Rotherham 1-1 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Rotherham 1-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sun 07 May 2017, 2:06 pm

Derby named an unchanged side for the last match of the season, as did Rotherham. Blackman
    was added to the Rams bench after a long absence through injury.
    Starting XI
    Carson - Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Olsson - Butterfield, Bryson, Johnson - Ince, Nugent, Russell
    Subs
    Mitchell, Christie, Anya, Bent, Hughes, Blackman, Vydra

First half
    Derby had three corners in the first five minutes but made nothing of them apart from an off target
    shot from Keogh. As usual, the Rams switched off and failed to press when not in possession, so the
    lively Rotherham side had a good spell in attack, forcing Derby back. Neither side showed any quality
    or imagination. Derby’s passing was too sloppy and negative, their control was too poor, and their
    movement was too slow, to threaten the worst defence in the division (conceded 97 goals). On 40
    minutes Nugent set up  Ince, who forced a good save from the Rotherham keeper with Derby’s only
    shot on target. This was a dismal half that underlined why Rotherham are bottom and why Derby are
    13 points below the playoffs.
    HT Rotherham 0-0 Derby

Second half
    Hughes replaced Bryson after the break. The Rams made a bit more effort but they still lacked quality
    and they were vulnerable to Rotherham’s quick breaks, though the home side’s shots didn’t test Carson.
    Bent came on for Russell on 56 minutes and soon made a chance for himself but his shot was blocked.
    Carson had to make a decent save from a header. Bent and Nugent combined to make a chance for
    Johnson but he put his shot wide.

On 66 minutes Rotherham’s Frecklington scored with a simple tap in from an excellent cross by Mattock.
    Moments later Carson had to make a couple good saves. For long periods, it wasn't easy to be sure
    which was the relegated team. Blackman replaced Nugent, who had received no service at all, with
    10 minutes left. Ince was tripped in the area and, after three Derby players argued about who should
    take the penalty, Ince scored with well-placed shot in the bottom corner. The Rams stepped up the
    tempo as Rotherham tired. Bent found Blackman with a flicked pass but his shot was saved, and Ince
    forced an excellent save after a free kick. Bent put the ball in the net from a Hughes’ pass but he was
    offside. It was another disappointing end to another disappointing season. Derby were 9th on 67 points.
    FT Rotherham 1-1 Derby

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13326
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Rotherham 1-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by MadAmster on Sun 07 May 2017, 2:28 pm

It made painful listening. I feel sorry for Stockers and the almost 3K other Rams who went...........

Time for a few football free weeks and then get back into it as pre season starts and the transfers, in and out, begin.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10992
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 07 May 2017, 2:54 pm

Hints from Rowett after the game that a lot of what he wants to do will depend on outgoings. It's the first time I've heard him less than certain about what will be done this summer, he definitely seemed to be attempting to temper expectation now that the reality has dawned on him, that shifting most of the highly paid sh*t may prove to be quite difficult.
    RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 15657
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sun 07 May 2017, 3:23 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Hints from Rowett after the game that a lot of what he wants to do will depend on outgoings. It's the first time I've heard him less than certain about what will be done this summer, he definitely seemed to be attempting to temper expectation now that the reality has dawned on him, that shifting most of the highly paid sh*t may prove to be quite difficult.

True - the change in Rowett's tone was very noticeable.

That fits with Mr Morris's remarks on taking up to four windows for the changes they want.

Spreading the cost of buying players over 3-4 year contracts works well for FFP until
    you realize you've signed too many players that you don't need and nobody else wants
    them at the kind of prices that you have to get to avoid an impossible FFP situation.

purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Sun 07 May 2017, 4:41 pm

RRC wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Hints from Rowett after the game that a lot of what he wants to do will depend on outgoings. It's the first time I've heard him less than certain about what will be done this summer, he definitely seemed to be attempting to temper expectation now that the reality has dawned on him, that shifting most of the highly paid sh*t may prove to be quite difficult.

True - the change in Rowett's tone was very noticeable.

That fits with Mr Morris's remarks on taking up to four windows for the changes they want.

Spreading the cost of buying players over 3-4 year contracts works well for FFP until
    you realize you've signed too many players that you don't need and nobody else wants
    them at the kind of prices that you have to get to avoid an impossible FFP situation.

It might be better to change the side organically rather than buying a new team overnight. Not that it sounds like we have much choice.
    Wieman to Wolves, Christie and Hughes to wherever, are there any other obvious outgoing transfers after the madness that was giving Bent another year.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5121
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 07 May 2017, 5:36 pm

MadAmster wrote:It made painful listening. I feel sorry for Stockers and the almost 3K other Rams who went...........

Time for a few football free weeks and then get back into it as pre season starts and the transfers, in and out, begin.

