COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Cricket, lovely cricket

    Share
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 4135
    Age : 68
    Location : Bramhall

    Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by bramhallram on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:03 am

    Great recovery by England in the cricket. Just watched Bangladesh go from 171-1 to 220 all out. Good bowling and fielding.

    Something to cheer us up in these dark days.

    .
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14540
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16285
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by MadAmster on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

    Best not watch us bat then Bram ;)
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16124
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20128

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by RRC on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:30 pm

    MadAmster wrote:Best not watch us bat then Bram ;)

    Indeed.

    Like most teams, Bangladesh have batting collapses at the end of the innings, whereas
    England (trying to be inventive for a change?) keep starting with a batting collapse.

    Btw has Cooke now mastered more ways of getting out than scoring strokes?
    I see Duckett copied Cooke's delicate flick outside leg stump to the keeper to get out.

    I'm not convinced that these tactics are working to our advantage.



    avatar
    Barnstaple Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Points : 12098
    Age : 50
    Location : In front of my computer

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:34 pm

    Not seen any of the action but no matter what situation we find ourselves in

    Ballance is not the answer!!!
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 4135
    Age : 68
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by bramhallram on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 2:16 pm

    MadAmster wrote:Best not watch us bat then Bram ;)

    I'm used to it now, Mad. I take it as a given that Cook will flatter to deceive and at least two others from the 'top order' will follow his example.

    It's all part of a cunning plan to set the scene for Stokes, Ali and Bairstow to pull off their customary rescue act.

    .

    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14540
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16285
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by MadAmster on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 4:52 pm

    50-3 at close? Not what you want really. A 400 1st innings total is what we needed, bowl them out for 200 again and then knock off the few runs necessary to win the test.

    It aint going to happen this test.
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 4135
    Age : 68
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by bramhallram on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 11:03 am


    Draw the curtains. Muffle the church bells. That was an unbelievable collapse, even by England's standards. Very, very embarrassing.

    Chasing 273 we went from 100 for 0 to 164 all out. We all know how bad we are against spinners, but that was just ridiculous.

    .
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5646
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 6242
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 11:13 am

    bramhallram wrote:
    Draw the curtains. Muffle the church bells. That was an unbelievable collapse, even by England's standards. Very, very embarrassing.

    Chasing 273 we went from 100 for 0 to 164 all out. We all know how bad we are against spinners, but that was just ridiculous.

    .

    They'll be no muffling going on in my house BR, that I CAN tell you..... Whistle
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5646
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 6242
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:22 am

    Well, what a surprise.

    We batted well, bowled well and apart from a couple of spills, fielded well.

    You know we have a real prospect when Sir Geoffrey Boycott is praising the young 19 year old Lancastrian.


    One swallow and all that - but we could hardly have done more.



    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by purpleram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm

    Almost a perfect test pitch, if it would have deteriorated half a day earlier.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16124
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20128

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by RRC on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 3:18 pm

    purpleram wrote:Almost a perfect test pitch, if it would have deteriorated half a day earlier.

    To give England a big advantage, because they couldn't win without it?

    Imho Captain Cautious has missed quite a few wins by making far too sure
    that England can't lose, setting the opposition silly targets, with the result
    that they just bat out the overs.

    If he doesn't get runs quickly enough (and he personally rarely does), he
    uses up too many overs and sets them far too high a run rate.

    Best chance of bowling a side out is when they're trying to get the runs and
    win by taking chances, not when they are in safety first mode.

    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.



    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5646
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 6242
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 4:00 pm

    RRC wrote:
    purpleram wrote:Almost a perfect test pitch, if it would have deteriorated half a day earlier.

    To give England a big advantage, because they couldn't win without it?

    Imho Captain Cautious has missed quite a few wins by making far too sure
    that England can't lose, setting the opposition silly targets, with the result
    that they just bat out the overs.

    If he doesn't get runs quickly enough (and he personally rarely does), he
    uses up too many overs and sets them far too high a run rate.

    Best chance of bowling a side out is when they're trying to get the runs and
    win by taking chances, not when they are in safety first mode.

    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    I would have completely agreed with this prior to the arrival of Trevor Bayliss RRC, but I think that he has had a significant impact on Cook's thinking as captain.

    At 1-0 down in the fourth of a five test series a declaration 60 minutes earlier would have been ideal - although we would have took more risks in our second innings and possibly been in a position to declare even earlier - but the last think that Cook or Bayliss wanted to do was a "Zamora" - dominate 4 of the 5 days and then lose off the last ball.
    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by purpleram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 4:14 pm

    RRC wrote:
    purpleram wrote:Almost a perfect test pitch, if it would have deteriorated half a day earlier.

    To give England a big advantage, because they couldn't win without it?

