COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Kidology?

    Share
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13322
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 14862
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Kidology?

    Post by MadAmster on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:01 am

    Just a thought. Rowett bigging up JR. It is known that several clubs have shown interest in JR. Might Rowett merely be bigging him up to up the transfer fee?



    Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    avatar
    LeedsRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-07-21
    Points : 1496

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by LeedsRam on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:28 am

    I truly hope so, he is a waste of space. He is clueless and has no end product and hasn't been effective for a couple of years. Yes he works hard but one goal all season playing in that position is a pathetic return. If we want to get promoted we need someone far more effective with Russell as a back up. I have always thought he is far more effective when we are winning. No good when we need to open teams up. Anya strikes me as being the same, lots of good attributes but a poor final ball or shot.
    avatar
    ShardlowSheep

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3904
    Registration date : 2009-03-27
    Points : 4056
    Age : 38
    Location : Kilburn (I have moved from Shardlow)

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by ShardlowSheep on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:52 am

    I really hope so. Last night was so typical of a Johnny Russell performance - his work rate, tackling back and winning back possession was great. His shooting, crossing, heading, control in the penalty area and decision making with the ball were all appalling.
    I do wonder if Rowett thinks it is a confidence thing and by praising him may help his confidence and may improve his decision making.
    I hope Rowett is either trying to big him up to sell him on or just trying to improve his confidence in an attempt to improve him - because if Rowett actually thinks he is a good player I will find myself questioning Rowett's judgement with regards to what makes a good player and will be concerned about the type of player he is likely to recruit.
    avatar
    norfolkram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 497
    Registration date : 2014-11-19
    Points : 527
    Location : west norfolk

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by norfolkram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:58 am

    God i do hope he's blowing up Russells chuff because if he really means it I'm worried. Last night was Russell al over, endeavour but feck all else
    avatar
    Ram78

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2287
    Registration date : 2011-01-17
    Points : 2462
    Age : 38
    Location : Ilkeston

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by Ram78 on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm

    Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot



    Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3803
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by bramhallram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 7:49 pm

    Ram78 wrote:Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot

    If Rowett really is a big fan of Russell we should all start worrying about the kind of player he's going to try to sign in the summer.

    As others have said, Russell is a hard working player who nearly always gives 100%. Unfortunately, whether it's his shooting, passing or general awareness he has no quality end product.

    We'd have been out of sight by half time against QPR if he could finish better.

    .
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4295
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 5738
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by SawleyRam on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 11:44 am

    Wow! I think this is a record. It has taken 2 whole games for Rowett's football judgement to be questioned. Bang head
    avatar
    norfolkram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 497
    Registration date : 2014-11-19
    Points : 527
    Location : west norfolk

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by norfolkram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

    SawleyRam wrote:Wow! I think this is a record. It has taken 2 whole games for Rowett's football judgement to be questioned. Bang head

    Only because we played nottenham in the first Fight
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5649
    Age : 51
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 7:43 pm

    bramhallram wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot

    If Rowett really is a big fan of Russell we should all start worrying about the kind of player he's going to try to sign in the summer.

    As others have said, Russell is a hard working player who nearly always gives 100%. Unfortunately, whether it's his shooting, passing or general awareness he has no quality end product.

    We'd have been out of sight by half time against QPR if he could finish better.

    .


    He did have ONE quality end product BR.  Maybe just the one, but WHAT a one!!




    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19271

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by RRC on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 8:20 pm

    Stockport Ram wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot

    If Rowett really is a big fan of Russell we should all start worrying about the kind of player he's going to try to sign in the summer.

    As others have said, Russell is a hard working player who nearly always gives 100%. Unfortunately, whether it's his shooting, passing or general awareness he has no quality end product.

    We'd have been out of sight by half time against QPR if he could finish better.

    .


    He did have ONE quality end product BR.  Maybe just the one, but WHAT a one!!

    We'd have won that game anyway without Russell getting lucky for once.

    I'd settle for a footballer who could produce some decent end product consistently, not someone
    with one goal and zero assists this season and one screamer in four seasons. Russell has never
    looked as if he was becoming a consistent passer, crosser or scorer in his four seasons at Derby.
    It's a shame, because he is so keen, but he seems as limited and wasteful now as the day he arrived.



    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5649
    Age : 51
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 9:27 pm

    RRC wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot

    If Rowett really is a big fan of Russell we should all start worrying about the kind of player he's going to try to sign in the summer.

    As others have said, Russell is a hard working player who nearly always gives 100%. Unfortunately, whether it's his shooting, passing or general awareness he has no quality end product.

    We'd have been out of sight by half time against QPR if he could finish better.

    .


    He did have ONE quality end product BR.  Maybe just the one, but WHAT a one!!

    We'd have won that game anyway without Russell getting lucky for once.

    I'd settle for a footballer who could produce some decent end product consistently, not someone
    with one goal and zero assists this season and one screamer in four seasons. Russell has never
    looked as if he was becoming a consistent passer, crosser or scorer in his four seasons at Derby.
    It's a shame, because he is so keen, but he seems as limited and wasteful now as the day he arrived.

    0.29 Find me a better assist than this from a Rams player in the last four years.



    Bah humbug  !!  Wink
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1210
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1294
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by valakari on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 10:53 pm

    Been saying this for ages...it is a prerequisite to work hard...but this is his only asset apart from being a likeable lad. Shame but just not good enough.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19271

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by RRC on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

    Stockport Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot

    If Rowett really is a big fan of Russell we should all start worrying about the kind of player he's going to try to sign in the summer.

    As others have said, Russell is a hard working player who nearly always gives 100%. Unfortunately, whether it's his shooting, passing or general awareness he has no quality end product.

