COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Players you'd like to keep

Poll

Which first team squad players would you keep?

[ 30 ]
    7% [7%] 
    [ 8 ]
    2% [2%] 
    [ 24 ]
    6% [6%] 
    [ 5 ]
    1% [1%] 
    [ 8 ]
    2% [2%] 
    [ 13 ]
    3% [3%] 
    [ 19 ]
    5% [5%] 
    [ 22 ]
    5% [5%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 17 ]
    4% [4%] 
    [ 18 ]
    4% [4%] 
    [ 8 ]
    2% [2%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 4 ]
    1% [1%] 
    [ 29 ]
    7% [7%] 
    [ 5 ]
    1% [1%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 26 ]
    6% [6%] 
    [ 22 ]
    5% [5%] 
    [ 30 ]
    7% [7%] 
    [ 2 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 13 ]
    3% [3%] 
    [ 22 ]
    5% [5%] 
    [ 15 ]
    4% [4%] 
    [ 6 ]
    1% [1%] 
    [ 13 ]
    3% [3%] 
    [ 9 ]
    2% [2%] 
    [ 13 ]
    3% [3%] 
    [ 5 ]
    1% [1%] 
    [ 11 ]
    3% [3%] 
    [ 4 ]
    1% [1%] 
    [ 12 ]
    3% [3%] 
    [ 5 ]
    1% [1%] 

Total Votes: 419
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Players you'd like to keep

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 10:41 pm

This is the full squad listed by roster number in ascending order, taken from the club website.

We've talked about this in no end of different ways, but I'm curious to see it by the numbers. There's no limit to how many you can name, but suppose we're starting over from scratch--which current squad players would you be sad to see go and wouldn't release if you were the gaffer?

And I just realised that Chris Martin isn't listed on the club website, of course, so I forgot to include him. I can't see how to edit the poll once published. Can I do that? If not, add his name to my 'keep' list. I wouldn't release anyone in the squad but Will Hughes more reluctantly than Martin.

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Re: Players you'd like to keep

Post by RRC on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:24 am

MSR, you could have edited your post, but I've done it for you to save explaining how.

I've added Martin along with Craig Bryson, plus the four other players who are
    out on loan -- Rawson, Guy, Hanson and Weimann -- for completeness.

I changed the title to 'keep' rather than 'keep/offload' so it's clearer what we're voting for,
    assuming the votes cast are for players to keep, given the lack of votes for Blackman and Bent.

Btw De Sart is Boro's player but I suppose someone might want to sign him.

When they're listed like that (33 names), you can see why Rowett thinks the squad is much too big.
    I'd guess that at least half will have to go if he wants to bring in players and reduce our losses under FFP.

Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 2:16 am

RRC wrote:MSR, you could have edited your post, but I've done it for you to save explaining how.

I've added Martin along with Craig Bryson, plus the four other players who are
    out on loan -- Rawson, Guy, Hanson and Weimann -- for completeness.

I changed the title to 'keep' rather than 'keep/offload' so it's clearer what we're voting for,
    assuming the votes cast are for players to keep, given the lack of votes for Blackman and Bent.

Btw De Sart is Boro's player but I suppose someone might want to sign him.

When they're listed like that (33 names), you can see why Rowett thinks the squad is much too big.
    I'd guess that at least half will have to go if he wants to bring in players and reduce our losses under FFP.

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't see them on the club site. Must have just forgotten to type Bryson. Definitely saw him listed. Not a Freudian slip. He's on my rather short keep list.

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 3:50 am

Are most of you thinking puck them all off and start again... I found only 4
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5116
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 9:54 am

I've kept 16.

Carson, Forsyth, Russell, Anya, Baird, Hughes, Vydra, Lowe, Nugent, Elsnik, Thorne, Mitchell, Martin, Bryson, Rawson and Hanson.

Add two, or maybe three centre halves, a right back, two holding midfield players and someone with searing pace, and Bob's your uncle.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3581
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:51 am

I can't see a massive clear out of players in the summer, so who we keep will be influenced by what formation GR wants to play. Will he go with three centre backs and a five man midfield ? If he does that could mean two holding players (Thorne and Johnson), two high energy wide men to get up and down the wings, and one (Hughes) linking up with two strikers (Nugent and Vydra).

To play in that formation I'd keep Carson, Forsyth, Thorne, Johnson, Hughes, Vydra, and Nugent. To fill the gaps I'd buy a new right midfielder who can drop back to defend as well as attack, and three tall, no-nonsense centre backs at least one of whom has a bit of pace.

We'll need some youngsters in the squad, so we could keep Lowe, Hanson, Rawson and Mitchell. We'd also need some experienced squad players in case of injuries, so we might want to keep Russell, Bryson and Baird.

Just a suggestion, but if GR fancies a chat....

MadAmster

Number of posts : 13322
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:58 am

Just the 20. That leaves 5 new to some in. 2 1st choice CH. 1 1st choice RB. 1 MF and a striker.

