New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Another Chapter..here we go.

Post by New England Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:39 am

I suspect by the time I get up in the morning ready to tackle 18 inches of predicted snow over here.
    Our new manager will have been paraded at Pride Park.

Yet another chapter in our clubs saga filled history.
    As usual we can do nothing more than to sit back and hope for the best.
    And get behind the manager and support him and pray that he can start to turn this thing around.
    Although I suppose the first task is to get some stability back into the club and reinstate some credibility.
    I don't think it will be entertaining under Rowett but to be honest I'm just looking for them to be efficient and effective.

Good luck Gary get into em.

COYR COYR

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Re: Another Chapter..here we go.

Post by outsider on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 6:40 am

Welcome Gary. Good luck you will needed with DCFC

Fingers crossed
    asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 6:53 am

Great Player for Us! ..Great Luck Gary! happy
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:00 am

No more pandering to player power, Mel.

The right choice, finally. Back him with every sinew you have.

Its gonna take a while, and it ain't gonna be pretty....
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10981
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:00 am

I would love us to get away from the tedious 4-3-2-1 that has become our trademark. If that means getting the ball forward more quickly and by passing the midfield on occassions they f*ckin hooray I say.
    asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:01 am

Fooking Hell....Slagging off his style of play already?...N.E.R ? Jesus!!!!
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13322
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:12 am

What I have yet to understand is that many coaches (both those with diplomas and those disguised as fans :-) ) appear to think that it is a digital choice. Playing the ball out from the back through the midfield or route 1 over the midfield.

Both are good tactics, why don't teams realise that you can use both in the same game?

Anyway, back to the OP. Gary has got the job. There is a news conference at 14:30 UK time today. Live on the OS. I wish the lad every success, he is going to need all the luck going.

He, being a) local b) ex player c) ex Academy coach will understand, as much as anybody that, considering who the opposition is, he has to start with a win. The pressure is on. What formation, which pegs in what shaped holes he will send the team out is anybody's guess at the moment BUT he HAS to stamp his authority from minute #1.

Mel will have money for you in the summer. The fans are right behind you. The players are among the best in this division but aren't showing that. Over to you Mr Rowett.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:26 am

Good luck Gary Clapping I for one am very happy with this.

Rowett has shown that he can get the best out of players and knows how to get a team moving up the Championship table.

He's a manager on the up who's served a proper managerial apprenticeship. Moving to a big Championship club appears to be the next logical step for his career. That it is a club with which he has connections (player, coach, local, son supports & and Radio Derby commentator) adds a bit of romance.

The downside is that he's perceived as a manager known for fairly negative tactics. Personally I'm less concerned by that, but a lot of our fans might struggle if he goes to 'hoof ball'. My own take on it is that he uses the best system available to him with the players he's got. You can't play total football without total footballers. It'll be interesting to see what he does with our supposedly more skilful squad.

The best thing about this appointment is the timing. Unless a miracle happens (and this being DCFC anything is possible so watch us get either 0 or 27 points), we're not going up or down. We all know that this squad needs a rebuild in the summer. Rowett now has nine games to properly assess our current crop of players. I hope that this is a sign that Mel is learning after the wasted opportunity of Wassall taking charge after Clement. I also hope that Mel lets Rowett get on with it and backs his manager over any player whining. I'm led to believe that Mel and Gary are neighbours and friends. Hopefully that friendship will provide a foundation for the two to remain close, with players unable to undermine the manager's position.

We've just got to be patient and let Gary Rowett effect real change. IMO, not one player is indispensable. If Rowett choses to sell Hughes, Carson or Ince, then so be it. As fans, we can't use that as a stick to beat him when we have the inevitable poor run of results. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. It'll be Christmas before we can even form a sensible opinion over Rowett's tenure - and the following one before we can really start to make a proper assessment.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:43 am

MadAmster wrote:What I have yet to understand is that many coaches (both those with diplomas and those disguised as fans :-) ) appear to think that it is a digital choice. Playing the ball out from the back through the midfield or route 1 over the midfield.

