a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Next season

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13340
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Next season

Post by MadAmster on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

Good keeper, improved back 4, Hopefully BJ and GT as the 2 DMs, decent cover for all positions and we are set up at the back.

What about the rest?

Wide men need looking at. I'd like to see us use a righty and a lefty and have them continually swapping sides to keep the opp full backs on their toes. I'd also love to see them able to go down the outside on both sides and cross with either foot. IMO they probably already can but don't have the confidence in the poorer foot to try it in a match. The solution is easy. Get them practicing it daily after lunch at Moor Farm so that they become confident enough to practise it in the game. Work there for whoever it is. First choice at the moment seem to be JR and Ince with Camara and others as cover. Will that still be so come August? I would hope that, by then, we had replaced them if they can't trust their wrong foot. Knockaert would be a great choice but he will be in the PL with BHA.

That leaves two places, the #9 and #10 roles. We could go horses for courses on this. Nugent and Vydra against teams where the best option is through the channels and over the top for teams that defend high. For teams that defend deep Martin and Hughes. Problem there being I can't see at least 3 of the 4 being happy with about 50% starts and the rest on the bench.

Still, making those decisions is why Rowett gets paid a lot.

Lots of players to be moved on and some to be brought in. Looking forward to it.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 542
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Re: Next season

Post by Jackal on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:41 pm

Don't forget there is still to be a cull of players. It's ok the higher-ups declaring what they want in terms of squad numbers, but we may not shift all those we want to shift, our incoming targets may cost more than we planned etc....so we may be forced to sell someone we don't necessarily want to sell. It will be interesting to see how strictly this squad re-structuring is actually enforced next season.

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13340
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:44 pm

Read my last but one sentence............

Amster wrote:Lots of players to be moved on and some to be brought in.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4298
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 1:48 pm

Jackal wrote:Don't forget there is still to be a cull of players. It's ok the higher-ups declaring what they want in terms of squad numbers, but we may not shift all those we want to shift, our incoming targets may cost more than we planned etc....so we may be forced to sell someone we don't necessarily want to sell. It will be interesting to see how strictly this squad re-structuring is actually enforced next season.

I can't recall reading anywhere that the complete trimming of the squad is going to happen in one window Jackal. Dunno
    Jackal

Post by Jackal on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    Jackal wrote:Don't forget there is still to be a cull of players. It's ok the higher-ups declaring what they want in terms of squad numbers, but we may not shift all those we want to shift, our incoming targets may cost more than we planned etc....so we may be forced to sell someone we don't necessarily want to sell. It will be interesting to see how strictly this squad re-structuring is actually enforced next season.

I can't recall reading anywhere that the complete trimming of the squad is going to happen in one window Jackal. Dunno
    Good point

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    Jackal

Post by Jackal on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 2:09 pm

MadAmster wrote:Read my last but one sentence............

Amster wrote:Lots of players to be moved on and some to be brought in.
    My point here was that one or more of the players you've mentioned to keep, may need to be sold if our sales strategy (getting rid of dead wood) doesn't work out as planned. Unless the proposed numbers of high earners/average earners/loans/youth players for next season is merely a target to strive for and not a mandate. And yes, i had read all your post.

rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4221
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

I get heartily fed up with hearing "players to fit the system" and suchlike

Football is a game where the intention is to score more goals than your opponent, not bore them and the crowd to death.

We are fortunate to have some of the best players in this league and given some rein they will beat most teams, there will however be some losses as we get it wrong against some teams, this I expect and it will be a blip instead of a long run of losses, because the opposing teams have sussed our "system"

Style is the keyword here and by playing in a cavalier fashion for the most part you can easily change and confuse the opposition.
    If all you do when you get the ball is knock it about, then you are not going to get anywhere.

I hope this free flowing style continues it is very exciting to watch and suddenly there is a loud roar from the South Stand as the crowd get involved, and the players are wanting a piece of the action and have a spring in their step.

As for next season, lets finish this one first and see who can actually play a bit given the opportunity

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    Jackal

Post by Jackal on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

rjrules71 wrote:I get heartily fed up with hearing "players to fit the system" and suchlike

Football is a game where the intention is to score more goals than your opponent, not bore them and the crowd to death.

We are fortunate to have some of the best players in this league and given some rein they will beat most teams, there will however be some losses as we get it wrong against some teams, this I expect and it will be a blip instead of a long run of losses, because the opposing teams have sussed our "system"

Style is the keyword here and by playing in a cavalier fashion for the most part you can easily change and confuse the opposition.
    If all you do when you get the ball is knock it about, then you are not going to get anywhere.

I hope this free flowing style continues it is very exciting to watch and suddenly there is a loud roar from the South Stand as the crowd get involved, and the players are wanting a piece of the action and have a spring in their step.

As for next season, lets finish this one first and see who can actually play a bit given the opportunity
    I agree that with the players we have at the club, the team should be able to express themselves more freely than under the previous regime. Obviously the defence needs shoring up (especially defending high crosses into the box) and we'll still need a bit more bite in midfield. The games since Rowett joining have been more pleasing on the eye, this will help get more bums on seats, will help sell more merchandise and the players should enjoy it more. It should also stop the fans getting on the players' backs during games and the players returning the favour through social media. I still feel Rowett will have a lot of decisions yet to make between now and the end of the season regarding who he'd want to move on and who he'd like to keep for next season. I can see it being a very difficult choice for him when he has to take into account finances,form,injuries,player wishes and his own personal wishes.

thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4253
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 5:50 pm

My working theory is that Hughes has been earmarked to be sold, which is a large part of the reason he find himself on the bench - see if we can play decently without.
    Jackal

Post by Jackal on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 6:21 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:My working theory is that Hughes has been earmarked to be sold, which is a large part of the reason he find himself on the bench - see if we can play decently without.
    You could be onto something there. It would be a massive shame to see him go but if it's the right time for all parties concerned then que sera.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 1:08 pm