Another Chapter..here we go.

Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Re: Another Chapter..here we go.

Post by Mitten State Ram on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 2:10 am

chicken wrote:In his press conference he spoke about formations. He said he'd played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and even 5 across the back.  Wow! I was astounded.

Did he mention his policy on matching players' skill sets to corresponding position on the field, or is this too much to hope for all at once?

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14447
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:27 am

Mitten State Ram wrote:
    chicken wrote:In his press conference he spoke about formations. He said he'd played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and even 5 across the back.  Wow! I was astounded.

Did he mention his policy on matching players' skill sets to corresponding position on the field, or is this too much to hope for all at once?
    He did mention that too. He was quite impressive? I think it's on DCFC Facebook page if you want a listen.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13320
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:53 am

bramhallram wrote:
    LeedsRam wrote:He comes across very well in his interviews.

I agree. He came over very well at the press conference. I thought he talked sensibly and straight from the heart, and I got the impression he won't be taking any nonsense from the players.

Be interesting to see the line-up for the first game of next season.

Very true Bram, however, I expect to see changes in the line up this Saturday and that is where I am focusing my interest for now.

In his interview, GR forgot to mention 1-3-5-2. Is he trying to pull the wool over the red dogs' eyes in this omission? Wink

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Angus1

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 8:37 am

LeedsRam wrote:He comes across very well in his interviews. I think it's a good appointment, but I thought Nigel Pearson was as well, so that shows what I know. I echo the sentiments here about needing to give him time and I'm certainly willing to give him at least 15 minutes before setting up my hate campaign on social media.

I feel more confident that he can sort out the mess than McClaren. There is so much to sort out, from the nepatism and bad practice at the academy, through to the poor attitude and lack of leadership amongst the players, on to the inept scouting system, and finally the poor decision making at the top. I hope he makes a success of it and I hope he is afforded the opportunity to do so. Signing a leader will be the start- whether that be a no nonsense big bastard at the back or midfield general - this signing amongst all others will be key. Who that will be I have no idea. Although i do know it isn't De Sart.

Good luck Gary!

I would tend to agree with all that. Gary has the right background, he was here as a player when it worked and he was also in the youth set up when that worked under Terry Westley, he also found the right players to do him a job at previous clubs, from all sorts of backgrounds.

The strategy for next season will be interesting, with the 3 year FFP cycle next year Morris may go hit or bust the teams coming down next season don't look as if they will be as strong financially, although they have an advantage. This squad need 3 or 4 good additions and the deadwood clearing, a big job but not impossible next season if Morris gambles and I can't see as he will have any choice. Keep away from that Wesserman agency would be good advice and hope and pray Thorne can come back fit and firing.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22912
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 12:22 pm

Think he's been keeping a close eye on the team from a far..probably been listening to the talk ins no doubt he's been reading our forum LOL and probably even has a microwave oven strategically placed in pride park.
    So hopefully he was able to hit the ground running yesterday and maybe just maybe we will get players actually playing in their natural positions Fingers crossed

Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2287
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 12:32 pm

He played the 3-5-2/5-3-2 under TBE, could see him doing this with 3 at the back and attacking wing backs of Christie and anya and a front 2 of nugent/vydra midfield would be an interesting mix

Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 541
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 12:34 pm

New England Ram wrote:Think he's been keeping a close eye on the team from a far..probably been listening to the talk ins no doubt he's been reading our forum LOL and probably even has a microwave oven strategically placed in pride park.
    So hopefully he was able to hit the ground running yesterday and maybe just maybe we will get players actually playing in their natural positions Fingers crossed
    Can we work out an 11 of players playing in their 'natural positions' from what we currently have?

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

Jackal wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Think he's been keeping a close eye on the team from a far..probably been listening to the talk ins no doubt he's been reading our forum LOL and probably even has a microwave oven strategically placed in pride park.
    Can we work out an 11 of players playing in their 'natural positions' from what we currently have?

I'm not sure I can. I don't think we can play three centre halves cos we've only got three, so the back four is probably ok in terms of natural positions (though I'm sure Christie and Lowe could also play wing back, as could Anya). We've lots of central midfielders, but not really wide midfielders, and far too many forwards. We've a squad set up for 4-3-3, with a couple of exceptions (Vydra and Anya, of course).