As I arrived at Stockport station I heard the words "Trans Pennine Express regret to announce..." and was met with Bramhall Ram seeking a refund on his train ticket, seeing as we would have to go via Leeds and not turn up at the Stadium until nigh on 1pm.

As it happened, neither did the players.

Fortune was with me though - A Rotherham STH (yes, really), with his 8 year old nephew, both bedecked in red, were looking forlornly at the timetable, and after a quick call to his fiancee, offered us a lift. Bramhall was a little under the weather, and decided that he'd rather laugh at Forest on the TV, but I was delighted.

Wise man, that Bramhall Ram.

To call it an "end of season feel" was discrediting to end of season feelings. The most excited that this Brummie got was when the Rotherham scoreboard flashed up "goal" in added time, and I prayed it was for Bristol City, as it would have relegated the Bluenoses, but alas it was Fulham.

Somewhere in the middle of all that a game of football apparently took place.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 07 May 2017, 5:41 pm

Another option, which may well yield the same results as the methods we've been using so far is to park all the crap outside the stadium and bring a load of the youngsters in. I know there are plenty, GR included, who say they are not ready, but surely they can't do any worse than this lot of wasters? And the youngsters will actually give a damn during the actual match. In reality, most wouldn't worry about missing promotion if the squad had consistently put the effort in, but far too often the just couldn't be bothered. And on that note, instead of bus tickets of cheap food and beer, Mel ought to refund all those fans who have spent a fortune this season (and previous ones) travelling to away matches, especially the long ones, only to find that they are the only ones from Derby have actually bothered to turn up.

So next season, how about a load of new faces from the ranks of the reserves and youth teams?

Posted from my Android passion for Derby County.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 07 May 2017, 6:17 pm

I thought that my prediction of a 5:2 win might have been a bit on the optimstic side. GR got in right post-match when he said that at times during the game he found the results of the other games more interesting that the match.
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14453
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 07 May 2017, 7:33 pm

Same shit, different day. Seems not one of those players were concerned about staying at Derby and being in the starting 11 come August.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22919
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 07 May 2017, 9:26 pm

Rowett will be deserving of a statue if he turns set up around over the summer and gains promotion.
    In fact I have a horrible gut feeling that the Scum will somehow feed off the get out of jail euphoria of today and turnaround things quicker than us.
    Just feels like their issues and problems are easier to identify than ours as some at the club don't seem to be prepared ( or able ) to part with those members of our squad who came so close a few years back.
    Think we have been poor but have flattered to deceive and have masked our issues.
    Soft under belly..weak lacking in speed and size all over the pitch and a awful track record in the transfer market of late with part of our fan base always ready to pile criticism and pressure on any signing or prospective signing.

I wish the manager well ...the bright spot is I truly feel he's invested and is a grafter who will be giving it everything he's got.
    He says he knows what needs to be done...I wish him well.

Angus1

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Mon 08 May 2017, 9:05 am

New England Ram wrote:Rowett will be deserving of a statue if he turns set up around over the summer and gains promotion.
    In fact I have a horrible gut feeling that the Scum will somehow feed off the get out of jail euphoria of today and turnaround things quicker than us.
    Just feels like their issues and problems are easier to identify than ours as some at the club don't seem to be prepared ( or able ) to part with those members of our squad who came so close a few years back.
    Think we have been poor but have flattered to deceive and have masked our issues.
    Soft under belly..weak lacking in speed and size all over the pitch and a awful track record in the transfer market of late with part of our fan base always ready to  pile criticism and pressure on any signing or prospective signing.

I wish the manager well ...the bright spot is I truly feel he's invested and is a grafter who will be giving it everything he's got.
    He says he knows what needs to be done...I wish him well.

I agree Rowett has a big job on but Forest have an even bigger hill to climb. They have accumulated through their various managers a huge surplus of unwanted players, trimming their squad and improving it looks a tall order. Also their ownership remains uncertain so they may struggle again next season. One area they are well ahead of us is their Academy structure, that serves them well, other than that though their club is a bit of a shambles, poor on the pitch, huge loss making and a PR disaster in charge.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 08 May 2017, 11:29 am

Angus1 wrote:

I agree Rowett has a big job on but Forest have an even bigger hill to climb. They have accumulated through their various managers a huge surplus of unwanted players, trimming their squad and improving it looks a tall order. Also their ownership remains uncertain so they may struggle again next season. One area they are well ahead of us is their Academy structure, that serves them well, other than that though their club is a bit of a shambles, poor on the pitch, huge loss making and a PR disaster in charge.

A recurring theme in your posts Angus. Not one that seems to ring true based on what I perceive.

Looking at this season, we have seen quite a few Academy products in and around the 1st team match day squad. Hughes, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett, Rawson, Vernam, Mcdonald, Guy, Zanzala. Agreed not many played but they have made the bench. It's a start and that's 9 Academy players, off the top of my head, who have made the match day 18 this season.