    Imho Captain Cautious has missed quite a few wins by making far too sure
    that England can't lose, setting the opposition silly targets, with the result
    that they just bat out the overs.

    If he doesn't get runs quickly enough (and he personally rarely does), he
    uses up too many overs and sets them far too high a run rate.

    Best chance of bowling a side out is when they're trying to get the runs and
    win by taking chances, not when they are in safety first mode.

    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    No because the pitch held up too long, look how easy England had it for the most part in their second innings. Ideally IMO there should be something in the pitch for batting and bowling, and I always prefer a result. Cook is by nature risk averse but it has worked for us more often than not.
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 4135
    Age : 68
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by bramhallram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:11 pm

    Whatever the merits or otherwise of the pitch, it was great to see young Hameed bat. It's not often that you get to see so much talent in such a young player. After trying various no-hopers as Cook's opening partner it looks like we might have another Joe Root on our hands.

    The time to judge him is when he's played in the Ashes series next winter, but his technique looks pretty good to me. I would love him to do well .

    .
    avatar
    purpleram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Points : 3217
    Location : Spondon

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by purpleram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:20 pm

    I agree he looks a star but I would suggest an Indian tour is a bigger test than the Ashes these days. All out for 89 yesterday???
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 4135
    Age : 68
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by bramhallram on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:12 pm

    purpleram wrote:I agree he looks a star but I would suggest an Indian tour is a bigger test than the Ashes these days. All out for 89 yesterday???

    You may well be right. I visit Oz every couple of years and it does my heart good to see them getting thrashed. I hope we can repeat the punishment in 2017.

    .
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 4135
    Age : 68
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by bramhallram on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

    bramhallram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:I agree he looks a star but I would suggest an Indian tour is a bigger test than the Ashes these days. All out for 89 yesterday???

    You may well be right. I visit Oz every couple of years and it does my heart good to see them getting thrashed. I hope we can repeat the punishment in 2017.

    .

    Oh well, so much for wishful thinking. It could only have been a worse tour if we'd lost all five tests. We were outplayed from start to finish, but that doesn't excuse one aspect of the series: the bouncer barrage.

    I have to say I was deeply unimpressed by the Aussie tactics of bowling a constant stream of bouncers at our tail enders. How typical of the 'bully boy' tactics we've come to associate with Aussie cricket.

    It's only three years ago that Phillip Hughes died as a result of a bouncer severing an artery in his neck. And he was an experienced, professional opening bat. What chance have the likes of Anderson and Crane got ? God knows why the umpires made no attempt to restrict the barrage.

    As a matter of urgency we need at least one top class spinner, two seriously fast bowlers, a pair of gutsy openers who move their feet and a middle order that doesn't regard a fifty as job done.

    If we don't tick all those boxes by the time of the next Ashes series down under we should spare ourselves the humiliation of another visit.

    Rant over.

    .
    avatar
    whestonram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 330
    Registration date : 2010-10-09
    Points : 352
    Location : Sheffield

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by whestonram on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 1:26 pm

    bramhallram wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:I agree he looks a star but I would suggest an Indian tour is a bigger test than the Ashes these days. All out for 89 yesterday???

    You may well be right. I visit Oz every couple of years and it does my heart good to see them getting thrashed. I hope we can repeat the punishment in 2017.

    .

    Oh well, so much for wishful thinking. It could only have been a worse tour if we'd lost all five tests. We were outplayed from start to finish, but that doesn't excuse one aspect of the series: the bouncer barrage.

    I have to say I was deeply unimpressed by the Aussie tactics of bowling a constant stream of bouncers at our tail enders. How typical of the 'bully boy' tactics we've come to associate with Aussie cricket.

    It's only three years ago that Phillip Hughes died as a result of a bouncer severing an artery in his neck. And he was an experienced, professional opening bat. What chance have the likes of Anderson and Crane got ? God knows why the umpires made no attempt to restrict the barrage.

    As a matter of urgency we need at least one top class spinner, two seriously fast bowlers, a pair of gutsy openers who move their feet and a middle order that doesn't regard a fifty as job done.

    If we don't tick all those boxes by the time of the next Ashes series down under we should spare ourselves the humiliation of another visit.

    Rant over.

    .
    So pretty well a whole new team apart from Root and Bairstow. Sounds about right
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4826
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6492
    Age : 70
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by SawleyRam on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 1:37 pm

    Barnstaple Ram wrote:Not seen any of the action but no matter what situation we find ourselves in

    Ballance is not the answer!!!

    Better than falling over!
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14540
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16285
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by MadAmster on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 2:35 pm

    ... as long as we don't progress from the Ashes to Ashes into dust...........

    Sponsored content

    Re: Cricket, lovely cricket

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun 24 Jun 2018, 2:39 am