Are we going smalltime........

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Are we going smalltime........

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm

........and is that a good thing?

Reading Rowetts coments in the DET regarding Andre Wisdom, it made me wonder whether, combined with Rush's demise, we are returning to a smalltime mentality. He said something like, Wisdom is the kind of player we'd be interested in, strong, athletic and capable of playing in the Premiersh*t, but not at the £4m being quoted. He said that we like to get deals done quietly, but if they reach the media, in order to push the price up, we may have to walk away.

Are we really baulking at paying £4m for somebody who is the kind of player we want? And would you be happy with us returning to a much smaller budget after spending about £25m on Johnson, Butterfield, Anya and Vydra and getting little value for money in the great scheme of things.
    purpleram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Re: Are we going smalltime........

Post by purpleram on Thu May 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Not sure it's going small time, more not being mugged off.

What has Wisdom done since leaving us that justifies a £4 million fee?

I hope we will push the boat out but only for real quality or even potential, but we have overpaid since Mel arrived, lets hope that bit at least is changing.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu May 04, 2017 5:37 pm

What does £4m buy now Purps? He was very good at this level when he played for us last time, so does £4m for a top Championship defender sound a lot? Not in my opinion.
    norfolkram

First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 500
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Thu May 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:What does £4m buy now Purps? He was very good at this level when he played for us last time, so does £4m for a top Championship defender sound a lot? Not in my opinion.

He was ok for half the season then went shite as i recall,and done bugger all elsewhere. Norwich have just given 7 the elbow we can pick them up for sod all if we're now bargain basement.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Thu May 04, 2017 6:46 pm

The best squad we've had in ten years was put together by Nigel Clough with this mentality, only he couldn't get them to play. It took Steve McClaren to do that. Unfortunately for some reason Steve McClaren works kind of like methamphetamine and only gives your playing staff a temporary boost that soon wears off. My hunch is that GR is capable of both assembling a cohesive quality squad like Clough did AND actually getting them to play promotion-quality football. I'm just afraid that with the squad the way it is right now it's going to take another half-decade. I've said this before, but I lament with bitterest tears the way four seasons of painstaking work by Nigel Clough of slowly getting rid of rot and bringing in quality on a low budget has been thrown away in two years of transfer market insanity and managerial revolving-door drama.

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Thu May 04, 2017 7:50 pm

GR seems to have a similar approach to NC regarding player type - low profile. The problem that GR may have is that we are now seen as a very rich club so even low profile players may not come cheap.

I don't see Wisdom as a GR player - too much showboating. Remember Wisdom's unecessary arm offs when he was stationary? He was a decent player but too keen on wanting to show off his strength IMO.

GR might be able to sort Wisdom but I think that he'd be more keen on a Shawcross type of player - a strong, honest trier. (I'm not suggesting Shawcross - just giving an example IMO).

mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:........and is that a good thing?

Reading Rowetts coments in the DET regarding Andre Wisdom, it made me wonder whether, combined with Rush's demise, we are returning to a smalltime mentality. He said something like, Wisdom is the kind of player we'd be interested in, strong, athletic and capable of playing in the Premiersh*t, but not at the £4m being quoted. He said that we like to get deals done quietly, but if they reach the media, in order to push the price up, we may have to walk away.

Are we really baulking at paying £4m for somebody who is the kind of player we want? And would you be happy with us returning to a much smaller budget after spending about £25m on Johnson, Butterfield, Anya and Vydra and getting little value for money in the great scheme of things.

Is this how football has got that we suggest that we are going small time merely because our manager suggests that a player he'd like is overvalued?

I would say that it is sound sensible management.

Rather than suggest we are going small time, I would say that that we are going sensible.

I would venture to say that MM has likely said to GW that funds are there but please do not waste those funds on paying the fee that clubs are asking for their players....maybe try to negotiate the fee that clubs are asking if you think it is a little high.

Huddersfield, Brighton, Wednesday and Huddersfield (4 clubs in the current top 5) have all got up there and stayed up there with squads costing considerably less than ours. If Rowett decided to limit his spending (or MM for that matter), it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

For me, the most important past of next season is Rowett's man management and organisational skills. That will see DCFC in the top 2 or top 6. If you had put any of our previous 3~4 managers in charge of those current top 4~5 clubs, I feel they would have been closer to the bottom of the league that the top. The manager is king in this league.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13340
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 am

After seeing the Wisdom rumour, me and my eldest spoke about it. Both agreed it would be great to have the lad back but not at £4M. We both priced the lad at £2.5M.

As others have said, what has he done since he left us?

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri May 05, 2017 8:28 am

But how is any price calculated? Why £2.5m? Would anybody accept £ 2.5m for Will Hughes? After all Wisdom is a similar age, captained Englands under 21s, has experience of the Premiersh*t and has done little of note for a couple of seasons.

I think that £4m buys nothing in this day and age unless you're willing to go with untried and untested talent from the lower leagues or Scotland, in the same way that Nigel did, but as we know that route has it's pitfalls.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4298
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 am

According to Transfer Market his market price is £1.7m, you can see where GM is coming from.

(BTW it values Will Hughes at £6.8m)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:06 pm