a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Robbing Fukkin B'Stards

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13349
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Robbing Fukkin B'Stards

Post by MadAmster on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm

Every year since I have lived in the Netherlands, I have paid may taxes every month like everybody else. Start of a new year you fill in your tax return for the previous calendar year and send it to the Revenue before April 1st. Do that and they guarantee you will have any cash you have overpaid by July 1st at the latest.

Works out well for most folk as they get a refund. Last year, for the first time ever, I owed them money and paid up as soon as they sent me the bill.

By the end of February 2017 I will have received all the 2016 info I need from the mortgage, employer, bank etc and can then fill out my 2016 tax return.

Imagine my surprise when, this morning, I received a preliminary tax bill for 2017!!!!! Yes, that's right folks. My 2017 tax return, already filled in by the Revenue. Guess what? They think I owe them €885. Pay up before February 28th or the bill will start accruing interest.

I was unhappy at this so I phoned them. The figures they used are guesstimates based on the 2015 figures. I told them the figures are wrong as they don't take into account changes that I know are happening. I should get 2 or 3 grand back from them over 2017. I even explained what the changes are and that I don't know, with any certainty, what my income and deductions will be. Their answer was "have an educated guess". I will still have to complete a return in 2018 for 2017 containing the actual figures and then wither they will pay me what they owe or I them.

So, I have until February 7th to fill in a complete 2017 tax return based on my best guesstimates. Anything I owe them will be paid in one go. If it turns out, as it will, that they owe me, I will get the money spread out over 10 monthly payments..... and then fill out another tax return for 2017 next year containing the actual figures. Fortunately I know a lot about the system and can fill out my forms myself. Most folk use an accountant and that costs them €300 or thereabouts...... and it's not tax deductible.

March 2017 will see me filling in my 2016 tax return...... as always used to happen. It takes about 6 hours. I will have to fill an extra one in this year. Another 6 hours of my life I will never get back........

Do they think we have nowt better to do?

The cause is, apparently, a new Law which came in to force last year and this is the first time they have been charging tax up front.........

As you might have gathered, I am not a happy bunny.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 543
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Re: Robbing Fukkin B'Stards

Post by Jackal on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 3:44 pm

I'm not surprised you aren't. So whilst this money sits in their accounts they accrue all the interest. I imagine this could be the death of many small businesses that have a small turnover so can't pay money they haven't actually earned yet. I believe accountants ARE tax deductable here in the UK. I advise going on plenty of business lunches to screw them over in the long run (i assume they are a tax break in  the Netherlands too?)

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13349
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

Jackal wrote:I'm not surprised you aren't. So whilst this money sits in their accounts they accrue all the interest. I imagine this could be the death of many small businesses that have a small turnover so can't pay money they haven't actually earned yet. I believe accountants ARE tax deductable here in the UK. I advise going on plenty of business lunches to screw them over in the long run (i assume they are a tax break in  the Netherlands too?)

No business lunches are not deductible.

Also...... if you get any clothing or a clothing allowance and the items don't have the company logo on them then they are taxable as you could wear them "out".

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Jackal

Post by Jackal on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 4:52 pm

And i thought things were bad here!

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14456
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 4:58 pm

I thought this post was about Leeds charging an extra fiver tonight to pay on the gate!! £42!!!!!!
    Jackal

Post by Jackal on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 5:51 pm

chicken wrote:I thought this post was about Leeds charging an extra fiver tonight to pay on the gate!! £42!!!!!!

For a televised game? Good luck with that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 11:40 am