Going down to 12 or 15 of the current list would involve, IMO, bringing in far too many newbies in one go and not be productive. I can see why some might want a massive cull but, in my experience, evolution is better than revolution.

I presume that Charled Vernam has changed his surname by deed poll Wink

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1210
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 9:55 pm

So loads had already submitted votes before you added Chris Martin! I suggest you start it again...
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:03 pm

If Richard Keogh is still Captain and first choice centre half next season, I will seriously be thinking about cancelling my season ticket. He is the one constant in all our failures after him captaining Coventry to relegation.  If he's still first choice it won't matter who we buy or sell.
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 497
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:04 pm

valakari wrote:So loads had already submitted votes before you added Chris Martin! I suggest you start it again...

Hopefully Wolves will give us 7 million for that fat tub of spunk and we can move forward at last.
    chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:05 pm

Who voted to keep Kyle McAllister? Anybody seen him play?
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

I'd be mildly disappointed to see either Hughes or Carson leave...but wouldn't shed any tears. Other than that I think that Vydra might come good and I hope (but suspect not) that Forsyth comes back a decent player. Other than that I'd be pleased to get shot of the lot.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 11:59 pm

Way too depressing to even look at the list.
    Other than Carson who is a decent keeper and has done his job.
    They are all replaceable and not good enough we are a million miles away from promotion and one summer is not going to change that.
    Lots of luck Gary your going to need it.

Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:22 am

New England Ram wrote:Way too depressing to even look at the list.
    They are all replaceable and not good enough we are a million miles away from promotion and one summer is not going to change that.

And yet Huddersfield have come out of nowhere, having finished 19th last year. Teams can get out of this division quickly. It's just that spending stupid money on an enormous squad isn't the way to do it, that's just the way to get taken for a ride by teams looking to offload shite above the odds (for example, aforementioned Huddersfield who are clearly a better side for the loss of one J. Butterfield).

New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22913
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:40 am

Mitten State Ram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Way too depressing to even look at the list.

And yet Huddersfield have come out of nowhere, having finished 19th last year. Teams can get out of this division quickly. It's just that spending stupid money on an enormous squad isn't the way to do it, that's just the way to get taken for a ride by teams looking to offload shite above the odds (for example, aforementioned Huddersfield who are clearly a better side for the loss of one J. Butterfield).

Yes they can...but as I just said elsewhere Rams fans loyalty since and during that 11pt season has been unmatched anywhere.
    Other that the Wembley run the team has not been worthy of that kind of support.
    We have seen teams put together before and as you said come from nowhere to have some success...you can probably put Leeds in that category also this season.
    Problem for us is I think we have a ton of rotten wood...for me it's more about dismantling that mess which has to be done before we can hope to build something and I'm not sure we can get rid of enough of it in a big enough chunk to have an immediate impact.

rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 1898
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 8:18 am

I only clicked on 10 players - and that included Rawson and Hanson

by god this will be the first time I have written off a season before the last one has finished but Rowett has a serious rebuilding job on his hands - and most of the shite are on big long contracts
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13322

Post by MadAmster on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 9:23 am

rob wrote:I only clicked on 10 players - and that included Rawson and Hanson

by god this will be the first time I have written off a season before the last one has finished but Rowett has a serious rebuilding job on his hands - and most of the shite are on big long contracts

If I had wielded the axe unforgivingly, I would agree with you rob BUT that would involve bringing in 15 new players. Evolution rather than revolution is the way to progress. IMO. That is why I ended up with a list of 20, keeping the number of newbies down to 5.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

I'd keep 9. 
    I didn't click on the young ones purely for the fact I've never seen them play. 

I have been told that GR would like to get rid of 10 players including Ince.
    LeedsRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-07-21

Post by LeedsRam on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:05 am

I can't say I care much, except for Will Hughes, who has had a poor season himself.

I think what this thread shows is what a massive disconnect there is between these players and us fans. The general feeling is that they are a bunch of tossers and I would imagine they think the same about us. You could feel the crowd wanting to turn against them yesterday, the mutterings of discontent and frustration at the predictable, slow laboured football.

If we are to achieve anything then everyone at the club, from the top down to the plebs like us, all need to be as one. It simply isn't going to happen with this bunch, they have flattered to deceive and disappointed far too often and the situation isn't helped by the obscene wages we suspect/know they are taking home. A massive cull is needed and fortunately I think Rowett knows it. The obvious problem is who is going to take any of them. Only Hughes and Ince, and possibly Martin, look like bringing in any money.

The only hope I have is that it feels a little like the Jim Smith situation - all the overpaid big money signings making way for players full of heart and character, with a dose of class from Igor. Heart and character should be easy to find in my opinion, the trick will getting the class and leader that will galvanise the club. Who that is, I have absolutely no idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:50 am