a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

U 23s 2 Chelsea 1 and safety

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13439
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

U 23s 2 Chelsea 1 and safety

Post by MadAmster on Fri 05 May 2017, 9:20 pm

Good enough to beat Chelski and avoid relegation. Great team performance.

Decent stream as well, if next season's 1st team streams are as good or better then they will be well worth the 3 quid a throw.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5158
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: U 23s 2 Chelsea 1 and safety

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 05 May 2017, 10:42 pm

Guilty as charged MA.  I had intended to watch, but I watched Spurs instead, in the forlorn hope that their pure attacking football might put enough pressure on Chelski to enable them to be worthy champions.
    15 more points than any other Prem team over the last two seasons shows why.  Man Citeh are thier closest rivals.

Not seen our team - were there many established players involved?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 06 May 2017, 9:36 am

If you count Mitchell and Bennett as established then yes. Wassall had a free hand to pick who he wanted. If he wanted a player that Rowett had earmarked for a role at Rotherham, the U23 game took priority. I would be surprised to see Bennett on the bench against the Millers as he was out on his feet come the final whistle.

I could pick out a couple of gems from yesterday but will refrain as that would detract from what was a massive TEAM effort.

Chelsea were quicker. Their passing was crisper. Their off the ball movement very good........ and it all came to nothing. They had, to my mind, more possession but we did more with it.

The U23s had a poor start to the season but their last 10 games have seen 4 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses. Proper midtable stats and that is where they will end up. At Christmas they were odds on to go straight back down. They didn't.

Well done to both players and staff. Last night's performance was excellent.

There are some negatives but it would be churlish to discuss them in a celebratory thread.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1088
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by Sydney Smooth on Sat 06 May 2017, 12:14 pm

Entertaining football and a deserved win for the lads, for the first 15/20 minutes we were in their faces with Alex Babos terrorising Chelski with his 'Demented Dervish' impression, and Mason Bennett worried them every time he had possession.

Last night was the first time I had seen Sven Sostaric Karic [ideal name for a chant Rolling Eyes ] and I was quite impressed, he played at left back with Callum McDonald moving into the centre of defence with Ethan Wassall, Karic made some forays down the flank and put in some decent crosses.

The expensive Chelski team showed their skills with silky passing and flowing football but the Rams stood firm on most occasions, our goals came from Bennett [an absolute cracker] and Kellan Gordon who was lively throughout. Referee O'Connell failed with regards to consistency allowing Chelski players to get away with blatant pushes whilst punishing the Rams for similar offences, his booking of Bennett [after 3 fouls] seemed to have an effect on his game and he became rather withdrawn.

My pick of the Chelski team was Kyle Scott, who has been impressive on the occasions I have seen him, he reminds me of a young Scott Parker and I reckon he could have a decent future in the game.

Our 'youngsters' Max Bird and Cameron Cresswell did not let themselves down and Kyron Stabana put in a competent performance against tricky winger Mason Mount. Chelski were reduced to 10 men when Chalobah hauled down a marauding Bennett on the edge of their box but the resulting free kick was blasted into the defensive wall by McDonald.

The Chelski goal came following lax play by Wassall who, in my opinion, seems to lack finesse and his 'lumbering' play put us in trouble on more than one occasion, other than that the team played well deserved to come out on top.

It will be interesting to see which of our Academy players are given contracts and who is shown the door at the end of the month.

COYR
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2297
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 06 May 2017, 7:08 pm

I was sat directly opposite certain under 23 players like Rawson, vernam, elsnik , Lowe , guy and zanzala to name a few and was thinking how we could of done with them in the team tonight but as it showed we didn't, well done to the younguns and hopefully move onto next year with more experience

Super Rams The quest for premiership continues.............
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 07 May 2017, 9:38 am

I know Lowe is injured, what about the others Ram78 mentioned?

old ewe

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 591
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:08 am

Ram78 wrote:I was sat directly opposite certain under 23 players like Rawson, vernam, elsnik , Lowe , guy and zanzala to name a few and was thinking how we could of done with them in the team tonight but as it showed we didn't, well done to the younguns and hopefully move onto next year with more experience

Rotherham bench ??
    Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1088
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by Sydney Smooth on Sun 07 May 2017, 11:59 am

Ram78 wrote:I was sat directly opposite certain under 23 players like Rawson, vernam, elsnik , Lowe , guy and zanzala to name a few and was thinking how we could of done with them in the team tonight but as it showed we didn't, well done to the younguns and hopefully move onto next year with more experience

Unfortunately all of the above other than Rawson are injured or returning from injury, I reckon there would have been no relegation fears if they had played for the U/23s for the majority of the season but if they had then they wouldn't have had the chance to show their worth in League football.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 3:51 pm