a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Who would

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Who would

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:36 am

...take a good beating next week if it meant getting rid of McClaren?

I think I would.

I hate that it's come to this. I never want the Rams to lose. I even struggle to want Forest to win when it helps our own position. I feel disloyal and a little bit dirty.

However, I'm desperate to see us rebuilding a team for which I feel an affinity. Going to games is a chore - and I'm not one who considers that football is only worth watching if we play like Brazil. I just want to feel that we are building an honest side who will give everything for the shirt. It's nice if it's free flowing attacking football, but I'm happy with long ball to two giant strikers, or solid defence and swift counter attacks, or traditional 442 with tricky wingers...anything really as long as it feels like we're developing - not just trying to re-create the golden age of near success from three seasons ago. I just want to feel part of the club, and I'll never do that with that slimy twat in charge.
    purpleram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Re: Who would

Post by purpleram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 10:00 am

I am with you 100% Corny, not sure how I have come to this juncture as a pretty much a blind faither for all my years as a fan.

He is a treacherous piece of shite, if we were top of the League and a Prem team came knocking he would leave us in the lurch again, he has to go.
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 10:09 am

We will lose to Forest and he'll still be here.  Whilst people are still making excuses for him such as "this is not his team, let him have the summer" and "we were fighting relegation when he came, it's not his fault", then unfortunately McSnake will be here next season and we will have been humiliated at
    Forest.
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 497
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 10:17 am

If a 4-0 tonking would rid us of this bellend of a manager I'd happily take it,surely Morris must be regretting bringing him back but after the Clement and Pearson debacle is he afraid to upset the shit cart again.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13322

Post by MadAmster on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 10:17 am

Get down off your fence Cornwall :)

I had the misfortune to watch last night's "performance" or better, the lack of one. I could go into a whole list of the things we should be doing on the park but suffice it to say that what we are failing in is a whole list of stuff summed up in one word......... "basics"

de Sart had his worst game for us. God knows how many tackles he went into thinking that merely waving a leg in the general direction of the ball was sufficient. It aint and led to their first. Having said that, he isn't a DM but was played as one. The lad is a skillful attacking MF and we will only see him at his best playing in that position.

The defence as a whole needs to start picking up opponents in and around our box. For their 2nd, Baldock was in the D along with 3 Rams "defenders", the ball was down their right, Baldock backed away, into space, and nobody saw it as all 3 were ball watching and/or marking space like they are supposed to with zonal marking. Yet again, space didn't score................ but Baldock did.

Their 3rd? 3 defenders went to the near post or further leaving whoever it was to sidefoot the ball, unchallenged, into the net.

3-0 defeat but Carson can be thanked that it wasn't more so he is one of few, very few, who came out of this debacle with anything like credit.

Vydra put in a shift and is another who earned his corn last night.

Ince can be commended, but no more than that, for 2 sparkling attacking moves but it is remarkable and absolutely amazing to have to say that he did his best work defending........ whoever thought we would see a game where that would be true.

We saw an improvement 2nd half but, based on the first half, it could hardly have been worse. I've already spoken about de Sart being played out of position. What about Hughes when he came on? Right side MF for a predominantly left footer. He was poor. The worst I have ever seen him play. Why? Round peg, square hole. Also, when he got the ball, there was absolutely no movement in front or alongside him. He had no outlet and little else to do than try to beat those surrounding him. I felt sorry for the lad but this game showed up his great weakness. Onefootedness. Train the other lad or you will never reach your potential.

Next week's game down the road is being shown in several countries so there will probably be a live stream. Fortunately, I will miss it as I will be at my brother in law's birthday bash. Last week they beat BHA 3-0. I know that usually has no bearing on games where A beats B, B beats C and then A&C play each other. Often C wins it. However, so very much has to change or we may well see a sheep cull next week.

If SM really does know how to solve the problems, why isn't he writing that letter?

Failing that, why isn't he solving the problems?

In the past when we have really been crap, you knew that the players were doing their level best and that that simply wasn't enough. Collectively, this lot should be doing much, much better, because they can. That is the really frustrating thing for me.

First 9 games = 6 points
    Last 9 games = 6 points

Those two spells = relegation

19 games in between gave us a further 40 points. OK, so the football wasn't up to the 13/14 standard when we were scoring for fun but it shows the potential this squad has. What they can do. Why aren't they? Too many carrying knocks we don't know about? Internal squabbles? Lack of fitness? Confused by the gaffer's instructions? Unsure why they are being asked to do things they can't?

DCFC is, yet again, frustrating the hell out of us fans. It's all part of the roller coaster. Not a part I like though.

A school report at this time would read "can, should and must do better".

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

norfolkram wrote:If a 4-0 tonking would rid us of this bellend of a manager I'd happily take it,surely Morris must be regretting bringing him back but after the Clement and Pearson debacle is he afraid to upset the shit cart again.

