New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23104
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Villa Not Rosa

Post by New England Ram on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 5:31 pm

Unlike some on here I'm actually a Steve Bruce fan...always one of the more honest and down to earth blokes in football as far as I am concerned.

But what a fewkin mess they are in....on the decline for years.
    Came down and played the buy "anything that isn't nailed down " card.
    And that seemingly thus far has completely blown up in their faces.
    As the table stands at the moment we ( despite our sorry state) are the highest midlands club in this division...
    All the midlands clubs below us have made changes in managers this season....and all are currently going nowhere.....unless it's down.

No easy answers...on the night of Nigel's return are we back at looking at stabilizing our club again and sticking with the manager we have...or is everyone ready to hit the change button again.

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15800
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Re: Villa Not Rosa

Post by RRC on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 7:47 pm

It does seem that managers either do or don't fit with clubs.
    Bruce has been successful at other clubs but maybe Villa is a mess too far
    for anyone at the moment.

I don't think Derby need to stablise - we need a clear out.
    This group of players have been too comfortable for too long
    and it shows in the lack of fight when things go against them.

The manager's tactics or lack of alternative plans aren't helping.
    Imho we probably need Pearson or someone like him, a new broom.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6259
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:36 pm

I think Mel has some serious thinking to do.

It is blindingly obvious that this season is over. We won't be promoted and only need another 7 points to avoid the drop, so barring points deductions or some serious bribery, we'll be starting next season in the Championship.

I think it's safe to assume that Mel would rather like us to be promoted, so he must be seriously considering McClaren's position.

Will Mel see this season as just a consequence of the previous two manager's tenures, leaving McClaren with an unbalanced squad too used to aimlessly keeping possession? If Mel goes that way he may want to give McClaren and Evans the summer to sort it out, with the return of Chris Martin instantly making our 433 a better option.

On the other hand, Mel could see a manager who struggles to adapt and perennially presides over catastrophic collapses. May be would accept a 6-10th place finish, but what if we end up in 18th place? It's difficult to argue that our squad isn't unbalanced. If Mel decides that a new approach is needed, then it makes sense to give the new manager these next couple of months working with the players in a competitive context in order to maximise the effectiveness of the summer transfer dealings.

Personally I hope McClaren is sacked tonight - but I'd have sacked him on the night that he was re-appointed so I might be a bit biased. To me he's a very limited manager who just believes himself to be too big for little Derby County.
    KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:49 pm

I just hope that Mel is patient enough to persevere with the club - we would be seriously screwed if he was to decide that he has had enough of this shambles and chose to pack his bags.
    dcfcgaz

Number of posts : 1743
    Registration date : 2010-08-30

Post by dcfcgaz on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm

CornwallRam wrote:I think Mel has some serious thinking to do.

It is blindingly obvious that this season is over. We won't be promoted and only need another 7 points to avoid the drop, so barring points deductions or some serious bribery, we'll be starting next season in the Championship.

I think it's safe to assume that Mel would rather like us to be promoted, so he must be seriously considering McClaren's position.

Will Mel see this season as just a consequence of the previous two manager's tenures, leaving McClaren with an unbalanced squad too used to aimlessly keeping possession? If Mel goes that way he may want to give McClaren and Evans the summer to sort it out, with the return of Chris Martin instantly making our 433 a better option.

On the other hand, Mel could see a manager who struggles to adapt and perennially presides over catastrophic collapses. May be would accept a 6-10th place finish, but what if we end up in 18th place? It's difficult to argue that our squad isn't unbalanced. If Mel decides that a new approach is needed, then it makes sense to give the new manager these next couple of months working with the players in a competitive context in order to maximise the effectiveness of the summer transfer dealings.

Personally I hope McClaren is sacked tonight - but I'd have sacked him on the night that he was re-appointed so I might be a bit biased. To me he's a very limited manager who just believes himself to be too big for little Derby County.
    It might be worth noting that tonight, the team that have our supposed best striker are only one point better off than us!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 12:44 am

Is there a quick fix answer for us though.
    If there is who amongst us has the answer?
    I for one can only see a new manager and a change of system along with some well thought out additions as the answer.
    But we tried that twice already Afraid

KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 6:34 am

New England Ram wrote:Is there a quick fix answer for us though.
    I for one can only see a new manager and a change of system along with some well thought out additions as the answer.

Maybe someone might ask the players to meet up between games. Maybe, between games, someone might talk with them about how they might work together to pass the ball to each other whilst moving in the general direction of the other team's goal. Maybe someone might talk with them about how they might work together to get the ball into the other team's net. Maybe someone might talk with them about what they will do when the other team has the ball - so that they get it back without allowing the other team to score. Maybe somebody will then pick a team that will do what was agreed when they met up.

Just a thought
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5308
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 10:11 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:

Maybe someone might ask the players to meet up between games. Maybe, between games, someone might talk with them about how they might work together to pass the ball to each other whilst moving in the general direction of the other team's goal. Maybe someone might talk with them about how they might work together to get the ball into the other team's net. Maybe someone might talk with them about what they will do when the other team has the ball - so that they get it back without allowing the other team to score. Maybe somebody will then pick a team that will do what was agreed when they met up.

Just a thought

Cracking idea.

I think Pearson probably tried that, and look where it got him.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4457
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 1:55 pm

I think we know the answer to your first question NER........There is no such thing as a quick fix at Derby County, it's been tried 3 times of recent seasons and we are no further forward.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 2:40 pm

SawleyRam wrote:

I think we know the answer to your first question NER........There is no such thing as a quick fix at Derby County, it's been tried 3 times of recent seasons and we are no further forward.

Sawl....looks like the only answer we will get will be Chris Martin up front.
    And then same again...as you were.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4457
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Sawl....looks like the only answer we will get will be Chris Martin up front.
    And then same again...as you were.

At least with Martin back we will be able to miss the playoffs by nearer.Flogging dead horse

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 8:52 am