So if we go 4-4-2, who plays wide midfield - Anya and Ince, with Nugent and Vydra up front? But I don't think that's Tom's natural position. We've seen Butterfield can't play wide midfield. Bryson? I don't know
    prideParkhead

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    First ever game : Derby 2 v 0 Liverpool 1975
    Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2011-01-08

Post by prideParkhead on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 2:39 pm

I like the cut of Rowett's jib. Of course only results on the pitch will ultimately determine whether he is deemed as being a sucess or not, but just hope that Mel allows him the scope to bring in the right blend of players and does not place unrealistic targets on him, such as winning the league next season. I imagine it will take at least one season to weed out the dross, of which there are many, during which time he can start building the foundations for a stable club. There will be disappointments along the way so patience will be needed.

One thing I would add is that I'm surprised that Derby managers are not on 1 year rolling contracts given our recent track record of dismissals!

COYR COYR COYR

Pray
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13320

Post by MadAmster on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

I doubt that he has been given a target of going up next season. SM, NP and PC weren't given that target. Promotion is the ultimate aim but, so far, Mel has never put a time frame on it. I don't think he will start now either. Just look for improvement in performances, some entertainment value, Academy players being given a chance and some success result-wise......

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 3:45 pm

Jackal wrote:

No but you get it as close as you possibly can.
    With maybe one player out of position as opposed to three or four .

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5:01 pm

Results will define him but he seems like a really down to earth regular lad (as you should be) wonder if fans will take to him a bit more because of that.
    Nigel was a little dour ..McClaren a little smarmy.
    Clement awkward and boring and Pearson somewhat miserable.
    Rowett on the other hand very down to earth..obviously as I said who cares what they are like we only really care about results but I wonder if his demeanor and manner buys him more patience from fans..and chairman !!!

rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 1897
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5:16 pm

at least give him until the end of next season - I wonder what the odds on that are...
    CornwallRam

Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

Rowett is the least unpopular manager we've appointed since, er, Paul Jewell. But moving swiftly on, my point is that whilst Rowett might not have been everybody's 1st choice. He was on most people's 'short list' and there's pretty much no hostility or outright negativity.

I reckon he has a great opportunity now. Most fans can see the need for a rebuild and all but the very stupid ones will be pretty patient. The specter of McClaren's 'Derby Way' has been exorcized, so he won't have an unrealistic yardstick there to fail against - with either the fans or the owner. Mel an Sam won't want to appear ridiculous, so I would expect them to give Rowett more time to turn things around than previous incumbents got.

I reckon that Gary Rowett has been dealt a very fortunate hand.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4219
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

CornwallRam wrote:Rowett is the least unpopular manager we've appointed since, er, Paul Jewell. But moving swiftly on, my point is that whilst Rowett might not have been everybody's 1st choice. He was on most people's 'short list' and there's pretty much no hostility or outright negativity.

I reckon he has a great opportunity now. Most fans can see the need for a rebuild and all but the very stupid ones will be pretty patient. The specter of McClaren's 'Derby Way' has been exorcized, so he won't have an unrealistic yardstick there to fail against - with either the fans or the owner. Mel an Sam won't want to appear ridiculous, so I would expect them to give Rowett more time to turn things around than previous incumbents got.

Corny, me and the boss were just saying something similar.
    Some people have that serendipitous way about them, and fate just seemingly plays along.

Well I hope we have at last found someone to settle this club down and get on with playing football.

I hate all this intrigue and in-fighting, lets all take a deep breath calm down and move on.

I am heartily sick of it now, all I want is to think about the next game, and win/lose/draw, just for once it will be nice if we dont have to over analyze it.

Course it will be nice to win, but I am not gonna rave if we dont.

Suppose the reddog neighbours will but heigh-ho they are a bunch of knuckle draggers anyway.

COYR Down with Forest

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

We need some luck and some good judgement.
    Let's face it if it really boiled down to money and the manager then surely Man City should be winning everything in sight.
    We have been amongst the forgotten ones for a good while now.
    But let's face it many others have sunk way more than us and show no signs what so ever of coming back.
    It's all about the balance Gary...along with some character.

rob

Post by rob on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:32 am

some went lower and bounced back better - see Southampton
    Angus1

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:51 am

CornwallRam wrote:Rowett is the least unpopular manager we've appointed since, er, Paul Jewell. But moving swiftly on, my point is that whilst Rowett might not have been everybody's 1st choice. He was on most people's 'short list' and there's pretty much no hostility or outright negativity.

