Players who have impressed you

LeedsRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : some time when I was three
    Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-07-21

Players who have impressed you

Post by LeedsRam on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:31 am

So, you are Gary Rowett. You have a nice range of shirt and jumper options and a busy summer ahead. So who are you going to sign?

Now, I don't have sky so can only judge on what I have seen at Pride Park, but here are a few players who I thought played well against us. Clearly this being based on one game is ridiculous and due diligence and watching them more than once would obviously be required, but I am curious as to who, from what you have seen, would improve us. The only stipulation is that there would have to be a chance we could sign them so no ridiculous naming of Brighton or Newcastle players.

So, off the top of my head:

Aiden McGeady of Preston was excellent. A super footballer.
    Ben Pearson of Preston had a decent, tidy game as well, although we probably already have some who could do what he does.

Tammy Abrahams at Bristol City would be a good shout to lead the line if we could get him in on loan. He impressed me; held the ball up well but had pace and an instinct as to where to be in the box (as an aside Anya put a lovely cross in yesterday, if Bobby was playing the net would have been bulging but our three were on their heels and nowhere to be seen).
    David Cotterill of Bristol City had a very good game that day. I was surprised it was David Cotterill to be honest because I have always thought he was highly mediocre so I'll rule him out, but still, credit where it is due!

Jota at Brentford. out of contract and available on a free. Got to be worth a shout. Sell Ince and replace him with Jota on a free would be a decent bit of business. Selling Weimann and replacing him with jota an even better bit of business! I would have thought a couple of their players would be decent options, although far too expensive.

Barnsley had a big lump at the back who won everything in the air. Would be worth a look at but not sure how good he actually is or what is name is - maybe he was the number 4?

I thought Ayite of Fulham was magnificent but no hope of signing him and not the sort we need in all likelihood.

The icelandic lad at Cardiff, Gunnarrson?, might do a job screening the back four and it would be nice to have a long throw at our disposal to see if it causes panic and chaos to other teams like it does us.

Finally, Grant Leadbetter is out of contract at Boro I believe but can't see why they'd let him go.

Beyond that I can't really remember too much. I am sure there are others who have impressed but I am trying to blank the season out to be honest. I have no knowledge of the lower leagues so can't comment on who there would do a job for us, but those, off the top of my head, are realistic players from the championship I might be tempted to have a good look at.

So, over to all the football experts - who would you be interested in?
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Re: Players who have impressed you

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

Like a lot of others on this board, I'd love Jordan Ibe back. I don't want to let go of Ince without being able to bring in someone of equal quality. Selling Ince and singing Ibe would be good business.

To replace Weimann I like this guy (same qualities, much lower wages):

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6178
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 3:49 pm

In a perfect world our 18 would look like this by late July

Carson
    Iorfa Dunk Hanley Forsyth
    Ibe Stephens Hughes Knockeart
    Vydra Abraham

Mitchell
    Rawson
    Anya
    Hanson
    Thorne
    Russell
    Nugent

Should only cost about £100m...pocket change to Mel!

Although being serious if we sold Martin (£8m), Ince (£15m), Keogh(£3m), Butterfield (£3m), Johnson (£1m), Christie (£1m), Olsson (£500k), Pearce (£1m), Camara (£1m), Weimann (£2m) and Bryson (£500k), released Baird and Bent and allowed Blackman and Shackell to leave on free transfers, we should be able to generate a decent transfer kitty and have considerable room in the wage budget for players to come in - new RB, 2xCB, 2x Winger, 1 CM, 1 CF.

I don't expect Rowett to go after the type of players who I included (except maybe on loan). I anticipate several overseas players, a couple from Scotland, the odd one from League 1 and a couple of Premier League loanees.
    chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14456
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 5:45 pm

Who in their right mind is going to pay £3m for Keogh?

Who in their right mind is going to pay £1m for Camara?
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 6:49 pm

Corny, I reckon Rowett will want Shackell as one of his centre halves. When he is in the team and he asked to concentrate on defendi,g, there are few better in this division. Unfortunately there seems to be a permanent question mark over his ability to integrate into the group which is always likely to resurface.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6178
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 7:01 pm

chicken wrote:Who in their right mind is going to pay £3m for Keogh?

Who in their right mind is going to pay £1m for Camara?

There has been interest in both according numerous sources. Keogh is an experienced Championship defender and in this market that's what he will go for. Camara still has a decent reputation in Europe, so he'll be of back to France

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm