Will Hughes - A Dilemma!!

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10178
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Will Hughes - A Dilemma!!

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Thu 11 May 2017, 12:47 pm

Reading various post over the season opinion is often split over whether we should build the team round Will or sell him for big bucks to allow re-building

Over the last few games (whilst we had nothing to play for) I have been thinking about him and his impact on the Rams

I sometimes question if he is as good as many think

He has been in the first team for 4 or 5 seasons (yes I know he missed most of last season) but how many games has he really stamped his authority on? I can't recall too many

If you look at the promoted and play off teams this season they all seem to have someone in central midfield who can pull the strings
    Newcastle - Shelvey
    Brighton - Stephens
    Huddersfield - Mooy
    Fuham - Crainey
    Wendie - Bannen
    Reading - Swift

With the possible exception of Reading I don't see Hughes has had the same impact on our games as these players have had on their clubs

I would be interested in what others have to say on this

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1214
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Re: Will Hughes - A Dilemma!!

Post by valakari on Thu 11 May 2017, 2:14 pm

His best game was v Leicester..totally running the game...but, he went off injured and has not been the same since.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13333
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 11 May 2017, 2:20 pm

He was on the verge of it, picked up that season long injury at Bolton, came back and showed what he is about again against Leicester, until, of course, they kicked him off the park.

GR has said he knows how to help Hughes add the missing pieces to his games. If he really means that then he will build the team around him. If not, then he is bulling him up to up the price.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Fri 12 May 2017, 5:16 am

I don't see this squad achieving a damned thing without him.

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 12 May 2017, 5:55 am

But surely the point of selling him would be to change the squad completely.

I agree that it would be a real shame if he goes. He gives us control of the ball when he is in the team, but I think that he needs to move for his own personal development.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5123
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 12 May 2017, 6:56 am

The only recent example I can think of when selling your best player  (and remember it was for mega bucks) resulted in a marked improvment of the team was Bale to Real Madrid. Even then it has taken Tottenham quite a while (and a top class manager) to become the splendid team that they are now.

Mel has the money to radically overhaul this squad. QPR were hardly punished for flagrant FFP breaches. I'd say keep him and simply pay off the wasters, Mel, but its not my money.

The noises coming out of the club suggest that GR has strictly defined financial parameters so I think Mel has already decided that this is not an option.

Even in the second half of a meaningless game last Sunday, we kept and used the ball so much better when virtually everything good (including the move for the penalty) involved him.

I'd hate to lose him, because he is a top, top talent, but if we "do a Spurs" then it would be worth it.   Just.
    purpleram

Number of posts : 2983
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by purpleram on Fri 12 May 2017, 8:31 am

I went to the 'Night with Harry Rednapp' a year or so ago at Pride Park. He was asked who is Derby's best player and the whole room was waiting for him to say Will Hughes.
    He didn't, technically Blackman was Derby's best player? Obviously that hasn't manifested itself on the pitch.

Pushed further on Will he said obviously he is a good player but then compared him to Lampard, who was never the most naturally gifted but trained and trained and trained until he became the fantastic player we all know. The inference was Will turns up to training, trains and then goes home, he doesn't go the extra mile, and that, in Harrys opinion is why Will has stalled somewhat.

Forgive me for paraphrasing but that's the gist of it. So reluctantly I would cash in on him but only for a large wedge.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4221
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Fri 12 May 2017, 10:11 am

Unless I am reading him wrong, I think GR wants variations and I would think that Will and others willbe a part of that.

Playing different teams and different ways involves a good size squad with varied talents, some of whom can only play one way(Martin) and they will need a supply line.
    Some of the squad will be interchangeable with systems, if we are going for a big mobile unit upfront then wingers (Ince/Russell) will be important. If we go the otherway with Martin say, then Will becomes a must.
    I am looking forward next year to seeing some of this in action, I have no doubt there will be hiccups and a few bad loses along the way, but overall I hope to see the QUALITY of the play improve,this could be achieved by keeping Will or selling and buying.

Personally I would hope to move him on for 10-15 mill, but I doubt there are many mugs like us out there Fingers crossed

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 12 May 2017, 11:04 am

purpleram wrote:I went to the 'Night with Harry Rednapp' a year or so ago at Pride Park. He was asked who is Derby's best player and the whole room was waiting for him to say Will Hughes.
    He didn't, technically Blackman was Derby's best player? Obviously that hasn't manifested itself on the pitch.

Pushed further on Will he said obviously he is a good player but then compared him to Lampard, who was never the most naturally gifted but trained and trained and trained until he became the fantastic player we all know. The inference was Will turns up to training, trains and then goes home, he doesn't go the extra mile, and that, in Harrys opinion is why Will has stalled somewhat.

Forgive me for paraphrasing but that's the gist of it. So reluctantly I would cash in on him but only for a large wedge.

'ow would 'Arry know that Will is, according to your inference, a "lazy trainer"?

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 542
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Fri 12 May 2017, 1:45 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    purpleram wrote:I went to the 'Night with Harry Rednapp' a year or so ago at Pride Park. He was asked who is Derby's best player and the whole room was waiting for him to say Will Hughes.

'ow would 'Arry know that Will is, according to your inference, a "lazy trainer"?
    Because he was with the club for a short while and is friends with Steve McLaren? More to the point, why would 'Arry say it if he didn't believe it? There doesn't seem to be any gain in it.

Life is really simple. It's just that we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3587
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Fri 12 May 2017, 2:02 pm

Offhand I can't think of many examples of a team being improved by selling its most talented players. Selling Hughes makes no sense to me unless..

a) we need the money
    or
    b) we sign one or more better players with the proceeds
    or
    c) GR sees no role for him in his brave new world at Pride Park

For me, Hughes is the one shining light in the gloom of another disappointing season. The fact that he has captained the England U21s is a clear indication that others are equally impressed by him.

