rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4267
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

crossing the line ????

Post by rjrules71 on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 6:29 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39578985

Here it comes, I think it is a big step forward myself others may not??
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15797
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Re: crossing the line ????

Post by RRC on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:46 am

I agree - if only it had been around when Mr Atwell refereed our match against the trees.

Perhaps the officials can concentrate on all the shirt-pulling, pushing and shoving at corners now.

If they do, some defenders will have to learn to mark properly - or retire.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4453
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:51 am

rjrules71 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39578985

Here it comes, I think it is a big step forward myself others may not??

I agree it is a step in the right direction rj but I think we should go further with technology as they have in Rugby which would cut out the poor refereeing decisions and the player cheating in an instant.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13740
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 9:59 am

I applaud the move. Next one has to be using it for offside as that is impossible to police properly by humans.

I understand the fear many have about "disturbing the flow of a game and some abusing calls to run the clock down. However, if you cap Managers to 2 failed appeals per half and stop the clock while the video ref is checking the footage, you will have few halts in the game and Managers won't waste their ration on spurious incidents.

The ref should also be allowed to ask for video help when in doubt.

Using video properly will cut out most refereeing errors and stop players cheating. Not a bad outcome.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5305
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 10:11 am

As cheating proliferates every aspect of the game I once loved, anything to reduce it is welcome.
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10240
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 12:33 pm

In favour of goal line technology but not so keen on it for other parts of the game

Rugby and cricket have natural breaks in play that allows for the use of videos that football doesn't necessarily have.

How do you stop play, how do you restart? Even with the modern technology some offsides are to difficult to call.Surely we can't bring it in to check if a forward was millimetres beyond the defender

I could possibly agree with it if the fourth official can see an obvious error has occurred beyond doubt

I would never be in favour of managers being allowed to challenge decisions whether you give them a limited number

Imagine this scenario. Rams v Scum 0 - 0 less than 5 minutes to play, Scum on the attack and rams defender clears the ball downfield to our striker who is clean through , play gets halted to see if the forward is offside (at the request of Forest manager), proved to be onside so we restart with a drop ball. Would anyone be happy???
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 654
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 3:04 pm

It's only been working in ice hockey for several hundred years already. Maybe they should fanny about and think about it for another couple of decades.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:In favour of goal line technology but not so keen on it for other parts of the game

Rugby and cricket have natural breaks in play that allows for the use of videos that football doesn't necessarily have.

How do you stop play, how do you restart? Even with the modern technology some offsides are to difficult to call.Surely we can't bring it in to check if a forward was millimetres beyond the defender

I could possibly agree with it if the fourth official can see an obvious error has occurred beyond doubt

I would never be in favour of managers being allowed to challenge decisions whether you give them a limited number

Imagine this scenario. Rams v Scum 0 - 0  less than 5 minutes to play, Scum on the attack and rams defender clears the ball downfield to our striker who is clean through , play gets halted to see if the forward is offside (at the request of Forest manager), proved to be onside so we restart with a drop ball. Would anyone be happy???

Play on to the next natural break. In the scenario quoted the Tree Hugger wouldn't really challenge until we scored...... Play has already stopped due to us scoring so the offside can be checked.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:In favour of goal line technology but not so keen on it for other parts of the game

Imagine this scenario. Rams v Scum 0 - 0  less than 5 minutes to play, Scum on the attack and rams defender clears the ball downfield to our striker who is clean through , play gets halted to see if the forward is offside (at the request of Forest manager), proved to be onside so we restart with a drop ball. Would anyone be happy???

Play on to the next natural break. In the scenario quoted the Tree Hugger wouldn't really challenge until we scored...... Play has already stopped due to us scoring so the offside can be checked.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6256

Post by CornwallRam on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 6:55 pm

I quite like the idea of goal line technology, but will it make the game better?

Further, do we actually want to eradicate all refereeing mistakes?

I've thought about this a lot and come to the conclusion that they are part of the game and add to the drama of football. Football is not just about watching finely tuned athletes strive for perfection. It's sport, but also entertainment. It's the drama we all thrive on and discus for many years afterwards.

My footballing memories would be diminished without Franny Lee thumping Norman Hunter. Dropping into Division 3 and rising again to the top half of the First Division was fantastic, but it needed the former to make the latter feel special. We cherish the De-Forestation day, but that is made sweeter by memories of that pantomime villain, Stuart Atwell.

Let's not sanitise football into oblivion.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23100
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:28 pm

Goal line technology has worked fine as far as I can see.
    Just a uninterrupted confirmation as to if the ball has crossed the line or not.
    As for any other technology being involved a massive no from me.
    I thought the two examples of decisions being reversed through technology in the recent international games were horrible.
    Too much standing around..give me drama and controversy every day in football..I don't want perfect faceless decisions.
    The game today is already too slow for me with all the over passing that goes on...I would rather add another ref or a couple of linesman than relying on technology.

rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4267
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:32 pm

CornwallRam wrote:I quite like the idea of goal line technology, but will it make the game better?

Further, do we actually want to eradicate all refereeing mistakes?

I've thought about this a lot and come to the conclusion that they are part of the game and add to the drama of football. Football is not just about watching finely tuned athletes strive for perfection. It's sport, but also entertainment. It's the drama we all thrive on and discus for many years afterwards.

My footballing memories would be diminished without Franny Lee thumping Norman Hunter. Dropping into Division 3 and rising again to the top half of the First Division was fantastic, but it needed the former to make the latter feel special. We cherish the De-Forestation day, but that is made sweeter by memories of that pantomime villain, Stuart Atwell.

Let's not sanitise football into oblivion.

I agree with this sentiment, I think the game would be the poorer for the lack of decisions during the game, but I also think a goal is a goal as with rugby where a try is a try.
    They are not always obvious to the human eye and this technology is virtually infallible.
    Goals change games and therefore I fully subscribe to this.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4453
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:17 pm

The cheats and the not so good match day officials have already sanitised (see post 10 by CornwallRam) this great game by cheating and incompetence and if that could be minimised we would be talking about this pass or that goal and the football in general instead of cheating players and result affecting wrong decisions by officials.

The game stops for a greater period of time if a side disagrees with a with a refereeing decision by players surrounding therefore trying to intimidate the man in the middle with face to face confrontations ala Man U, Chelsea and Man City (and other brand names as well) so a possibly shorter stoppage for video guidance would not be as intrusive to the game.

The cheats and weak officials have had their day now and it's time to man up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 1:13 pm