Add to that 16 and 17 year olds in the U23s helping to secure midtable security after a really poor start to the season......

I am intrigued to hear your reasons for thinking that the Academy is some sort of disaster.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3585
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 08 May 2017, 12:14 pm

Stocky, old scout, what can I say ? Your never say die qualities put my apathy in the shade. I'm glad you made it to the match, but sorry you had to watch what sounds like a truly appalling game.

I had three hopes for yesterday:

1) A free flowing Rams performance ending in an easy victory
    2) The red dogs beaten, embarrassed and relegated
    3) Millwall stuffed in the play off semi final

Don't ask me to pick your lottery numbers this week....Bang head

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10176
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 08 May 2017, 12:49 pm

So here is how may day out to Rotherham went

arrived in car park to see big signs saying £1.50 all day. When I got to the pay machine the small print said Football Parking £3.00. Luckily I had sufficient change on me. Even more luckily someone had left a quid in the machine so only cost me £2.00

Stopped at burger bar for brunch. Maths was not a strong subject for the guy serving as what should have been £10.00 worth of food was charged at £8.50

Onto the match, First half spent cheering on Blackburn and hoping Ipswich would score

Second half moaning about Mick McCarthy and all his team for being even crapper than Derby

The football on show in front of me should have been reports to Trading Standards as very little was played

Oh yes I half cheered when Ince scored the penalty but didn't bother when Bent put the ball in the net late on as had seen the flag go up well before.

Free for all getting out the car park, close to scraping the car a few times

Home to watch an old school friend of my sons (a few years older) try to reach Wembley with Fleetwood (alas wasn't to be)

There have been better Sundays in my life
    Angus1

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Mon 08 May 2017, 3:52 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:

A recurring theme in your posts Angus. Not one that seems to ring true based on what I perceive.

Looking at this season, we have seen quite a few Academy products in and around the 1st team match day squad. Hughes, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett, Rawson, Vernam, Mcdonald, Guy, Zanzala. Agreed not many played but they have made the bench. It's a start and that's 9 Academy players, off the top of my head, who have made the match day 18 this season.

Add to that 16 and 17 year olds in the U23s helping to secure midtable security after a really poor start to the season......

I am intrigued to hear your reasons for thinking that the Academy is some sort of disaster.

Other than Hughes who is an exception and Lowe, none of those players has a prayer of making a career at Derby, probably no football league club, most of our lads at best end up at Mickleover, Alfreton, Ilkeston etc, which says it all. Forest have got a decent set up right through that works the level of players they get and produce locally is much higher than ours, they scout more effectively, develop players better. That is one area we could learn from them, a change at the top to be fair is as overdue as Rush's dismissal.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1211
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 08 May 2017, 5:38 pm

Hasn't done them much good though......
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 08 May 2017, 6:55 pm

bramhallram wrote:Stocky, old scout, what can I say ? Your never say die qualities put my apathy in the shade. I'm glad you made it to the match, but sorry you had to watch what sounds like a truly appalling game.

I had three hopes for yesterday:

1) A free flowing Rams performance ending in an easy victory
    2) The red dogs beaten, embarrassed and relegated
    3) Millwall stuffed in the play off semi final

Don't ask me to pick your lottery numbers this week....Bang head

Respect
    Rams bottom

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2016-10-07

Post by Rams bottom on Mon 08 May 2017, 7:18 pm

Forest made a tidy profit on Oliver Burke Wink
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 08 May 2017, 11:33 pm

Angus1 wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:

Other than Hughes who is an exception and Lowe, none of those players has a prayer of making a career at Derby, probably no football league club, most of our lads at best end up at Mickleover, Alfreton, Ilkeston etc, which says it all. Forest have got a decent set up right through that works the level of players they get and produce locally is much higher than ours, they scout more effectively, develop players better. That is one area we could learn from them, a change at the top to be fair is as overdue as Rush's dismissal.

I might be wrong but thought Hendrick came though our Academy and now plays in the Prem but why let facts get in the way Angus
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 09 May 2017, 12:07 am

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:

I might be wrong but thought Hendrick came though our Academy and now plays in the Prem but why let facts get in the way Angus

In fairness to Angus, both Hughes and Hendrick were at the club before Wassall joined the Academy and were pretty much moved into the first team squad before he had any input.

Despite all the focus on the Academy in the last few years, it hasn't produced very much...yet. We shouldn't condemn Wassall prematurely though. Youth development is bound to be a slow burner. It may well be that there is a conveyor belt of talent working its way up to the first team. I would hope though, that Mel does review Wassall to make sure that he is actually doing something useful.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 09 May 2017, 6:52 am

Ooh, now that the alcohol is wearing off, I do remember a couple of "in-game" incidents, both from the second half.