You hit the nail on the head there, Norfolk. To paraphrase Lady Bracknell, "to sack two managers may be regarded as a misfortune; to sack three looks like carelessness."

MM has painted himself into a corner with his chopping and changing of managers. If he gets rid of another he'll be a bit of a laughing stock, and that's the last thing he wants.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 10:58 am

I would.

I'd even cope with losing to the Bluenoses, and that's saying something.

I've had my rant on another thread, so I'll try to be brief and then shut up for a bit.

SM should have them all in for training tomorrow - no Sunday off malarky. Tell the entire squad who is starting next Saturday, and play 11 v 11 constantly, full on, so that the players get used to their roles and responsibilities. I think the team picks itself - if Keogh is fit I'd have to bring him back because Christie is a bigger liability defensively, so Baird or CC at full back. Lowe in for Olsson. Pearce, despite a few poor performances rcently, keeps his place, 'cos we ain't got anyone else.

Bryson and Will central in a four. Take your pick of Anya or Russell to partner Ince wide, and Vydra off Nugent. 424, 442, call it whatever you want. Play it, play it, and play it again. All day, all week, and get as used to it as you can come Saturday.
    chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 11:09 am

But we all know that they'll rest Sunday and then practice their little triangles, practice playing in their own half, practice passing backwards and we will be back to playing 4-3-3 with de Sart playing if Johnson isn't fit, repeat until the end of the season.
    old ewe

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 11:51 am

So when did the rot set in?? Similar time to last time. But this time not his preoccupation with Newcastle. This time it was the Martin fiasco. Gave the players the same sapping messages of the rejection of their efforts in favour of something better. And to cap it all HE gets a new contract and inflated pay whilst playing for a rival club and THEY are told that no contract talks will take place until after the end of the season.
    Presumably there will come a prearranged,trigger moment when he can be removed when his last payoff is settled and no further financial commitment is expected. If not Mel is not the astute businessman when it comes to Football. But then the game is littered with those...................
    chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

The rot set in properly when he 'rested' 8 players v Leicester.
    old ewe

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 12:26 pm

Agreed. That was fantastically bad man management in so many ways. And now he is publically saying the players aren't good enough. Does the man ever look in the mirror and acknowledge his own input and limitations ??
    Angus1

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

chicken wrote:The rot set in properly when he 'rested' 8 players v Leicester.

The rot set in because we had a stack of tough away games and we were never likely to get anything from those games. To much defensive weakness and more importantly lack of balance in midfield to cope in away games against the better teams in the league.
    chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 12:32 pm

Angus1 wrote:

The rot set in because we had a stack of tough away games and we were never likely to get anything from those games. To much defensive weakness and more importantly lack of balance in midfield to cope in away games against the better teams in the league.
    It set in when he changed a winning side to resting 8 players against Leicester. You do not keep changing a winning side unless there is an injury. It's basic stuff.
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 12:42 pm

Angus1 wrote:

What a crock, you don't get in this shit by losing tough away games, you get in this shit for getting 2 points from 12 against pretty much the bottom four.
    McClaren apologists are defending the indefensible, this squad if inspired and coached properly should be top six.
    He should be gone.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm

For the 2nd time this season we are on a run of 6 points from 9 games. Not good enough. No points away at BHA would be acceptable if we had turned up but we didn't.

A mere 2 points from Burton, Bristol and Cardiff in successive home games is.......... well, you think of a term bad enough.

We had a chance at Leicester to progress in the Cup. We failed. Again. Next game was Millwall away. A full team that was up for it (and they probably wouldn't have been) would have seen us 1 game away from a Wemberley semi...... not important enough to SM it seems. OK we'd have had to beat Spurs to get there but that isn't the point. We might just as easily have got an easier draw. You never know.

Derby is my club. Always has been. Always will be. It hurts to see it suffer the way it is when there is no need for it. These same players have shown urgency, skill, poise, grit and good old givafuquedness in the past. Where has it gone? It's still in there somewhere unless aliens have taken over their bodies.

If a team is doing as well as it CAN but still losing, I can accept it. When a team can be oh so much better but the gvqness is missing, I am up in arms. In a "real job" several of these would get sacked and not get a very good reference at the moment.

HELP!!!!!

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 1:14 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:I would.  

SM should have them all in for training tomorrow - no Sunday off malarky. Tell the entire squad who is starting next Saturday, and play 11 v 11 constantly, full on, so that the players get used to their roles and responsibilities.  I think the team picks itself - if Keogh is fit I'd have to bring him back because Christie is a bigger liability defensively, so Baird or CC at full back.  Lowe in for Olsson. Pearce, despite a few poor performances rcently, keeps his place, 'cos we ain't got anyone else.

Bryson and Will central in a four. Take your pick of Anya or Russell to partner Ince wide, and Vydra off Nugent.  424, 442, call it whatever you want.  Play it, play it, and play it again. All day, all week,  and get as used to it as you can come Saturday.

