a look at Etienne Gailly entering Wembley stadium in the 1948 London Olympic Marathon. (incidentally, Delfo Cabrera went behind the marshalls as he entered the stadium, so should have been disqualified, and the welshman Tom Peters should have been given the gold). Or Jim Peters in the 1954 Commonwealth Games. Or the flickered film of Dorando Pietri in the 1908 London Olympic Marathon.

When the body gives way, death is very near.  In the modern sporting arena, Jonny would have received the highest quality medical care, and recovered over a few days. Some of his predecessors were very lucky.

We have to remember that these athletes are pushing their bodies to the very limit.

Alistair said that he would have stopped for anyone, had he seen that level of distress - and I completely believe him, because he has been there.

All professional footballers should take a look at these two fine young men and reassess their own importance.

They are truly inspirational.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14763
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:27 am

Spot on Stockers. I too have done endurance events in the past. These include half and full marathons, Olympic and quarter triathlons as well as rowing triathlons (with rowing instead of the swimming), one of which I was the fastest veteran, and the Lincoln to Boston rowing marathon of 31 miles. I have been close to the situation Jonny was in on two occasions. Both were after sculling the 31 mile Boston (Lincs) marathon. The first time I crossed the line and then had to be lifted out of the boat as I didn't have the strength to do it myself. A year later I managed to get out of the boat under my own steam, shower, dress..... and then 10 minutes into the journey back home in a coach, I suddenly felt very light in the head and started to hyperventilate. 5 minutes later I had recovered but it was a frightening 5 minutes. Jonny had obviously gone deeper into his reserves than I had so I can only guess how he felt.

Respect to both for how they approach the sport, the modest way they handle their successes and how they interact with their opponents. As Stockers wrote, footballers take note.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:15 pm