One thing's for sure, how GR chooses to deal with Hughes will give us a good idea of the style of football we can expect to see next season.

Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Fri 12 May 2017, 2:03 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:But surely the point of selling him would be to change the squad completely.

I agree that it would be a real shame if he goes. He gives us control of the ball when he is in the team, but I think that he needs to move for his own personal development.

I guess that would be the idea, but I think the great lesson of the last few years for us has been that a bird is the hand is worth two in the bush. Spending your way to success in this division apparently means getting taken for a ride by all the other teams in the league looking to off-load their Jacob Butterfield and Nick Blackman types. I wouldn't trade Hughes for a hundred of them.

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    purpleram

Post by purpleram on Fri 12 May 2017, 6:30 pm

Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Because he was with the club for a short while and is friends with Steve McLaren? More to the point, why would 'Arry say it if he didn't believe it? There doesn't seem to be any gain in it.

Exactly that Jackal, he was helping Wassall out at the time so witnessed it himself and I guess talked to the staff. Who else would know if not him? Also Ammy I was repeating his inference.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 12 May 2017, 6:39 pm

purpleram wrote:
    Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Exactly that Jackal, he was helping Wassall out at the time so witnessed it himself and I guess talked to the staff. Who else would know if not him? Also Ammy I was repeating his inference.

As the Honorary self-elected Secretary of the Offerton and District Pedants Society, my guess is that it was your inference on what Harry implied Purps - but I could be wrong.

I remember an occasion in summer 1974 when I was, but I had the excuse of only being an eight year old then..... Wink
    purpleram

Post by purpleram on Fri 12 May 2017, 8:29 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

As the Honorary self-elected Secretary of the Offerton and District Pedants Society, my guess is that it was your inference on what Harry implied Purps - but I could be wrong.

I remember an occasion in summer 1974 when I was,  but I had the excuse of only being an eight year old then..... Wink

So you're intimating that it was my inference not Harry's? Hmmmm, okay, mine was more of a musing on what I now think may have been a lager fuelled fantasy.

Can I categorically state that Will has shite trainer's I heard it from a club insider.
    asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Sat 13 May 2017, 2:18 am

Remember when we thought Tom Huddlestone was the best thing .....flogged him to Spurs...we could have mugged them for millions...but no.....

Cash in on Hughes and get a decent Centre Back!
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 13 May 2017, 8:42 am

purpleram wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    purpleram wrote:
    Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

I remember an occasion in summer 1974 when I was,  but I had the excuse of only being an eight year old then..... Wink

So you're intimating that it was my inference not Harry's? Hmmmm, okay, mine was more of a musing on what I now think may have been a lager fuelled fantasy.
    `
    Can I categorically state that Will has shite trainer's I heard it from a club insider.

Nope, I'm implying that you are inferring, and that Harry was implying, not inferring.

Not for a moment would I suggest or imply that you were wrong - 'cos I don't know - I've never seen Will train.

Just my bit of fun. I have fifteen different coloured anoraks you know.....
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 22920
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 14 May 2017, 10:59 pm

None of them are un sellable for me.
    He's got talent..probably suited to a team that has a lot of possession.
    Not sure that a lot of possession will be the DCFC way from here on in.
    I'm of the group ( as is the manager) that thinks we need more physicality and speed.
    Obviously you need your skill players to complement that..but personally I just feel we have seen the best of Hughes in a Rams shirt and I just have a feeling if he's gonna shine it will be elsewhere.

valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:30 am

Never sell your best players....would be my point. Pearson tried to do it with Chris Martin...look where we finished and where Fulham finished!....just saying...
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 15 May 2017, 9:45 am

asotrsott wrote:Remember when we thought Tom Huddlestone was the best thing .....flogged him to Spurs...we could have mugged them for millions...but no.....

Cash in on Hughes and get a decent Centre Back!

Tom could and should have gone for far more than we got, asotrsott. The problem was that the Amigos needed a few bob to pay the bank. Failure to pay would be catastrophic.

I don't know if we hawked Tom around he clubs or if it was his agent or if Spurs somehow found out about our urgent financial difficulty. Whatever, the upshot was they got him for £600K rising to 2 and a bit million if something of the remotest possibility in the order of Gresley Rovers winning the Champions League were to somehow happen.

How remote? One of the clauses involved Tom and  a World Cup Final.........

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4298
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 15 May 2017, 9:59 am

valakari wrote:Never sell your best players....would be my point. Pearson tried to do it with Chris Martin...look where we finished and where Fulham finished!....just saying...

Yeh Val, look at Southampton, They sold Alan Shearer, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain, star players of the Southampton teams of the time and look where that got them!....just saying....
    valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 15 May 2017, 5:59 pm

They were kids when sold, not their best players...and look at what they got for them...
    Can't see tens of millions coming in for our players, other clubs will try to get them on the cheap..which is normally how e sell them....and then we have to replace them ...for loads more than we got...
    How about shifting the players we dont actually want...and recruiting ones we do for a change...now there's an idea Bang head
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 15 May 2017, 8:47 pm

valakari wrote:
    How about shifting the players we don't actually want...and recruiting ones we do for a change...now there's an idea Bang head

.... like that's ever going to happen LOL roll

valakari

Post by valakari on Tue 16 May 2017, 12:33 am

Some of the players that we want out, Mel will probably do a deal with and pay them off..rather than have a years salary not doing anything. Others will get sold on the cheap...the Derby way...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 7:57 am