COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Smaller squad = less pressure for the manager ?

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22922
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Smaller squad = less pressure for the manager ?

Post by New England Ram on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 2:09 am

With all the talk that is coming from the club regarding carrying a trimmed down squad next year I wonder if that will ease some of the expectations on Rowett and if so will that decrease some of the pressures that seemed to pile up on the previous three managers.

Even though most of us know the squad was and is flawed spending the money that we did did increase and exaggerate expectations from the owner and the fans.

If we manage to trim the squad and get rid of some of the deadwood will expectations be a little lower and the atmosphere around the club a little less intense?

Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Re: Smaller squad = less pressure for the manager ?

Post by Mitten State Ram on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 3:45 am

There's certainly more pressure when you spend. It's one thing to watch a player drift around sucking air when you know you picked him up on a free transfer, but when a multi-million pound signing from, say, Huddersfield Town, does it, that just makes fans irate in a hurry.

More importantly for me, though, is the cohesion factor. We've never been better as a team in the last ten years than when McClaren in 2013-14 temporarily injected some belief into a core squad of about 16 players who enjoyed playing together and whom Clough had carefully assembled for their ability to compliment one another's talents.

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10996
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

Rowett touched on this yesterday, he said that with everybody fit we have a squad of about 29 which everybody will agree is too many when you can only pick a matchday squad of 16. He said that keeping that many players happy when they aren't playing is impossible and it affects the bond.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4300
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:24 am

New England Ram wrote:With all the talk that is coming from the club regarding carrying a trimmed down squad next year I wonder if that will ease some of the expectations on Rowett and if so will that decrease some of the pressures that seemed to pile up on the previous three managers.

Even though most of us know the squad was and is flawed spending the money that we did did increase and exaggerate expectations from the owner and the fans.

If we manage to trim the squad and get rid of some of the deadwood will expectations be a little lower and the atmosphere around the club a little less intense?

Whilst a smaller squad might help the real pressure comes from performances, or should I say non-performances on the field of play.

Winning will always relieve pressure whilst losing demoralises and deflates and levels of expectation drops.

That's where a good manager comes in imparting the right tactics to players that gives them a chance of winning the match therefore keeping them happy also keeping fans happy because of the endeavour shown by the players.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13349
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:15 am

We need a squad smaller than 29, that is a given. I would look for 23. 2 players for each of the outfield places and 3 keepers.

Half a dozen of those should be Academy products as per the recently reported new plan.

Mitten...... you say 16 man matchday squad. Is it being reduced from 18 next season?

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1217
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 12:11 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote: Rowett touched on this yesterday, he said that with everybody fit we have a squad of about 29 which everybody will agree is too many when you can only pick a match day squad of 16. He said that keeping that many players happy when they aren't playing is impossible and it affects the bond.
    Think its still 18 match day squad...i personally think we need a 25 man squad..the same as the premier league...and hopefully, after brexit, we can limit this to 5 foreign players only per squad and 3 per match day squad...like it used to be!
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm

I think a smaller squad will be easier to manage, but no less pressure, only winning relieves pressure.
    It's a results game after all.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22922
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:30 pm

purpleram wrote:I think a smaller squad will be easier to manage, but no less pressure, only winning relieves pressure.
    It's a results game after all.

Yeah it is but if we are chugging along around seventh or eighth and not particularly threatening to go up but playing decent stuff and being competitive I think there less grumbling from fans and owner if the squad is made up with a few youngsters and a few less fat cats.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 11:45 am