Keogh was unfortunate not to contribute a sublime assist with a lovely cushioned header, but sadly our Player Of The Season came out and smothered  the Rotherham shot.

Ince also produced his moment of sublime skill - bringing a rifled pass down from Bruce Lee height stone dead at his feet, then laying a five yard square pass to the supporting Baird  on the touchline, who sadly let it slip under his foot for a Rotherham throw in. It was probably the only mistake that our only defender made all day.

Realising that his moment of magic wouldn't be on a highlights reel in the preamble to a Derby goal, as he nonchalantly trotted back to the half way line, Tom's entire body looked like it had swallowed a wasp.

Twenty seconds which were an apt microcosm of our entire season.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 09 May 2017, 8:48 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Ooh, now that the alcohol is wearing off, I do remember a couple of "in-game" incidents, both from the second half.

Keogh was unfortunate not to contribute a sublime assist with a lovely cushioned header, but sadly our Player Of The Season came out and smothered  the Rotherham shot.

Ince also produced his moment of sublime skill - bringing a rifled pass down from Bruce Lee height stone dead at his feet, then laying a five yard square pass to the supporting Baird  on the touchline, who sadly let it slip under his foot for a Rotherham throw in. It was probably the only mistake that our only defender made all day.

Realising that his moment of magic wouldn't be on a highlights reel in the preamble to a Derby goal, as he nonchalantly trotted back to the half way line, Tom's entire body looked like it had swallowed a wasp.

Twenty seconds which were an apt microcosm of our entire season.

Just watched the short highlights. That cushioned header, had it not been for Carson, would have been the assist of the season. Placement and speed were perfect for their onrushing #8.

Onrushing #8? Yes, yet again our back 4 were condensed into the middle 15 yards (or less) of the pitch leaving the outside open and very available to be utilised by canny players. I was taught by the FA to get full backs to come inside but no so far inside that they can't cover the outside with regard to wingers and marauding midfielders. This "error" by the left back was compounded by, yet again, nobody covering a run by an opposition player..... when will they realise that, although zonal defending has some merit, it is rank stupidity to mark space in and around your own penalty box.

Great goal by Bent........... spoilt by his penchant for being offside more often than not.

All in all an extremely forgettable performance by a squad that should have major surgery (12+ out, 5 or 6 in) over the summer but will probably get a few minor tweaks (9 out and 2 or 3 in).

Happy summer everyone.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1211
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Tue 09 May 2017, 4:39 pm

Sorry. Don't get this love for Baird. If never stopping a cross and hardly ever marking a man...(prerequisites for a full back), get you described as a consistent performer, then he certainly is......no wonder Keogh has problems....this season he has 2 poor full backs and a poor partner in the middle to cover for....and try and mark his own as well as theirs....as well as blocking the shots, carrying the ball out of defence with no George Thorne to pass to either. People need to get off his back and have a better vantage point than the bandwagon they are currently riding. FFS...Wembley was a long time ago....let it go!
    Barnstaple Ram

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Tue 09 May 2017, 6:27 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:

Plus Rawson , Vernam and Guy have been on loan in the EFL this season. Then we have Jamie Hanson who you yourself have raved about in the past Angus
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 09 May 2017, 6:56 pm

valakari wrote:Sorry. Don't get this love for Baird. If never stopping a cross and hardly ever marking a man...(prerequisites for a full back), get you described as a consistent performer, then he certainly is......no wonder Keogh has problems....this season he has 2 poor full backs and a poor partner in the middle to cover for....and try and mark his own as well as theirs....as well as blocking the shots, carrying the ball out of defence with no George Thorne to pass to either. People need to get off his back and have a better vantage point than the bandwagon they are currently riding. FFS...Wembley was a long time ago....let it go!

I presume you suffered first hand like the rest of us on Sunday Val - Baird consistently moved into intelligent positions to cover for Keogh and Pearce, - one particular example late on when our central defenders went up gung ho for a corner and didn't bother to get back while the ball was in play, I noticed Baird realising the possibility of a break and covering the central position until it was necessary for him to make a clearance from the right when the eventual through ball did come.

It wasn't the only time.

Bearing in mind the complete insignificance of the game, I had more than enough time to watch RK,  and regularly saw Baird having to cover for his lack of positioning.

Baird is not the quickest, he makes mistakes as we all do, but he has a footballing brain and does enough to warrant his place.

If only we had another decent right back (sadly, I think Hanson hasn't learnt the position yet, he dives in too much,  and Christie simply isn't a defender), then I'd certainly start Baird as centre back, with either Rawson or Shackell from the current crop, but hopefully an incoming improvement.

I'd be happy for 2 new centre halves and Baird as right back.

I'd go as far as to say that he was (and is) the only one of the back four on show who actually knows how to defend.

Last edited by Stockport Ram on Wed 10 May 2017, 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:39 am