Both are good tactics, why don't teams realise that you can use both in the same game?

We understand the concept Amster but I'd argue that before you do anything you have to have a working plan a. He needs to establish a way of playing using clear messages to the players, using players in their best positions. Surely only once this is functioning correctly can you begin to introduce more complicated in game changes.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:47 am

Stockport Ram wrote:No more pandering to player power, Mel.

Stocky, you're right but we both know it doesn't need to be pretty. It just needs to be successful.

In our famous promotion season of 1968/69 under Clough and Taylor we won 17 games by a one goal margin, and eleven of those were 1-0 victories. Nobody was bothered about those wins being pretty.

Thumbs up

Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2287
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:04 am

This is his pre season and it's what we should of done with Pearson last season, 9 games to assess what he's got then work on what he needs in the summer

Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

When we play Birmingham??

Whistle
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4295
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:48 am

A) Rowett has been out of work for a while.
    B) Rowett is reported as a neighbour of Mel Morris.
    C) Rowett would probably have known this moment was coming.
    D) Rowett will no doubt know about/who the alleged internal unrest was about.
    E) Rowett will know how Derby play.
    F) Rowett will have prepared his own ideas on how to tackle the job.
    G) Rowett will know the chairman's vision for this club.

Gary Rowett is the only manager available who has the ability to take this job and hit the ground running. (Just in time for those Reddogs!)

Come on Gary (that's the first manager we've had with the name Gary isn't it?) COYR
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:14 pm

asotrsott wrote:Fooking Hell....Slagging off his style of play already?...N.E.R ? Jesus!!!!

Where did i slag his style of play off ?
    Been on record as saying we need to be more like Burnley and Palace were.
    I'm old school and more about getting the ball forward as quickly as possible.
    I meant it wouldn't be entertaining in the way that McClarens first spell was where we shifted the ball around quickly and it was pleasing on the eye.

I hate all the pissing around for pissing arounds sake in our own half I want the ball down the oppositions throat as quickly as possible.
    IMO you don't need fancy tactics to get out this division just a better combination of muscle speed and skill.

You read me wrong mate.

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10176
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:34 pm

But can Gary work with the new player he will be given (not necessarily want)
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13322

Post by MadAmster on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:What I have yet to understand is that many coaches (both those with diplomas and those disguised as fans :-) ) appear to think that it is a digital choice. Playing the ball out from the back through the midfield or route 1 over the midfield.

We understand the concept Amster but I'd argue that before you do anything you have to have a working plan a. He needs to establish a way of playing using clear messages to the players, using players in their best positions. Surely only once this is functioning correctly can you begin to introduce more complicated in game changes.

Yes. However, these players should be able to play the passing game and the long ball game without the need for the gaffer to define plan A, B, C etc.

It's simply a matter of knowing that the various players are at this minute in a position where, if I give a 50 yard pass into the inside right channel, it will get there at the same moment as the striker who has just started his run and the midfield are in a position, and are ready, to back him up.

Similarly, everybody could be covered so I choose the short or medium length pass in whichever direction seems the best option............

I know I could do it back in the day, you could, Chaz could and probably so might several others on here have been able to. I got as far as Burton & District League Division 1 but wasn't good enough to even get offers of a trial with a League club. If it wasn't for arthritis in both knees I could probably still play those passes today. As could you, Chaz et al. We will have chosen the short/medium/long ball that best suited the position at that time.

IMO today's tactics based game seems to have robbed a lot of them of the ability to think and act for themselves.

.... and don't get me started on the one footed wonders...... everybody has a weaker foot but we seem to have 3/4 of a team or more who seem frightened to use the weaker foot. Solution to that is hard work every afternoon....... and we all know that aint going to happen.

COYR!!!

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 6:11 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:No more pandering to player power, Mel.