If he is Mel's mate as reported he starts in a better place, if he has a free hand more manager role then that will help him.

Jewell was an inevitable disaster from day one the worst manager we have ever had, Rowett is much more capable but he starts in a difficult position, with players on long contracts and huge wages he can't afford to keep on financially or football wise, he will get a decent honeymoon period but the finger will soon get pointed next season if we don't do well. Too many people expect us to get promoted and the think the club and team are better and stronger than they really are.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:05 am

rob wrote:some went lower and bounced back better - see Southampton

Yep they are probably the outstanding exception.

CornwallRam

Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:20 am

New England Ram wrote:

I'm sure that there's another example. Maybe a bit closer than Southampton. I seem to remember some jug eared ex-player turned presenter getting excited about them for some reason.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 2:10 pm

CornwallRam wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

I'm sure that there's another example. Maybe a bit closer than Southampton. I seem to remember some jug eared ex-player turned presenter getting excited about them for some reason.

Oh I forgot about those clowns.

rob

Post by rob on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

they did it through robbery - they should be in division 4
    old ewe

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 5:53 pm

He is in a similar place to Nigel when he started.........lots of expensive unwanted players to get rid of and a club to rebuild .It could again cost a lot of the money available to pay up long expensive contracts. .... not to mention the numbers in the LOST column if we do manage to sell them on.

Hopefully Gary and the Club will grow together and a long term partnership ensue. We need it !
    King Zak

Number of posts : 515
    Registration date : 2012-08-18

Post by King Zak on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 6:49 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:What I have yet to understand is that many coaches (both those with diplomas and those disguised as fans :-) ) appear to think that it is a digital choice. Playing the ball out from the back through the midfield or route 1 over the midfield.

Both are good tactics, why don't teams realise that you can use both in the same game?

We understand the concept Amster but I'd argue that before you do anything you have to have a working plan a. He needs to establish a way of playing using clear messages to the players, using players in their best positions. Surely only once this is functioning correctly can you begin to introduce more complicated in game changes.

Yes. However, these players should be able to play the passing game and the long ball game without the need for the gaffer to define plan A, B, C etc.

It's simply a matter of knowing that the various players are at this minute in a position where, if I give a 50 yard pass into the inside right channel, it will get there at the same moment as the striker who has just started his run and the midfield are in a position, and are ready, to back him up.

Similarly, everybody could be covered so I choose the short or medium length pass in whichever direction seems the best option............

I know I could do it back in the day, you could, Chaz could and probably so might several others on here have been able to. I got as far as Burton & District League Division 1 but wasn't good enough to even get offers of a trial with a League club. If it wasn't for arthritis in both knees I could probably still play those passes today. As could you, Chaz et al. We will have chosen the short/medium/long ball that best suited the position at that time.

IMO today's tactics based game seems to have robbed a lot of them of the ability to think and act for themselves.

.... and don't get me started on the one footed wonders...... everybody has a weaker foot but we seem to have 3/4 of a team or more who seem frightened to use the weaker foot. Solution to that is hard work every afternoon....... and we all know that aint going to happen.

COYR!!!

Hit the nail on the head. We all want a free-flowing passing game, but the problem has been there's not been any variety or surprise in our play, allowing other teams to work us out. If they know we're only ever going to pass it short, and that we will always turn backwards to try to retain possession, they anticipate that and overrun us.

If we will sometimes play a longer ball, or move forward quickly rather than passing it from side to side across the back, then the opposition can't risk pressing us in the same way.

Footballers should know this for themselves, but since Clement they seem stuck in the same tedious mindset, leaving themselves open to any opposition that works us out, and not good enough to maintain the ball that way and break teams down.

Rowett will be judged by peformances and results, but if his talk was how he was assessed, he'd walk the league. He's been flawless so far and I hope he's able to live up to the excellent words.

Only a postman
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3904
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 9:22 am

At least we have a bit of excitement again. With Mac in charge this season had petered out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:04 am