Satdeh AND Sundeh off SM. Friday's training will, as it always is, practising the specific "Tree Hugger" related stuff. How to take advantage of their weaknesses. How to negate their "strengths". How to deal with their dead ball situations etc. so that gives them 4 days to come up with a plan and get the lads used to it.

What can go wrong?....... Embarassed

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 1:49 pm

...and more than one of us on here both knew it would, and said so, prior to kick off.

There is some merit in occasionally resting your best players if you are Barcelona or Real Madrid, and the deputies can cope with beating bottom six La Liga teams without breaking sweat. Especially if you have a Copa Del Rey game, a European Cup semi Final and either Barcelona or Real Madrid to play all in the next three weeks.

...but we are not. We are Derby. We only had league games left, and the next three were against teams in the bottom six.

The trouble is, SM still thinks he is managing an elite team - and more worryingly, despite all the signs in the last 6 or 7 years, still thinks he should be.
    Angus1

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 2:14 pm

purpleram wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:

What a crock, you don't get in this shit by losing tough away games, you get in this shit for getting 2 points from 12 against pretty much the bottom four.
    McClaren apologists are defending the indefensible, this squad if inspired and coached properly should be top six.
    He should be gone.

No way is this squad top 6 material, too many holes, weak in midfield, weak at full back, no decent left winger. Unbalanced, lacking pace and power. Conte or Guardiola wouldn't have got us in the top 6. Mac inherited this near the bottom of the league, overall he has done ok.

Whether he is the man to restructure the squad is an important debate.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm

old ewe wrote:So when did the rot set in??   Similar time to last time. But this time not his preoccupation with Newcastle. This time it was the Martin fiasco.  Gave the players the same sapping messages of the rejection of their efforts in favour of something better. And to cap it all HE gets a new contract and inflated pay whilst playing for a rival club and THEY are told that no contract talks will take place until after the end of the season.
    Presumably there will come a prearranged,trigger moment when he can be removed when his last payoff is settled and no further financial commitment is expected.  If not Mel is not the astute businessman when it comes to Football. But then the game is littered with those...................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25891859

This was the point that McClaren started to use 'tactics', rather than go gung-ho for the opposition. McClaren is crap at tactics. McClaren has no clue what to do - he didn't know in 2014, but at least he had a squad good enough to mask his defficincies. Now he's being shown up for what he is - a matey coach who gets the players to smile in training.

Last edited by CornwallRam on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 2:54 pm

**** tactics ..I don't think you need tactics to get out this league.
    Just the right players playing in the right positions week in week out.
    And a good balance of size speed strength and skill.

As opposed to the one paced clones we have playing week in week out often in the wrong position and as well as trying to play football as far away from the oppositions goal as they can.
    I go back to Burnley and Crystal Palace when they both got promoted..straight and to goal as quickly as possible with power and strength.

Keep it ****ing simple..

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 541
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 4:00 pm

CornwallRam wrote:...take a good beating next week if it meant getting rid of McClaren?

I think I would.

I hate that it's come to this. I never want the Rams to lose. I even struggle to want Forest to win when it helps our own position. I feel disloyal and a little bit dirty.

However, I'm desperate to see us rebuilding a team for which I feel an affinity. Going to games is a chore - and I'm not one who considers that football is only worth watching if we play like Brazil. I just want to feel that we are building an honest side who will give everything for the shirt. It's nice if it's free flowing attacking football, but I'm happy with long ball to two giant strikers, or solid defence and swift counter attacks, or traditional 442 with tricky wingers...anything really as long as it feels like we're developing - not just trying to re-create the golden age of near success from three seasons ago. I just want to feel part of the club, and I'll never do that with that slimy twat in charge.
    Back to the OP, no i definitely would not take a beating by Forest to get any manager sacked. Their fans are insufferable enough as it is. Besides, if Mac is to be sacked before the end of the season, he has plenty of other games that can be the final straw - just not this one please.

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    baseballer

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Coventry away 1978
    Number of posts : 691
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

Post by baseballer on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 4:48 pm

Defo would take one.

Get Gary Rowett in asap. Before Norwich snap him
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10981
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:20 pm

Not me.

With a bit of luck they could go down so I'd sooner pile on the misery for them, and worry about our manager down the line.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4219
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:32 pm

100% not me

This has nothing to do with our season as a whole, this is a chance to show the supporters the fight and will to win required to send the dogs down, and to prove we are the best once again.

Finally the chance to get something from this dog eared season, if the players/manager cant get it up for this one, they should hang their heads in shame and take anything thrown at them.

Now COME ON YOU RAMS!!!!!! Fight Down with Forest Goal

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Not me.

With a bit of luck they could go down so I'd sooner pile on the misery for them, and worry about our manager down the line.

Agreed ..if we can raise the pressure on them and increase their chances of relegation let's get em.
    If we are stuck in this division having them out of it would at least mean two less pressure filled games.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:44 am