FIFA a disgrace

derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

FIFA a disgrace

Post by derbygee on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 8:17 am

As a proud veteran I find FIFA's poppy ban for the armistice day game against Scotland a total disgrace.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4524
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Re: FIFA a disgrace

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 10:21 am

The ignorance and stupidity of FIFA never cease to amaze me but what hurts more is the willingness of The English and Scottish F.A.'s to accept such a ruling.

All players and officials should wear poppies with pride to commemorate the fallen and to hell with the World Cup.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2097
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 12:47 pm

just bung someone a few million quid and they will re-write the rules
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 1:29 pm

phook FIFA

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14564
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 5:43 pm

SawleyRam wrote:The ignorance and stupidity of FIFA never cease to amaze me but what hurts more is the willingness of The English and Scottish F.A.'s to accept such a ruling.

All players and officials should wear poppies with pride to commemorate the fallen and to hell with the World Cup.

Exactly
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 269
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 6:08 pm

SawleyRam wrote:The ignorance and stupidity of FIFA never cease to amaze me but what hurts more is the willingness of The English and Scottish F.A.'s to accept such a ruling.

But we don't know they are willing, do we? Last report I saw said they were finding out what the punishment would be if they ignored the ruling, which suggests they're not necessarily going to accept it.

It seems to me the ban on religious, political and commercial things on shirts is a good thing, its just a pity that FIFA seem to see the poppy as that, because I don't think its any of those things.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5369
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 8:52 pm

They should secretly commission poppy headbands a la 1980's John McEnroe, and both sets of players, management teams and track suited hangers on should wear them.

Whether that would avoid a fine is really immaterial - but it wouldn't half make the world sit up and take notice.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 6:16 am

How something that is intended to commemorate ALL of the dead from ALL of the wars and not just British or Allied troops can be seen as religious, political or commercial is a total travesty IMO.

I hope FIFA repents or that the two FA's ignore the ruling and pay the 10K Swiss Franc fine.

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 6:54 am

MadAmster wrote:How something that is intended to commemorate ALL of the dead from ALL of the wars and not just British or Allied troops can be seen as religious, political or commercial is a total travesty IMO.

I hope FIFA repents or that the two FA's ignore the ruling and pay the 10K Swiss Franc fine.

Completely agree MA.

Would a white poppy appease FIFA ? There is an argument ( not one I agree with btw) that a white poppy is even more (or just more) religious than a red one IMHO.
    derbygee

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1959
    First ever game : Swansea
    Number of posts : 767
    Registration date : 2015-05-06

Post by derbygee on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 7:21 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:How something that is intended to commemorate ALL of the dead from ALL of the wars and not just British or Allied troops can be seen as religious, political or commercial is a total travesty IMO.

Completely agree MA.

Would a white poppy appease FIFA ?  There is an argument ( not one I agree with btw) that a white poppy is even more (or just more) religious than a red one IMHO.

that would simply make things worse, the white poppy is a political statement.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4524
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 8:00 am

The game in question is being played on British soil under British Sovereignty with  somebody from some foreign land interfering with something they do not understand.

The Poppy for Armistice Day is NOT a polititcal nor religious statement.

If FIFA consider the humble Poppy as such why are national anthems being played before the game which are Nationalistic, Religious and Political statements?

Double standards by a corrupt organisation.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 3:51 pm

FIFA needs to sort itself out before they should even dare to think about something so far out of what their sphere of influence should be.

Fishcakes
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1057
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 5:59 am

The poppy for me represents the ww1 and ww2 which the Europe lost millions of lives.
    It should be remembered and with freedom of speech people have choice to wear a poppy ot not.

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:03 am

I believe that the Republic team wore a shirt commemorating the centenary of the Easter Rising in a couple of international friendlies earlier this year.

I sometimes wonder if we Brits are simply too "correct" - was our problem that we "asked permission" this time? I am assuming that the Irish just decided to do it without referring to FIFA.

I've friends who live in continental Europe and, a lot of the time, particularly in Belgium, they pretty much ignore EU edicts and do what they like.
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 269
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:54 am

It seems our FA is going to ignore the ban anyway
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11225
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 8:31 am

As they should. If they get any more than the meagre fine handed out to countries who repeatedly have racist chanting then we would surely fight it.
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 9:03 am

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38174273

Have a butchers what the sensible lads at Derby Mad think of the whole poppy wearing in general, I guess opinions are like arsesholes, everyone's got them but the mind boggles. I can't get into this debate with them my blood boils.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15877
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 10:29 am

If the FA decides that poppies will be worn, will players be free to opt out?