    We'd have been out of sight by half time against QPR if he could finish better.

    .


    He did have ONE quality end product BR.  Maybe just the one, but WHAT a one!!

    We'd have won that game anyway without Russell getting lucky for once.

    I'd settle for a footballer who could produce some decent end product consistently, not someone
    with one goal and zero assists this season and one screamer in four seasons. Russell has never
    looked as if he was becoming a consistent passer, crosser or scorer in his four seasons at Derby.
    It's a shame, because he is so keen, but he seems as limited and wasteful now as the day he arrived.

    0.29  Find me a better assist than this from a Rams player in the last four years.

    Bah humbug  !!  Wink

    That's just two good efforts - two matches in four years and
    heaven knows how many chances he's spurned in that time.

    Sorry, but it's not enough to make up for all the possession that he wastes, all the
    times he shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot, crosses to the
    nearest defender, and so on.



    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10981
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13327
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 11:27 pm

    Maybe it says something when despite a handful of experts on this forum finding fault in everything he does, 7 successive managers believe that offers enough to the team to keep picking him.

    He may not be the answer to our problems but until we have a better option I think that the fans should get behind him because he does contribute to the team. Talk of one or two positive contributions in four years is just embarrassingly stupid.
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5649
    Age : 51
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 7:32 am

    RRC wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Nah, in his interview he made it known that he's tried to sign JR 2-3 times in the past, think rowett is a big fan of the flying scot

    If Rowett really is a big fan of Russell we should all start worrying about the kind of player he's going to try to sign in the summer.

    As others have said, Russell is a hard working player who nearly always gives 100%. Unfortunately, whether it's his shooting, passing or general awareness he has no quality end product.

    We'd have been out of sight by half time against QPR if he could finish better.

    .


    He did have ONE quality end product BR.  Maybe just the one, but WHAT a one!!

    We'd have won that game anyway without Russell getting lucky for once.

    I'd settle for a footballer who could produce some decent end product consistently, not someone
    with one goal and zero assists this season and one screamer in four seasons. Russell has never
    looked as if he was becoming a consistent passer, crosser or scorer in his four seasons at Derby.
    It's a shame, because he is so keen, but he seems as limited and wasteful now as the day he arrived.

    0.29  Find me a better assist than this from a Rams player in the last four years.

    Bah humbug  !!  Wink

    That's just two good efforts - two matches in four years and
    heaven knows how many chances he's spurned in that time.

    Sorry, but it's not enough to make up for all the possession that he wastes, all the
    times he shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot, crosses to the
    nearest defender, and so on.

    Fair enough.  But they were rather good though, eh?  Thumbs up    I acknowledge and agree with all your sentiments about his wastefulness - I think I shouted his name three or four times in the first half, and all were in frustration - and its purely a gut thing, but I like what he brings to the team, rather than what he doesn't.

    Double standards on my part, when you think of Ince?  Perhaps so, but I did say brings to the "team".
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13322
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 14862
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by MadAmster on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:20 am

    JR does seem to divide the faithful. Overall he does a lot of good but, unfortunately for him, a lot of what he does is not what many expect of him. I have been one of those who has said that, in terms of goals, assists and good crosses/passes, he needs to improve. This season he has been particularly poor, especially when you look at previous seasons.

    His previous seasons have seen him in the top 4 and better of goal scorers and top 2 in assists. Maybe not enough of either to please everybody but enough, when complemented by his defensive work to warrant a place. As Loughie said, a plethora of (failed?) managers keep on picking him. Rowett has tried to sign him..... etc.

    I read an interview with him yesterday. He apologised for his performances this season. He hinted that there was a (private?) reason behind this but he wasn't about to air that in public. Not enough goals, not enough assists. he acknowledged that.

    He also runs down blind alleys or with his head down and makes wrong choices (my words not his) far more than usual this season.

    He appeared to be saying quite definitely that he hasn't been good enough this season and he intimated that, whatever the reason has been, he is now getting back to where he ought to be.

    Physical? Mental? Personal? We will probably never know. We probably shouldn't know. However, if he does regain his former level then he should get picked until we get someone in who beats the assists and goal tallies he had in previous seasons.

    Just 1 goal and 1 assist so far this season but over 4 seasons he has 44 goals/assists (26 and 18 resp.) in 157 games which is direct involvement in a goal every 3.5 games. Before this season it was 1 in 3.0. That is not a figure you could refer to as being ineffective. On the other hand we are all aware that it should have been a whole lot better.............. but then he would be in the PL not the SBC.

    Johnny Russell. An enigma that will divide opinion for very valid reasons. A refreshing enigma though. I mean, when did you last hear a player say "Johnny Russell says his performances this season have been "nowhere near acceptable" "

    Full story at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-forward-says-his-performances-have-been-nowhere-near-acceptable-this-season/story-30244129-detail/story.html#iKx7TgMdplCfzTpS.99



    Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4295
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 5738
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by SawleyRam on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 11:01 am

    Another thought occurred to me about Russell after reading 'Ammy's post.

    As in Friday's game many remarked on how Russell made 2 poor decisions when a goal looked on but in both of those situations Russell interceptions made those chances appear in the first place, in other words he made those chances himself, a fact more than a few fans failed to acknowledge.

    A high part of his value to the team is based on his ability to make those chances, better decision making would see Johnny playing at a the top level of football instead of the Championship!
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3803
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by bramhallram on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

    Refreshingly honest comments from Russell. No-one questions his energy and the effort he puts in for the team. What we need is for GR to work with him to improve the quality of his final pass and his finishing.

    .

    Sponsored content

    Re: Kidology?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:41 am