Rowett post-QPR match on Sky

KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 444
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Rowett post-QPR match on Sky

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 11:32 am

I thought that he did very well. As he did on RD when a co-commentator many year ago, he spoke calmly and with much sense. He was respectful to Chris Powell (standing next to him) and gave a fair assessment of the game whilst protecting his players.

Regarding players staying / going; it was interesting that he mentioned the lack of a commanding (tall) player to sort things out towards the end of games. He obviously rates Russell (said that has tried to sign him two or three times), rated Johnson (best player on the pitch), was positive about the energy.

From this, my guess is that he sees Johnson as captain material, will bring a big CH and will keep the hard working players such as Vydra, Bryson, Anya, Russell, Nugent.

Bent and Ince don't see to fit. He made no mention of Keogh or Pearce.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Rowett post-QPR match on Sky

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 11:55 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:I thought that he did very well. As he did on RD when a co-commentator many year ago, he spoke calmly and with much sense. He was respectful to Chris Powell (standing next to him) and gave a fair assessment of the game whilst protecting his players.

Regarding players staying / going; it was interesting that he mentioned the lack of a commanding (tall) player to sort things out towards the end of games. He obviously rates Russell (said that has tried to sign him two or three times), rated Johnson (best player on the pitch), was positive about the energy.

From this, my guess is that he sees Johnson as captain material, will bring a big CH and will keep the hard working players such as Vydra, Bryson, Anya, Russell, Nugent.

I hoped my inference on this point was not alone. We need two new centre halves - Pearce lost Smith late on, and the corner when they hit the post was a joke.

I have been warming to Ince with his improved desire but was only thinking that better TEAM performances like last night rarely coinicide with his outstanding games - This is not a criticism of him, merely my belief that he tends to play well when a star attraction - SM virtually fed everything through him, and when he wasn't on song, neither were Derby.  Good teams have more than one option - last night we had three or four.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2287
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm

In the interview he mentioned how he told Ince to float between the wing and the 10 in the 2nd half and that's how he created the goal, at the minute we've got vydra, Ince, Russell, and when fit Blackman who all want the 10 position, and I also think Hughes should be tried there too
    It'll be an interesting summer

Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 497
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

KeoghKeogh wrote:I thought that he did very well. As he did on RD when a co-commentator many year ago, he spoke calmly and with much sense. He was respectful to Chris Powell (standing next to him) and gave a fair assessment of the game whilst protecting his players.

If he does see Johnson as captain material hopefully he can give interviews post match without sounding like a complete bellend, something Keogh cant do.
    KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 3:43 pm

Ram78 wrote:In the interview he mentioned how he told Ince to float between the wing and the 10 in the 2nd half and that's how he created the goal, at the minute we've got vydra, Ince, Russell, and when fit Blackman who all want the 10 position, and I also think Hughes should be tried there too
    It'll be an interesting summer

I took from GR's comments regarding Ince that he basically told him to do a bit more. I blow moderately hot and very cold about Ince. That said, he improved significantly under SMC despite (still) not linking with the defense-minded Baird.

I don't think that GR will stick with Ince unless he puts in a much more consistent effort to get in the game that he did v QPR.
    KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

norfolkram wrote:

If he does see Johnson as captain material hopefully he can give interviews post match without sounding like a complete bellend, something Keogh cant do.

IMHO Hughes has the eloquence and intelligence, Russell the humour, Anya the enthusiasm and Johnson has the honesty - whereas Keogh has the spin.
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 4:25 pm

Ince (possibly Carson aside) has carried Derby all season. Him and Vydra would grace any championship team, how people can't recognise Ince's contribution and importance to this team is beyond me.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 6:59 pm

purpleram wrote:Ince (possibly Carson aside) has carried Derby all season. Him and Vydra would grace any championship team, how people can't recognise Ince's contribution and importance to this team is beyond me.

Has Ince ever performed consistently in a promoted/succesful team?  Has Keogh?

He has been our best player this season (Ince, that is, not CC obviously), but we need options, not just him.

Yesterday was the first time we played like a team in a long, long time, and Ince played his part.  If he can keep that up I'd be happy fo him to be in the team, but somehow I don't think he will fit into GR's culture.  Due to his performances in the last couple of months, I almost hope I'm wrong, because he has certainly added more to his game defensively, and begun to link up better.

My personal view is that I trust GR to use the net sale proceeds of Ince and Keogh to buy two decent centre backs and give him time to see if Martin can do enough as the "big man" up front to which he refers. Anya would almost certainly provide plenty of bullets for him with his excellent crosses.

The acid test will be how the entire bunch perform in August/September - that's when it will become more apparent.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 8:10 pm

GR interviews well. He was impressive in the press conference after he took the job, and he was relaxed and informative after the QPR game. Unlike Holloway he doesn't repeat himself a dozen times.

It's very early days but I'm liking what he says and the way he says it.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 8:26 pm

purpleram wrote:Ince (possibly Carson aside) has carried Derby all season. Him and Vydra would grace any championship team, how people can't recognise Ince's contribution and importance to this team is beyond me.
    I agree entirely. The only thing that stops Tom Ince is Cyrus Christie. When Christie plays he takes up too much of Ince's space and Ince has to track back too often. Ince is quality going forward and Christie should stick to defending and giving Ince the ball at every available opportunity.  Chris Baird is ideal for Tom Ince. 