Imho it should be optional, as clearly not everyone in England agrees with it (see purpleram's
    link in the post above this one - http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38174273).

I think I can guess how the tabloids and social media will treat any player who opts
    not to wear a poppy (as is their right) - faux outrage and pouring scorn for a start.

There's nothing to stop the FA covering the stadium with poppies and making a generous
    donation to the Royal British Legion. Wouldn't that be enough to show support?

Btw I do support the poppy appeal but I also think people should be free to choose.

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:10 pm

RRC wrote:If the FA decides that poppies will be worn, will players be free to opt out?

Imho it should be optional, as clearly not everyone in England agrees with it (see purpleram's
    link in the post above this one - http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38174273).

I think I can guess how the tabloids and social media will treat any player who opts
    not to wear a poppy (as is their right) - faux outrage and pouring scorn for a start.

There's nothing to stop the FA covering the stadium with poppies and making a generous
    donation to the Royal British Legion. Wouldn't that be enough to show support?

Btw I do support the poppy appeal but I also think people should be free to choose.

You would expect so, just as every club for whom James McClean has played has respected his wishes.

The real problem is that FIFA's "ban" restricts individual freedom of choice - I cannot imagine the FA "insisting" that everyone wear one - that would be just as bad IMHO.

We are all aware of so called "Poppy Fascists" hijacking the symbol for jingoistic means, and the strong pan-religious feeling of outrage in respect of the immorality of certain recent conflicts (for McClean, read Bloody Sunday), but if they are free not to wear, then any player should be free to wear.

Interestingly, although my earlier post referring to the 1916-2016 centenary emblem on Irish shirts for two spring friendlies appears not to have been run by FIFA, I wonder if the Irish FA gave players the choice to opt out too?
    purpleram

Post by purpleram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:16 pm

100% it is an individuals right to choose, but I can't think of one coherent, or rational reason, a player would agree to play football for a country (by association support that country) and not to support the troops that uphold that country. I think you can support the troops while disagreeing with the policies the Government sends the troops to enforce.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm

Point of order here....... the players aren't actually playing for their country. In reality, they represent the Football Association of a particular country and not the country.

Most don't see the difference and those that do are considered pedants.

When UEFA and FIFA were created, they were international associations of football associations. They still are. In most countries people no longer see the "national" team as a representative of their FA. That is why most don't understand why England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have teams when they are one country, the UK.

The populace has, over the years, politicised international football.

Discuss.
    purpleram

Post by purpleram on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm

While true MA, and also a touch pedantic, the England team is only the cash cow it is because it represents England (or is perceived to) as it does to all the other home nations and all footballing nations.

If not, remove the name, the badge, all association with the nation. I am only passionate about the Rams because they represent my county, I get they are a franchise but wouldn't last a minute if they remove the local association.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15877
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 10:49 pm

purpleram wrote:While true MA, and also a touch pedantic, the England team is only the cash cow it is because it represents England (or is perceived to) as it does to all the other home nations and all footballing nations.

If not, remove the name, the badge, all association with the nation. I am only passionate about the Rams because they represent my county, I get they are a franchise but wouldn't last a minute if they remove the local association.

How true! Can't see me supporting Just Eat FC.
    Interesting that FIFA, UEFA, the FA etc.have no problem with brand adverts or
    some of the people who buy football clubs, including criminals and/or politicians.

I'm wavering in my support for the Waitrose Cricket team but that's partly owing
    to some of the creeps people who run or work for the the ECB.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 7:30 am

purpleram wrote:While true MA, and also a touch pedantic, the England team is only the cash cow it is because it represents England (or is perceived to) as it does to all the other home nations and all footballing nations.

The badge should be OK Purps as that is the logo of the FA, the entity the team represents.

You are so right in saying that it is the perception......
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2097
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 8:40 am

Red Bull seem to be buying a lot of football teams - they way the European (cough champions cough league) is becoming a closed shop and the top teams (and even teams like our beloved Rams) are considered Brands that owners are trying to internationalise - they are franchises in all but name - like MacDonalds - the shieks have bought one of the two Manchester franchises, the yanks a Liverpool one and the ruski a west London one - that is all

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm