Mackworth lad who made good.

Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1095
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Mackworth lad who made good.

Post by Sydney Smooth on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 4:10 pm

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/15196243.Former_Morton_hero_believes_Duffy_should_be_in_running_for_top_award/

Roy was working behind the bar at the White Horse when I signed him for my Sunday team Olympiads, he was so good that the club I was chairman of [Roe Farm] signed him up as well, the Scots came to see him and the rest is history, he played for Morton [twice], Celtic, Hibernian and St Johnstone.

After his playing days were over he coached a number of teams and he now has a very successful property development/renting business near Edinburgh.

A smashing lad who deserved to get on in his career.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23022
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Mackworth lad who made good.

Post by New England Ram on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 4:12 pm

Thought this thread was about me Embarassed

bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3634
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

Sydney Smooth wrote:http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/15196243.Former_Morton_hero_believes_Duffy_should_be_in_running_for_top_award/

Roy was working behind the bar at the White Horse when I signed him for my Sunday team Olympiads, he was so good that the club I was chairman of [Roe Farm] signed him up as well, the Scots came to see him and the rest is history, he played for Morton [twice], Celtic, Hibernian and St Johnstone.

After his playing days were over he coached a number of teams and he now has a very successful property development/renting business near Edinburgh.

A smashing lad who deserved to get on in his career.

You're right, Sydney. Roy was a smashing lad. He and I played in the same junior school football team (Humbleton Junior School) in the 1960/61 season. I was what was then known as right half and Roy played out of goal at inside right. He was a brilliant goalie but he was much too talented to just play in goal at that level.

Our sports master wrote on Roy's annual report that he was 'An outstanding sportsman.' He was very proud of that and it was true in every sense.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:12 am