Anyway, I like Tom Ince and will be voting for him as my player of the year.

Last edited by chicken on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 8:27 pm

As regards next season, we need two centre halves. I said this at the start of this season. We will go nowhere with Keogh. We desperately need a new captain.
    KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:26 pm

seriously? - you're kidding right? 'Ince has carried Derby all season' - what, even when his effort was so poor he wasn't even getting selected?

He's been excellent in patches - mainly under SMC, but he has also been below par too often.

He flitted into and out of the game v QPR. To say that he carried Derby in that game is deluded. To say that he carried Derby all season is just complete nonsense.
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 8:28 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:

seriously? - you're kidding right? 'Ince has carried Derby all season' - what, even when his effort was so poor he wasn't even getting selected?

He's been excellent in patches - mainly under SMC, but he has also been below par too often.

He flitted into and out of the game v QPR. To say that he carried Derby in that game is deluded. To say that he carried Derby all season is just complete nonsense.

I never said he has been great every match, but take away Inces goals and assists we would be in the relegation zone.
    SMC has gone, he should never have come back, he was/is a failure, stop grasping at straws suggesting anything different.

The QPR game was one of the few we have played as a team so Ince became one of the team rather than 'if he doesn't score or create no-one else will'. The fact his build up play was crucial to the winner obviously passed you by.
    Why some of our fans take against certain players and then wilfully ignore anything positive about them is lost on me, but you will say white is black rather than change your mind whatever the evidence.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13322
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 11:02 am

Ince is on his way IMO. Look at the aftermath of Vydra's goal, set up by Ince's initial shot. The ball hit the back of the net. the team ran one way, Ince trotted off in the opposite direction............

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 1:17 pm

purpleram wrote:
    KeoghKeogh wrote:

I never said he has been great every match, but take away Inces goals and assists we would be in the relegation zone.
    SMC has gone, he should never have come back, he was/is a failure, stop grasping at straws suggesting anything different.

The QPR game was one of the few we have played as a team so Ince became one of the team rather than 'if he doesn't score or create no-one  else will'. The fact his build up play was crucial to the winner obviously passed you by.
    Why some of our fans take against certain players and then wilfully ignore anything positive about them is lost on me, but you will say white is black rather than change your mind whatever the evidence.

just a thought mate - maybe read my post before you blast off more of your usual garbage?

I'll save you the effort

I said 'He's been excellent in patches'. I'm not sure how this is me 'wilfully ignore anything positive about them'.

I have no views about SMC in particular other than those based on his performances. He was successful in the first part of time with us then woeful towards the end.. actually, that's the same for both periods.

In previous posts I have said that Ince is premiership quality (after the LCFC cup game). He clearly is. But I don't agree with your post that he has 'carried Derby all season'

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 2:37 pm

MadAmster wrote:Ince is on his way IMO. Look at the aftermath of Vydra's goal, set up by Ince's initial shot. The ball hit the back of the net. the team ran one way, Ince trotted off in the opposite direction............

Rowett has already sussed him then.

Just watched it again - great spot by Ammy. It says everything you need to know about Ince as a team player.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 3:16 pm

MadAmster wrote:Ince is on his way IMO. Look at the aftermath of Vydra's goal, set up by Ince's initial shot. The ball hit the back of the net. the team ran one way, Ince trotted off in the opposite direction............

Notice Vydra got the call on one of the free kicks first half and not Ince.
    Also one of the first times he's been subbed for a while isn't it ?
    That said I'm not sure I would read anything into his walking away from the celebration today's footballer is all about the image and being different.

For what my opinion is worth I think Ince has had a decent season and has been one of our biggest threats to the opposition most of the season.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1210
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 11:08 pm

When Bent came on I screamed, 'why'. My Mrs said I went a strange red colour and that she had never seen me so angry. When I got home I played the game back on Sky...looking for who let Sylla have the free header by leaving him unmarked....it was indeed the offside King Darren himself....proved me right...but FFS Gary, Sort it out now ...we don't want that man on the pitch again. I'd rather blood Mason Bennett or Elsnick than play Bent again...seriously...i mean let's face it..he won't be here next season  anyway.
    Rowett said it was a problem..hope he sees that..and Baird and Pearce both leaving men free at Forest and v QPR
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 7:25 am

valakari wrote:When Bent came on I screamed, 'why'. My Mrs said I went a strange red colour and that she had never seen me so angry. When I got home I played the game back on Sky...looking for who let Sylla have the free header by leaving him unmarked....it was indeed the offside King Darren himself....proved me right...but FFS Gary, Sort it out now ...we don't want that man on the pitch again. I'd rather blood Mason Bennett or Elsnick than play Bent again...seriously...i mean let's face it..he won't be here next season  anyway.
    Rowett said it was a problem..hope he sees that..and Baird and Pearce both leaving men free at Forest and v QPR

Absolutely. Bent or Martin at defensive corners. Discuss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:42 am