Stocky, you're right but we both know it doesn't need to be pretty. It just needs to be successful.

In our famous promotion season of 1968/69 under Clough and Taylor we won 17 games by a one goal margin, and eleven of those were 1-0 victories. Nobody was bothered about those wins being pretty.

Thumbs up

Dead right BR.  I seem to recall the Poisoned Dwarf's team winning a lot of 1-0 's as well.

I think that we won't know if we are really making long term progress for at least 12/13 months - can we perform in Jan/Feb/March 2018, regardless of how well we do before Christmas?
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:21 pm

Hopefully this tedium regarding formations can end. A good team shouldn't be so rigid. that's why under McClaren we weren't a good team.

Passion, tempo, discipline, bottle is whats required, all this MOTD/Sky analysis is sucking the fun out of football, everyone's Alan bleedin Hanson. Not in anyway a dig at anyone on here just a general frustration at the scientification (?) of football.

I'm 100% behind Rowett and will be as long as he's manager.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4219
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:21 pm

A career cut short with injury, a short spell with a lower league team to learn the trade
    Anyone see the parallels here Wink

I seem to remember OBE needing a couple of seasons to get in his stride, so lets give the lad some time  for a change.

It will take some sorting out this bloody mess we have got ourselves into.

I for one promise not to be over critical until until next season, a rebuild is going to take time and nerve from all levels from the boardroom down.

Give the lad some head room and a few $$$$ lets see if he can produce a team to compete in the PL

I still have the dream of a European cup win, so cruelly snatched away in the 70's and time is running out.  Fingers crossed

Good luck GAZ

PS a win v the dogs would be a great start, just saying Pray

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:39 pm

I have to echo all thats been said.

We need stability and it's time to stop looking for reasons to criticise and just get behind the manager and HIS team. OUR expectations as fans need to be balanced and above all, realistic, we need to face the fact that success takes time and a new manager needs more than a dozen games to form any picture of what needs to be done. We shouldn't EXPECT a promotion challenge next season, just do our bit to help the team be the best that they can be, get behind them when they are struggling and praise them when they do well because I trust that everything that Rowett does will be intended for the best for Derby County.

We need to put an end to OUR sniping at every opportunity, and forget 'our right to moan' because it is rarely helpful to the team only to our own selfish desire to be heard.

Let's beat the For*st on Saturday but if not, no need to worry, because the future will still be a whole lot brighter than it was last Saturday.
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:07 pm

In his press conference he spoke about formations. He said he'd played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and even 5 across the back.  Wow! I was astounded.
    LeedsRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-07-21

Post by LeedsRam on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:28 pm

He comes across very well in his interviews. I think it's a good appointment, but I thought Nigel Pearson was as well, so that shows what I know. I echo the sentiments here about needing to give him time and I'm certainly willing to give him at least 15 minutes before setting up my hate campaign on social media.

I feel more confident that he can sort out the mess than McClaren. There is so much to sort out, from the nepatism and bad practice at the academy, through to the poor attitude and lack of leadership amongst the players, on to the inept scouting system, and finally the poor decision making at the top. I hope he makes a success of it and I hope he is afforded the opportunity to do so. Signing a leader will be the start- whether that be a no nonsense big bastard at the back or midfield general - this signing amongst all others will be key. Who that will be I have no idea. Although i do know it isn't De Sart.

Good luck Gary!
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:49 pm

chicken wrote:In his press conference he spoke about formations. He said he'd played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and even 5 across the back.  Wow! I was astounded.

Can't be right, apparently you are only allowed one?
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:33 pm

LeedsRam wrote:He comes across very well in his interviews.

I agree. He came over very well at the press conference. I thought he talked sensibly and straight from the heart, and I got the impression he won't be taking any nonsense from the players.

Be interesting to see the line-up for the first game of next season.

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 541
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:56 pm

Lets hope Gary is the man to turn this steaming pile of fart pebbles into a team.

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:50 am