a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

It's not all bad...........

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13557
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

It's not all bad...........

Post by MadAmster on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:37 am

.... there are still good things going on in our game.

Saturday evening, my lad Kevin said "Dad just heard we haven't got a ref for tomorrow..... will you......?".

So, I came out of retirement. In the away fixture, a few months back, my lad's team lost 7-1. This time they won 3-2. A very good game, hard fought but generally fair.

I went to speak with the oppo while they were in their pre-gme huddle. It appears they have a standing "joke". When the ref approaches at huddle time they say "right speak English". They did it this time and were highly amused and astounded at the "that's alright with me" reply they got. I then gave them a quick 30 seconds of what I expected from them and what they would get from me. They were happy knowing where they stood.

5 mins 1-0
    20 mins 1-1
    26 mins 2-1
    80 mins 2-2 and the goal down to the keeper who was distressed at his blunder
    88 mins home team striker running towards the area, brought down from behind when already past the defence. Obvious to one and all, a direct free kick BUT..... where form? This quick counter had caught the ref out and I was some 20 to 25 yards behind play. Inside or outside? I did not know. I consulted the assistant (aka one of their subs) who insisted it was outside the box. I accepted his version as you have to have trust in your colleagues (after a few beer it turns out the home team confirmed the story, clobbered outside the box, landed inside). Explained what I was doing and why and then turned to their #13 and said " sorry son, has to be red". He replied " I know". The free kick flew a foot over the bar.
    90 mins 2-2 and 4 minutes injury time for injuries substitutions and time wasting by the home keeper. Added at the request of the away side.
    90+2 3-2 from a corner
    94 game over 3-2 win for my lad.

5 penalty claims refused in the game plus the was it wasn't it issue.

After showering, the "3rd half" began in the club bar. I had a couple with the home team and then went to chat to the visitors. Very friendly chat, couple of beers and then....... probably the biggest compliment ever.

If both teams are in the same League next season would you ref the away game against us.... THEIR home game.

I said yes. I thought I'd done well. That invitation told me I had actually done very well indeed. I look forward to the game next season.

All in all a wonderful game of football played in the right way by all concerned. In all honesty, a draw would have been the right result based on the 90 minutes but when the losers still go home happy, everybody deserves a good pat on the shoulders. I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    baseballer

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Coventry away 1978
    Number of posts : 691
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

Re: It's not all bad...........

Post by baseballer on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 3:12 pm

Brilliant read. What age group?
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4247
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

MA

Thats was the best match report I have read in many a year!

To me this is the very essence of the game I love, and would so liked to have been watching.

Can anyone honestly tell me that fookin money isn't ruining the beautiful game.

Please ensure you report on the next one. Thumbs up

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1331
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 5:00 pm

rjrules71 wrote:MA

Thats was the best match report I have read in many a year!

To me this is the very essence of the game I love, and would so liked to have been watching.

Can anyone honestly tell me that fookin money isn't ruining the beautiful game.

Please ensure you report on the next one. Thumbs up
    Totally agree with you....money is ruining the game...and Madamster report..takes me back to my playing days...and it was so much more enjoyable back in the day...
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4362
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 10:24 pm

Kevin didn't repeat any of my bad jokes to the oppo did he 'Ammy they would have still been groaning when the winner went in!
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13557
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 8:30 am

baseballer wrote:Brilliant read. What age group?

Adults. Home side youngest probably 21 and the oldest 53. Away side I would say all in their twenties.

Sawls wrote:Kevin didn't repeat any of my bad jokes to the oppo did he 'Ammy they would have still been groaning when the winner went in!

Fortunately, I managed to keep him away from them LOL One of his teammates did come up with one every bit as bad in the bar afterwards. Kevin said "that's a proper Dad joke". I will put it in this post but, unfortunately, it loses any humour it may have had in translation..............

Wat doet een loodgieter wanneer hij geen materiaal meer heeft? Hij gaat naar de leidinggevende LOL roll

It's a play on words......... What does plumber do when he runs out of materials? He goes to the boss............. and that is where translation sticks its oar in. The explanation is that "leiding" has two translations: In Dutch a leidinggevende is a supervisor/manager, however, a "leiding" is a pipe (water/gas/oil etc) Gevende is a giver. Leidinggevende as 1 word is the gaffer but as 2 words it is the giver of pipes.........

I liked this, not so much because it is a proper "Dad" joke but because the Dutch don't tend to do plays on words and here was a lad in his early 20s doing it. As a former language teacher it appealed to me.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 2:32 pm